Author Topic: Major winter storm!  (Read 7554 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Major winter storm!
« on: February 14, 2021, 08:37:31 AM »
It's bad here in central Texas, historic winter lows, ice, snow.  Already had a major ice storm resulting in the usual - accidents, trees and utility poles down and the worse is yet to come beginning about 6:00 p.m. tonight with the arrival of the 3rd winter storm out of 5 to move thru.  Have not been above freezing for days which will not let up until Friday.  New lows of 2F and 3F coming - unprecedented for us.  Predictions is for up to 6" of snow tonight with sleet. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Fredericksburg&state=TX&site=EWX&lat=30.2705&lon=-98.8722

No way to get into town for a generator and such but I did fill up the big propane tank that services the greenhouse, but the main overhead fan driven heater relies on electricity which we constantly lose with utility failures and maybe brownouts which are forecasted for the next few days.

I have three filled 20# tanks, a free standing 80K BTU heater and a 15K BTU tank top heater in the greenhouse but no way to circulate the air if we lose electricity.  Am taking cuttings, mulching the trunks, etc.  Took me a while to get in the greenhouse thanks to 3" of ice blocking the door and everything frozen shut.  So far all is well regarding my stock. 

V.D. weekend is a big money maker for town, it's dead.  55+ wineries, breweries, restaurants, lodging, etc.  big loss.  Feel for them after all this Covid stuff although Texas is open in that regard.

After the heater failure in 2018 and a big loss don't know if I can do this again.  My vineyard is probably toast. 

Wish us Texan tropical fruit growers luck!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:55:22 AM by Mark in Texas »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Major winter storm!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 11:22:28 AM »
Wishing you and all others dealing with this storm the best of luck and a speedy recovery!

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 11:37:41 AM »
Wow Mark you guys have been in the cooler. 27-30F for three days straight is extremely unusual. And 2-3 coming up is brutal. Up here in Alpine it's 18 now and 7 predicted tonight. My greenhouse will be fine...unless the power goes out. I've got blooming fruit trees. It's set on 34F just to get thru this freeze. Then back to 80/50F to grow out some stone fruits.

I'm planning to move within a year and my next greenhouse will have solar panels and battery storage. That looks like the best solution to power issues. I once had a backup standby generator. The solar setup seems like a much better idea going forward.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 11:45:18 AM »
Hope you pull though this cold snap fine Mark, wishing for warmer weather you way.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 11:55:13 AM »
Wouldn't snow cover prevent solar pannels from working? In that case the system would only be able to run until the battery storage ran out. I was thinking that I read somewhere that solar and wind power typically need a fossil fule generator as a backup because they can be unreliable. The guy I talked to who has an "off grid" house had $50k-$100k worth of batteries and still had a back up generator.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »
Best of luck.  Hope you can keep that greenhouse warm enough.

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »

You could be right. I was thinking of a backup just to run the fan on the natural gas heater in my greenhouse. The motor on that probably isn't over 1/4 hp so that's about 200 watts when running. Even on a cold night it won't run but a fraction of the time. It's not much power if limited to just that essential function. I'll need to price it all out to find out if it's the way to go.

Having the power go out on a hot sunny day is more my worry. But again 200 watts would keep one 36 inch exhaust fan running and that would avoid any heat damage.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 02:09:12 PM by fruitnut1944 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 02:40:44 PM »
I see. If the major concern is heat damage in the summer, solar makes more sense. At least to me anyway.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 03:41:07 PM »
Oh my gosh, Mark!  What the heck is going on down there?  Hang tight!  If it is any consolation, our grapes have made it through -23 without blinking, so keeping our fingers crosses for yours.

Yeah, darn those electric fans that we need to push the heat around our greenhouses!  I wish I knew how to build those heat-driven fans that they set on wood stoves.  I have often wondered if enough of those, up high and pointing  down, would do the trick.

Hoping for the best for you!

Carolyn

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 05:51:17 PM »
That is a fine crop of ice in those photographs. I hope my area does not look like that by tomorrow, but the prediction is for freezing rain. I am not looking forward to that.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 08:00:43 PM »
Kinda reminds me of the 1989 freeze,that one kept coming right across the pond(gulf) and deep into Mexico.

Hope the best for you Mark

Here some old tech http://blog.modernmechanix.com/how-does-it-work-oil-lamp-fan/

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 08:33:55 PM »
Kinda reminds me of the 1989 freeze,that one kept coming right across the pond(gulf) and deep into Mexico.

Here some old tech http://blog.modernmechanix.com/how-does-it-work-oil-lamp-fan/

1989 was cold! We hit 17 at our farm in Sebring. Fascinating, fan by the way!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:35:28 PM by Galatians522 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 09:31:44 PM »

1989 was cold! We hit 17 at our farm in Sebring. Fascinating, fan by the way!

