Author Topic: Azores - Pictures from my travels  (Read 5857 times)

jackedfruit

• Sweden, Zone 7a / Greenhouse
    • View Profile
Azores - Pictures from my travels
« on: August 30, 2015, 10:01:24 AM »
I recently came back from a trip to Sao Miguel, Azores and thought it’d be fun to share some pictures of what they got growing on this peculiar island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. 

Given a USDA-zone the island would be 11a-11b but that isn’t applicable, at all. The climate is quite variable and there are a lot of micro-climates but generally speaking it’s humid and windy with temps that rarely exceeds 85*F or goes below 50*F. Based on my judgment a lot of the Myrtaceaes would grow well there, maybe even thrive.

Pretty unique trees, Metrosideros excelsa and Ficus macrophylla

Azores are the only ones in Europe with a commercial production of pineapple

On the northern side of the island (which is much cooler and rainier) there's two of only a handful of tea plantations located in Europe, Porto Formoso and Gorreana.

Missed cherimoya season which runs from October till March

Assorted fruits. Figs, bananas and majacuca (passion fruit) were in season.

I was told by Tiago (azorean here on TFF) to not set my expectations to high and I think that’s a valid recommendation, it isn't a fruit-fanatics heaven. Still, it's been a great experience visiting Sao Miguel it's a really beautiful place with the friendliest natives I've ever encountered on a European island.

dreamfrutas

• Let´s Trade!
    • View Profile
Re: Azores - Pictures from my travels
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing, even if not plenty of rare fruits.

No opportunity to see the Madeira Blueberry? Vacciinium padifolium?

Is really beautiful. I tried to grow it a few years ago with no success. Looking for seeds :)

http://inaturalist.ca/taxa/342121-Vaccinium-padifolium

Cheers

C

jackedfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing, even if not plenty of rare fruits.

No opportunity to see the Madeira Blueberry? Vacciinium padifolium?

Is really beautiful. I tried to grow it a few years ago with no success. Looking for seeds :)

http://inaturalist.ca/taxa/342121-Vaccinium-padifolium

Cheers

C

Nope, think that one's endemic to Madeira but Azores have their own endemic Ericaceae,  Vacciunium cylindraceum. They are pretty similar so you could try to grow it and see if you have better success, but it will probably be even harder to get seeds from that one.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:16:56 PM »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 07:55:45 PM »
Wow, hope you have more pics of your trip, that was a tease :). The Azores is a bucket list trip of mine. I have always wanted to visit many of the Atlantic islands, Bermuda, the Canaries, the Azores, Falklands, and Ascension...one day.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 11:29:50 PM »
jackedfruit - so....would mango do well in the Azores, do you think?

Gary

jackedfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »
Wow, hope you have more pics of your trip, that was a tease :). The Azores is a bucket list trip of mine. I have always wanted to visit many of the Atlantic islands, Bermuda, the Canaries, the Azores, Falklands, and Ascension...one day.

Took a few hundred pics, there's a lot of things and places to immortalize there! In particular, if you ever get there (I'm sure you will), I'd recommend you to visit the Terra Nostra garden in Furnas, the tree fern forest there is quite breath-taking.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:17:02 PM by jackedfruit »

jackedfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 02:14:01 PM »
jackedfruit - so....would mango do well in the Azores, do you think?

Gary

Gary,

I know forum member "azorean" grows mangoes there but he's on a different island (climates between the nine islands differ quite dramatically). With that said, given a sheltered position, kept low and controlled for anthracnose I'm pretty sure there're varieties that would do well there.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:18 PM »

That is not correct. Pineapples are also commercially grown in Canary Islands ;)

Cool pics, thanks for sharing :)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

jackedfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 05:55:19 AM »

That is not correct. Pineapples are also commercially grown in Canary Islands ;)

Cool pics, thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for the correction Felipe; I did not know there’s a commercialized production in the Canary Islands. You do have a drier (maybe except for La Gomera) and warmer climate there - so are you able to grow them outdoors or is the production in greenhouses there too?

jackedfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 06:01:16 AM »
more...
https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=20fbe90afae88f476afc00b16268e4d6&oe=55E9DDC3

Wow, it seems to be pretty bad. Let's hope there's not to much of an economic damage, the island definitely won't need that!

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 06:31:25 AM »
Well done jackedfruit!
I am glad you enjoyed São Miguel, I hope my advices were useful. Next time come to Pico and I will give you a guided tour! ;)

Yes, I do grow mangoes on the island of Pico, as well as a great variety of (Brazilian) Myrtacea, etc. One day I'll post some pictures. The island has two main parts: one volcanic, warmer, rocky and more flat; the other more mountainous, lush vegetation, humid and rich soil.

My only real problem is not rainfall or temperature but the wind (and my orchard is 20metres away from the cliff and the ocean). All sort of tropical (perhaps not the ultra-tropicals) can grow here especially in wind-protected places.

I also grow coffee. I think this island and the island of São Jorge are the only places in Europe to grow coffee? Or am I wrong (Canary island people any idea?).

Cheers,

T

jackedfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 10:15:24 AM »
Well done jackedfruit!
I am glad you enjoyed São Miguel, I hope my advices were useful. Next time come to Pico and I will give you a guided tour! ;)

Thanks Tiago, there's a lot to see and you're advices were most helpful in the selection process of what places to prioritize. Could probably have stayed for a lot longer without ever running out of things to explore!

Please do post some pictures, "one day"  ;), it'd be fun to see what you've got going in-ground on Pico!

In an indefinite future, when I return, I might take you up on that offer!

Keep growing,
Marcus

ADD: Oh, I almost forgot. Do you know what variety of figs it is in the pictures? Brought home a few cuttings so would be nice to know :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:19:46 AM by jackedfruit »

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »
Reading this post took me back to the beautiful Azores Arquipelago.  I lived 3 years in Terceira Island, long time ago.   I visited São Miguel, Pico, and Faial while living there. I would say that São Miguel was the one with the warmest sub-tropical climate. The island is absolutely beautiful, and the people are friendly like most azoreans.  Maybe next year, I will go visit a few friends in Terceira and São Miguel.   I am attached to the Azores forever. Terceira  Island is my son's birthplace!
If you guys have a chance, go visit the Azores islands! Beautiful!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the correction Felipe; I did not know there’s a commercialized production in the Canary Islands. You do have a drier (maybe except for La Gomera) and warmer climate there - so are you able to grow them outdoors or is the production in greenhouses there too?

Our climate is drier, the temperatures are higher and we have more sun irradiation. Pineapples are grown outdoors. Some crops (bananas, vegetables, etc) are sometimes gown in greenhouses (depending on the location) to protect from heat, wind, avoid fluctuations and keep higher humidity levels.

Coffee is also grown commertially here, but on small scale (labour is expensive and tourism brings more cash). In gereal agriculture in neglected here, specially in the bigger islands  :-\

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 08:13:20 AM »
Wow, what a cool thread.  Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Why are the pineapples growing in a tunnel and why are all of the leaves tipped?  They removed at least 12 cms. of each leaf tip??????????

Mark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk