Author Topic: New Additions to My Collection  (Read 8895 times)

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
New Additions to My Collection
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:19:57 AM »
This forum is really bad influence. My addiction to tropical fruits especially mangos is getting worse and worse. Here are some of the new additions to my growing collection and also some newly repotted treess I had before.

Newly Repoted Black Pearl Wax Jambu

Carrie

Choc Anon

Coconut Cream

Gold Nugget

Harvest Moon

Glenn

Kent

Lemon Zest

Malika

Manila Seedling

Nam Doc Mai

Pickering

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
Re: New Additions to My Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:21:01 AM »
This forum is really bad influence. My addiction to tropical fruits especially mangos is getting worse and worse.

I totally agree-  My list of WANTS just grows daily!

Great looking plants and nice mango collection.  Thanks for sharing.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:55:48 AM »
You have a very NICE collection of mango trees! Do you ever get frost/freeze in Corona? I'm guessing it must get cold since you're growing mostly in containers. Your mix looks good (Al's Mix)?

Good luck with your trees!

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
gtw7983,   looks like a mahvuhlous collection!

I think we should meet for lunch, in July 2015, at your place  :)

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »
Thanks for the comments, folks.
GwenninPR, it is good to know there are more addicts like me out there  ;)
Pug, Corona, CA does gets cold for four months out of a year, but rarely hard freezes. I grow in pots mainly because the soil in my yard is too badly drained to grow mango trees well. I am also out of spaces because my yard is already heavily planted. Yes, it is Al's gritty mix. I just started using it since last year, so still too early to say how it works in my dry climate. Your success with that beautiful Glenn in gritty mix is one of the reasons I decided to try the mix. Thank you! Your pugging experiences also excites me, I will probably pug most of my mangos when it gets warmer next month.
Mangomandan, lunch at my place in 2015 sounds great! You are always welcomed, but you have to bring me at least a 3 gallon Maha Chanok from FL  :D

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:50:35 AM »
Nice mango collection!  :)
Alexi

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:23:42 AM »
Really nice mango collection! Got to cost much to ship them to California.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
This forum is really bad influence. My addiction to tropical fruits especially mangos is getting worse and worse.
I totally agree-  My list of WANTS just grows daily!

Same over here. I never wanted that many mangos, now I can't stop  :P

A very nice collection of cultivars!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »
GTW - yes, very nice trees - and from one SoCal mango addict to another:  It only stops when you fill up
all the spaces around your house and have no room left....

....then you starting dreaming of your NEXT property that you'll fill up just as quickly!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to currentlyl report that I have reached my limit    :-\

FangoftheMango

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »
MangoDog, I wish I could have nice sandy soil like you do so that I can plant all my mangos out. I just don't have good results with my heavy clay soil. Hopefully, my mangos could flourish in pots and I can plant them out when I move to another property in the future. Maybe Palm Spring?  ;D

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »
MangoDog, I wish I could have nice sandy soil like you do so that I can plant all my mangos out. I just don't have good results with my heavy clay soil. Hopefully, my mangos could flourish in pots and I can plant them out when I move to another property in the future. Maybe Palm Spring?  ;D

Perhaps using a lot of soil buster and organic material before hand will help loosen the soil up.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »
yEAH,  GTW - why not try some soil busting stuff to get at least one or two in the ground, now?

(...although, the house prices are "dirt" cheap here now...    ::)   )

MangoFan(g)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »
Heard you could get some good deals out there. Only drawbacks... jobs are scarce, and water prices are only going to go up :(. I like North San Diego County, more rain and less heat.

BTW, MangoFang you going to Green Scene?

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »
MangoDog and nullzero,
Thanks for the advice regarding soil busting stuff. I actually tired and I already planted four mangos in the ground, which include Alphonso, Valencia Pride, Glenn and Gold Nugget. I want to wait and see how these perform and probably plant more out later.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
gtw7983

Wow, that's quite a collection for a newbie! I like to add a word of advice, save you best spot for your LZ, CC and HM. I want to remind you that you live in a very marginal area for mangos. You will need to protect them big time in the winter if you don't want to lose them like my friend Jesus. Jesus and I stated collecting mangos two years ago we each purchase about 4 or 5. he lost EVERY single tree(5) because he was over confidence because of the incredible growth of his trees during the first six months. By Jan. he had lost ALL of them! BTW, he lives in the Norco/Chino/Ontario area.

JF

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »
Wow quite an orchard there gtw!  In addition to the soil amending maybe check out 'lasagna gardening'.

good luck,
-Ethan

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 12:24:48 AM »
Nulls - wasn't planning to - what exactly is "Green Scene"?

ToothoftheMango

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 12:28:11 AM »
jesus is in chino?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »
Nulls - wasn't planning to - what exactly is "Green Scene"?

ToothoftheMango

Its a big spring time plant sale, with food and some other stuff. The CRFG will be there, thats where I got my Lucuma seedling and Sabara jaboticaba  http://fullertonarboretum.org/event_green.php

Great advice Ethan brought up on the lasagna gardening. Did this to a friends yard, and it flourished with Yacon, Taro, and other vegetables.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:33:36 AM by nullzero »

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »
I agree this forum is a bad influence. I went to ECHO today and could not resist a beautiful little Julie mango flowering her heart out. From this forum, I knew I could grow her in a pot and wheel her into my garage when it gets cold in the winter. Except I don't have a garage. Still, I have this picture in my mind of my large potted Julie being wheeled into protection.

I also purchased three citrus that are relatively cold hardy: Dancy, Parson Brown and Hamlin. I couldn't resist the fragrance of those citrus blossoms!

I also purchased some Maridol papaya seeds. One website claims they are somewhat frost tolerant and can be grown in zone 9b. We shall see.

Erica

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 08:06:32 PM »
I agree this forum is a bad influence. I went to ECHO today and could not resist a beautiful little Julie mango flowering her heart out. From this forum, I knew I could grow her in a pot and wheel her into my garage when it gets cold in the winter. Except I don't have a garage. Still, I have this picture in my mind of my large potted Julie being wheeled into protection.

I also purchased three citrus that are relatively cold hardy: Dancy, Parson Brown and Hamlin. I couldn't resist the fragrance of those citrus blossoms!

I also purchased some Maridol papaya seeds. One website claims they are somewhat frost tolerant and can be grown in zone 9b. We shall see.

Erica

see any interesting animal feeding raising schemes at ECHO like rabbits chickens??  I visited them back in the stone age 1989. ECHO is Christian agricultural missionary outreach to the 3rd world trying to help with better ag techniques. You cannot go wrong with Dancy tangerine, hardy and an original. Best after some cold near freeze weather it's all good.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »
Sweet collection, GTW.  Now you'd just have to clear out the yard to make room for them mango trees, after you amend the soil of course  ;D
Tim

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
jesus is in chino?
Next to Chino in Ontario off the 60 by Euclid.

JF

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 03:43:59 AM »
JF, the freeze that killed Jesus' mangos, was it just one really hard freeze that happened only once in a while? Or was it regular in his area?
I've been living in south Corona for almost 3 years; and my in ground longan tree, which is the one tropical I've had for the longest time, has had no problem with the freezes. My house is off hwy 15 south bound about 8 miles south of where 15 and 91 meets. My area does get pretty cold in winters. It is often reported to dip into upper 20s, but so far I've never experienced freeze damages with my lychees, longans and some mangos I got one year ago. Although most of the mango trees in the pictures I posted are just acquired from FL and Arizona a couple weeks ago. So hopefully my micro climate is ok for my trees; but I do notice most of my tropicals grow pretty slowly; and my mangos only had one flush each year, which is  very frustrating. I guess time will tell how the mangos perform here. Keeping my fingers crossed  :-\