Author Topic: 2 Top Santol varieties  (Read 6033 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
2 Top Santol varieties
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:42:19 AM »

These 2 varieties of santol are considered the best locally and are called Manila and Bangkok.The both have smaller seeds,thinner rind, more useable flesh and a better taste than most of the common ones around.They are reputedly both self fertile.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Top Santol varieties
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:02:52 AM »
It'll be interesting to hear your comments on these after you try them as far as flavor, texture, ease of eating.

Enjoy

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:51:43 AM »
I like the flavor of santol but it's just too tiring to eat!  That is one fruit that does not give up its flesh willingly.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:45:56 AM »
I like santol a lot. The taste reminds me of loquat  ::)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »
Those are pretty looking Santols, I need to get some seeds to a good looking Santol.
- David Antonio Garcia

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »
Especially interesting to see those fruits. I had not had to think of or question the following until now. Whatnot I but what I had gathered 30 or so years ago was that Manila and Bangkok are synonyms. That Bangkok got imported into Philippines where it got called Manila.

PErsonally I like the tree more than the fruit. Where the fruit is abundant it is not regarded as premier tucker. In Kota Bharu and I suspect othe rplaces, the predominant use is pickled
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »
Recher the two types above currently called Manila and Bangkok are quite different from each other.It could be that stall holders at rusty's just pin a name of known good types onto what they have.They also may be tryinmg to appeal to their thai and phillipine customers.Better types have a fair thickness of edible flesh just under the rind as well as the softer flesh that clings to the seeds.These 2 are about 550g each but occasional fruit are much larger.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »
Hi Mike,
Them santols must be nice to gnaw on...Mr. Digby, says they are a frustrating fruit to eat, as the flesh clings tenaciously to the seed...this sounds like fun ;D The tree also gets freak'n huge :o 8)

Santol - Cape Trib Exotic Fruit Farm

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:28:14 PM »
I call santol the lollipop fruit, as you have to suck on them for so long. A freestone santol would be a good fruit. As they are i consider them a kiddie fruit. I like the name kiddie fruit betten than minor fruit, as kids often have good taste and a lot more patience with eating them.  ;) Minor sound so demeaning.  :o
I'm guessing those fruits from Rusty's come from seedling trees? If so there could be lots of variation, and could explain why one cultivar replanted from seed has different shapes.
Bangkok santols can be found in Thailand that are really huge, about the size of a grapefruit.
Does anyone have access to the red santol?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 05:36:24 PM »
2 to 3lbs seems to be the biggest that I ever see in NQ for santol and this pair at a bit over a pound each are rather modest in size.They are nearly always seedlings and I suppose people would only plant seeds from better fruit.
I have seen fruit from trees labelled as reds being just plain yellow and have not seen red fruit before.It is the actual color of the fruit the red refers to?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »
2 to 3lbs seems to be the biggest that I ever see in NQ for santol and this pair at a bit over a pound each are rather modest in size.They are nearly always seedlings and I suppose people would only plant seeds from better fruit.
I have seen fruit from trees labelled as reds being just plain yellow and have not seen red fruit before.It is the actual color of the fruit the red refers to?

Yes, the exterior of the fruit is red. If those fruits are from seedlings then they aren't Bangkok or Manila. Here also most santol trees are from seedlings. In Thailand they have grafted trees and select for giant good tasting fruits.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 10:25:38 PM »

The 2 varieties have an abundance of flesh that does hang on close to the seed.Both have very nice edible almost all the way to the skin but have quite different flavors.The more flattened one is also a little sweeter with any lemon taste.These are the 2 best types I have tried and way better than santols I have tried in Thailand.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 06:24:24 AM »
Hi MIke,
The fly totally agrees with you, on the flavour ;D A Phillipino lady commented on Mr. Digby's vid and said that you can also eat the orange flesh, when the white flesh and seeds are removed 8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 07:47:44 AM »
Sometimes it's great being stuck in traffic. Today I noticed a nice Bangkok red santos tree in full fruit while lined up outside a bunnings. Will go back and pick a few in the next week. It's growing well as a street tree. Such a pretty tree at this time of year.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »

I know I showed the big classic santols manila and Bangkok but I'm told by santol enthusiasts there are better eating types.I was given these small rough skinned ugly looking fruit that are pretty good to eat.The flesh comes away from the seeds more easily,they are sweeter and the inside rind is more soft and edible.I don't know if they are a named type.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »
We don't have so many varieties here but the smaller ones seem to have more flavor and the very large ones a soft, easily removed pulp that is a little bland.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 07:58:42 PM »
It is a bit closer to SE Asia here where they come from so it is easier to get different types coming in .They were brought here mostly by people who grew up with santol in the Philippines and Thailand.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk