Author Topic: Best Mangos 2021  (Read 5762 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Best Mangos 2021
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2021, 08:39:35 PM »
In order, kind of:

Ceci Love
Lemon Zest
Krypto/K3
Sweet Tart
early Orange Sherbets. The later ones haven'e been as awesome.
Kesar
Orange Essence
Sunny
Had some fantastic Mallikas, and several that sucked.
Probably left a few off the list.

Had what I believe was labeled as Pairi Saly, or something like that. Very good.  Sweet, spicy, tad acid, no fiber. Has anyone heard of this mango, or something similar to that name?

Did not have Pineapple Pleasure or Piņa Colada this year, and yet to try a Sugarloaf.

One thing I've noticed with Sweet Tart is that it is hard to tell when ripe enough for perfect flavor, but its pretty forgiving and still really good when picked too early. A tad chalk has grown on me. Was told to look for yellow streaks.

Ceci Love was so good this year, did some chopping and added 9 more grafts to the Glenn tree. It already had 2, that are now 5 small branches.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:42:40 PM by roblack »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2021, 09:03:35 PM »
In order, kind of:

Ceci Love
Lemon Zest
Krypto/K3
Sweet Tart
early Orange Sherbets. The later ones haven'e been as awesome.
Kesar
Orange Essence
Sunny
Had some fantastic Mallikas, and several that sucked.
Probably left a few off the list.

Had what I believe was labeled as Pairi Saly, or something like that. Very good.  Sweet, spicy, tad acid, no fiber. Has anyone heard of this mango, or something similar to that name?

Did not have Pineapple Pleasure or Piņa Colada this year, and yet to try a Sugarloaf.

One thing I've noticed with Sweet Tart is that it is hard to tell when ripe enough for perfect flavor, but its pretty forgiving and still really good when picked too early. A tad chalk has grown on me. Was told to look for yellow streaks.

Ceci Love was so good this year, did some chopping and added 9 more grafts to the Glenn tree. It already had 2, that are now 5 small branches.

Son Pari?
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2021, 09:39:52 PM »
Well since you both jog my memory. I had one Son Pari  and I still have another one on the graft that I did last season.It is quite excellent. Also I finally had a phoenix at Peak now I understand why some folks like it so much. I now have much love for Karen Michelle and Venus and Cecilove. The Pina Coladas where quite excited this season. I still have K3 Kryptonite Dynamite Kathy and cotton candy in the hopper or finny box whichever term you prefer
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:49:41 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2021, 10:12:10 PM »
Well since you both jog my memory. I had one Son Pari  and I still have another one on the graft that I did last season.It is quite excellent. Also I finally had a phoenix at Peak now I understand why some folks like it so much. I now have much love for Karen Michelle and Venus and Cecilove. The Pina Coladas where quite excited this season. I still have K3 Kryptonite Dynamite Kathy and cotton candy in the hopper or finny box whichever term you prefer

A well ripened Phoenix is an excellent mango.

Let me know how your Cotton Candy is.
- Rob

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2021, 11:57:33 PM »

Paheri, Pirie is a north indian mango, Green on the outside, round and very fiberless, but strongly alternate bearing, even less if grown in warm wintered climates.

That could be the one, it's well regarded, considered similar to 'bombay'.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2021, 12:11:55 AM »

Paheri, Pirie is a north indian mango, Green on the outside, round and very fiberless, but strongly alternate bearing, even less if grown in warm wintered climates.

That could be the one, it's well regarded, considered similar to 'bombay'.

You can also add White Piri to that group.  A descendant of Paheri that is Hawaiian in origin, its known to be better than its parent.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2021, 08:11:19 PM »
Cotton candy wow! My whole mango Journey started with one rosi gold that caused me to Google mango varieties. The first hit was cotton candy from the tropical Acre Farms website. Cotton candy reminded me of when I was a kid and went to the State Fair. I had an obsession with cotton candy even though I never tasted it and the trees weren't available in my area. As I studied Tropical Acres website and all the many varieties. I finally came to the point where I said what is cotton candies claim to fame it sweet. So I started to discover and try other varieties and planting those trees. Most were very sweet so I didn't think much of cotton candy. Now that I've tried it for the first time wow it is much more than just sweet it is phenomenal. I was already thinking  of grafting because it is a late variety onto my M4. But now it is on the top of my grafting priority list. We had one pina colada that was sweet it was almost a  powdery granule sugar sweet. And I got that from the cotton candy so I can see why they named it that. Wow I'm really taken aback I wasn't expecting it to be that good. The good news is I still have another one on the table. Oh boy if only I had a ferris wheel in my backyard :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 08:15:21 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2021, 04:46:47 PM »
Mulgoba and Janardhan Pasand were my standouts this year.  Son Pari and Jehangir were my disappointments.

