Author Topic: What Avocado varieties do I need to have avocados year-round?  (Read 1302 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
I currently have haas and zutano which begin season in late november through into the summer.

I have just added jan boyce which supposedly ripens in april and march onward.

Should I be therefore expecting avocados to be available at all times of the year? What varieties would I need to achieve this?

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: What Avocado varieties do I need to have avocados year-round?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:12:23 PM »
there are way to many combo's but a couple i have done recently are #1 bacon jan.-mar. gwen mar.-sep. lamb hass july-dec. #2 nimlioh aug.-dec.- sir prize mar.-july-nabal-july-dec ==== these are both frankin/multi graft trees i have grafted recently BUT BEST to look at 1 of the lists of types of avocados and pick from there paying attention to size and growth type.          Regards   Patrick

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 03:05:33 AM »
maybe this will help. where did you get your jan boyce? that's one on my list to get.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:07:49 AM by arc310 »

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 03:26:18 AM »
the growth habit of the tree is very important , you would not want to put a gwen or a gem on the same tree as a fuerte or hellen there are several sights you can go to that have all the info on all the different avocado varieties

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 04:55:47 PM »
the growth habit of the tree is very important , you would not want to put a gwen or a gem on the same tree as a fuerte or hellen there are several sights you can go to that have all the info on all the different avocado varieties

I too have a cocktail tree so it would be helpful if you included a link to the several sights you’re referring to. Thanks.
Nate

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 02:57:59 AM »
nate dogg , go to the internet type in " julie frink avocado "  you will find everything there. sorry but i do not know how to do a link.        Regards     Patrick