--  Adding Pedda Rasam as a standout -- really, really good this year.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 03:26:59 PM by noochka1 »

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2021, 05:40:54 PM »
Julie, Carrie and Sweet tart were so good!!!
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2021, 08:59:00 PM »
Just had for the first time ever a buxton spice. It definitely lived up to its name it was amazingly spicy.It reminded me of the peak Graham I got from truly tropical Chris. The first thing my wife said is I must have that tree. She actually wants to put it in the front yard but that's not going to happen. I will graft it on to one of the other trees. Also I talked to a Trinidadian last night and he says they prefer ice cream over Julie. We just had one of our three ice creams that our tree produce this year.It was better than the ones I got from South Florida. For a yellow mango it had a lot of spice. Since it is it's first crop I am very well pleased. We also had a Sophie frey yesterday. We like that mango just as much as we do to Juliet. Right now I'm eating one of my Sweet Tarts we are just starting to pick. The ones we had a little earlier were to tart but this one is just about right. And this is its first crop so I am also well please.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2021, 09:55:11 PM »

favorites of 2021 are
sweet tart
honey kiss
lemon zest
mallika

least favorites are
duncan
buxton spice
carrie

It's nice to see that everyone likes different types of mangoes and mango flavor types.  8)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2021, 11:30:58 PM »

favorites of 2021 are
sweet tart
honey kiss
lemon zest
mallika

least favorites are
duncan
buxton spice
carrie

It's nice to see that everyone likes different types of mangoes and mango flavor types.  8)
Did you have them all shipped to you?
John

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2021, 07:56:16 AM »
My 1 tree old enough (20yrs) to produce is Kent.  I loved them!
I finish ripe in sun & then put in fridge, eat cold.  Swear some tasted like orange sherbet.
18.5 brix was highest i tested with $20 tool.  Were yum!
Copper spraying often before panicles opened & after pea size certainly was worth it.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »
My 1 tree old enough (20yrs) to produce is Kent.  I loved them!
I finish ripe in sun & then put in fridge, eat cold.  Swear some tasted like orange sherbet.
18.5 brix was highest i tested with $20 tool.  Were yum!
Copper spraying often before panicles opened & after pea size certainly was worth it.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed mango season. I always did have confidence that you were capable of reading a fungicide label. I have never tried Kent so maybe next season. Just to get out of town, I can drive down and buy half-dozen from you. I was able to get a handle on my anthracnose prone tree and feeling more confident about next season :)

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2021, 10:16:13 AM »

favorites of 2021 are
sweet tart
honey kiss
lemon zest
mallika

least favorites are
duncan
buxton spice
carrie

Was able to make a trip down to FL last week. Tropical Acres Farms and other forum members were nice enough to share with me :) .

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2021, 12:20:37 PM »

favorites of 2021 are
sweet tart
honey kiss
lemon zest
mallika

least favorites are
duncan
buxton spice
carrie

Was able to make a trip down to FL last week. Tropical Acres Farms and other forum members were nice enough to share with me :) .
That is way cool! If you make that trip next season and make a pit stop in Central Florida.  I will be in a position to hook you up. There is a local seedling that is very good. I may be able to get some for you. I think you will very much enjoy 😊
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:37:04 PM by bovine421 »

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2021, 02:37:38 PM »
Best - Zinc

Worst - Cotton Candy

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2021, 09:48:07 PM »

favorites of 2021 are
sweet tart
honey kiss
lemon zest
mallika

least favorites are
duncan
buxton spice
carrie

That is way cool! If you make that trip next season and make a pit stop in Central Florida.  I will be in a position to hook you up. There is a local seedling that is very good. I may be able to get some for you. I think you will very much enjoy
Thanks Bovine, would love to stop by next time I'm in the area! Slowly getting mango fever!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:08:25 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2021, 07:54:02 AM »
This is the second year that I had a crop on Cotton Candy. My tree was planted as a 3 gallon the first year they were available.
Last year I had 13 fruit, 11 of which ripened so unevenly that they were terrible, hard very unripe flesh on about 25 percent of each individual fruit,maybe 25 percent delicious,and overripe mango death on half of each fruit. The two perfect fruit were the best mangoes of the year last year. They had some MBSS and were done by the first week of July last year.
    THIS YEAR, almost no MBSS, the crop was about 40 fruit, picked the first fruit about mid June,about 2 weeks later than last year. Still had uneven ripening on 80 percent of fruit, but not as bad as last year. Maybe 40 percent of the fruit had some uneven ripening but were fully edible and pretty good.  About 20 percent were awesome.
 That still leaves about 40 percent of the fruit that only had some edible portions. A small percentage of fruit cracked after heavy rains. I picked at various stages of ripening and still had uneven ripening issues no matter when they were picked. Tree is still holding about a half dozen fruit now on July 28th.
  Wondering if the uneven ripening will improve as the tree ages or if I should top work the tree this year. Two years in a row it has been on my best AND worst list.....

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2021, 08:29:46 AM »
This is the second year that I had a crop on Cotton Candy. My tree was planted as a 3 gallon the first year they were available.
Last year I had 13 fruit, 11 of which ripened so unevenly that they were terrible, hard very unripe flesh on about 25 percent of each individual fruit,maybe 25 percent delicious,and overripe mango death on half of each fruit. The two perfect fruit were the best mangoes of the year last year. They had some MBSS and were done by the first week of July last year.
    THIS YEAR, almost no MBSS, the crop was about 40 fruit, picked the first fruit about mid June,about 2 weeks later than last year. Still had uneven ripening on 80 percent of fruit, but not as bad as last year. Maybe 40 percent of the fruit had some uneven ripening but were fully edible and pretty good.  About 20 percent were awesome.
 That still leaves about 40 percent of the fruit that only had some edible portions. A small percentage of fruit cracked after heavy rains. I picked at various stages of ripening and still had uneven ripening issues no matter when they were picked. Tree is still holding about a half dozen fruit now on July 28th.
  Wondering if the uneven ripening will improve as the tree ages or if I should top work the tree this year. Two years in a row it has been on my best AND worst list.....
Just my two cents but I say give it more time.What I really want to know is how is  Little Gem this season. I have four on the tree that I have not picked yet.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 08:48:37 AM by bovine421 »

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
Little Gem is doing great as usual. Just started picking about 14 days ago, one or two of the ripest each day or so. Ate one yesterday that tasted a lot like a Graham . Close to a hundred fruit on the Little Gem tree this year. Ate my first and only Dwarf Hawaiian this morning and it tasted very similar to Little Gem but was smaller and had more fiber.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2021, 11:08:23 AM »
Just my two cents but I say give it more time.What I really want to know is how is  Little Gem this season. I have four on the tree that I have not picked yet.

I'd give it some more time Tony just to make sure, but that's just me.

Bovine, our Lil' Gem was decent (1st year in ground) but it didn't compare to the fruit Tony gave us at the end of last season, that was top notch!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2021, 12:05:29 PM »
What Tony is reporting is pure music to my ears. The anticipation of trying my little gems. Is like Christmas in July. I have had an awesome mango season this far and it's not over yet. I have had the opportunity to taste so many mango varieties at Peak flavor this season. When you plant a tree and you read all the hype. There's always still a question of doubt in your mind until you finally get to taste it at Peak. For me one of them was Sugarloaf.I had a couple early in the season and while they were sweet there was no really wow factor there. But on the third Sugarloaf was astounding delicious and complex. I finally got to try cotton candy and on the first cotton candy mango. I said I have to have that tree. The very next day I found a 15 gallon locally. Two trees I was starting to think I had buyer's remorse Ice cream and M4. M4 I had some last season and although they were sweet I just couldn't remember them being that great. We only had one this season but it washed all those doubts away I looked at my wife and said are you glad I planted the tree. The answer was oh yes! Ice cream I had several from South Florida and one locally also very sweet nothing special. Until we picked the ones on our tree  So rich and creamy my wife said wow! For a yellow mango this has a lot of spice. Just the day before I talk to a Trinidadian who told me they prefer that over Julie. As far as spice goes the one that knock my socks off was Buxton Spice. It reminded me of the Graham that Truly Tropical Chris gave me last year. I immediately visited my West Indian mango mentor and he connected with me with a somewhat local collector that happened to have a 15 gallon Buxton Spice. Will pick up this weekend. There are two other awesome mangoes I tried this year that I would love to do a side-by-side taste test with are
 CeCilove and Kathy.
 Another very good mango was Super Alphonso that I got from Zill high performance. Even though I'm not sure it was Alphonso. My wife claims it was super. Since she's been eating mangoes before she could walk. I respect her opinion.

Dwarf Hawaiian is really growing very nicely this season
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:13:30 PM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »
Bo, you are officially a mango aficionado!
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2021, 01:19:57 PM »
Bo, you are officially a mango aficionado!

No! Not until I pass the online course from Tropical Acre Farms.  Mango 101
I have heard Alex does not grade on a curve . LOL
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 01:56:38 PM by bovine421 »