My parents lived on the ocean at Vero Beach and was visiting them at the time...I remember that front.  Power was out, heavy frost and ice everywhere.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »
Very cold, -14F chill this morning with wind which saps greenhouse heat and my hands! 2 big propane heaters going not keeping up, (real world BTU output) total of 110K BTU. Low of 4F (top temp), greenhouse wireless alarm set at 33F kept me up all night firing off and on. Stock looks great though this morn. Scary that I had skins of ice on both 30 gal. black garbage cans sitting near a south wall. If we can get by tonight, got it made.

Next storm this Wednesday will have lows in the teens versus 4F. Mulched above the grafts, took avocado sticks. Thanks for the support, don't want to start over again! Been really stressed out taking care of the disabled wife, greenhouse prep, pets, wild birds, plumbing, etc. No road travel with thick snow over ice. Ardith fruit this morn, snow covered roof.

High in the teens today.   At least we have sunny skies.  Been in the low 20's for many days.

Very nice Ardith fruit, snow covered roof.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 12:50:58 PM »
Very cold, -14F chill this morning with wind which saps greenhouse heat and my hands! 2 big propane heaters going not keeping up, (real world BTU output) total of 110K BTU. Low of 4F (top temp), greenhouse wireless alarm set at 33F kept me up all night firing off and on. Stock looks great though this morn. Scary that I had skins of ice on both 30 gal. black garbage cans sitting near a south wall. If we can get by tonight, got it made.

Next storm this Wednesday will have lows in the teens versus 4F. Mulched above the grafts, took avocado sticks. Thanks for the support, don't want to start over again! Been really stressed out taking care of the disabled wife, greenhouse prep, pets, wild birds, plumbing, etc. No road travel with thick snow over ice. Ardith fruit this morn, snow covered roof.

High in the teens today.   At least we have sunny skies.  Been in the low 20's for many days.

Very nice Ardith fruit, snow covered roof.

that really sucks !!! Take care and I hope everything in your greenhouse survives . Those avocadoes look yummy btw

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 03:19:58 PM »
Rooting for you, Mark in Texas!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 05:02:44 PM »
Internet service is iffy with power outages too. 

Thanks Carolyn, Scott, Rob, Fliptop, Plantinyum  et al.... aint no big thang.....my ass.  Area has shut down with no biz from most if not all businesses.  The HEB grocer chain is closed until further notice, schools are closed, etc.  Wife's sister in Corpus Christi had 18F this morn.

It's 18F at 4:00 p.m.

Take care......

Back to the house after checking the greenhouse. 

View from our house to the highway at sunrise - Anthony Howe's kinetic wind sculpture "Chief" in the turn around, old Xmas store, greenhouse.  Check this genius out.  https://www.howeart.net/

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:05:02 PM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 05:09:34 PM »
Austin roads on my home theater's big screen.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 05:15:19 PM »
that really sucks !!! Take care and I hope everything in your greenhouse survives . Those avocadoes look yummy btw

First Ardith fruit from a graft a few years ago. Tree is 10', trunk girth 2", lignified, holding 5 fruit for the first time.  Sizing up pretty good.  Again many thanks to the fine member who fixed me up with the wood after the 2018 heater failure.  Thanks to him got plenty of Lamb Hass and Sharwil hanging too.  GEM and Reed  is about to bud.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:18:05 PM by Mark in Texas »

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 05:23:29 PM »
Hang in there Brother!

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 12:31:59 AM »
Hey Mark! Hang in there brother. I have material should you need it (hopefully not). Take care
-Chris

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 11:34:44 AM »
Wow that's wild! Didn't imagine that Texas could get this cold, but I guess it's just one of those 30 year things.

At my place we have frequent power outages and I opted for a used light tower diesel generator (with lights removed) which was very affordable and is stupid reliable. 30 gallon tank. 6kw. Key start. Could be worth it over time since the greenhouse is an important part of your life.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 02:52:53 PM »
@lookner
Austin, Texas electric utility: “Customers should be prepared to not have power through Tuesday night and possibly longer.”

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2021, 03:30:49 PM »
@JeffLindner1
Significant ice storm likely over portions of SE TX tonight that may result in widespread damage to power infrastructure and trees north and west of #houston. Ice also possible in portions of Harris, Fort Bend and Liberty counties #houwx #txwx

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 06:37:03 PM »
Internet service is iffy with power outages too. 

Thanks Carolyn, Scott, Rob, Fliptop, Plantinyum  et al.... aint no big thang.....my ass.  Area has shut down with no biz from most if not all businesses.  The HEB grocer chain is closed until further notice, schools are closed, etc.  Wife's sister in Corpus Christi had 18F this morn.

It's 18F at 4:00 p.m.

Take care......
Nice Mark, we visited that artist place on Orcas Is. Wa. years ago has beautiful place his sculptures are a trip!!
hang in Mark 8)

Back to the house after checking the greenhouse. 

View from our house to the highway at sunrise - Anthony Howe's kinetic wind sculpture "Chief" in the turn around, old Xmas store, greenhouse.  Check this genius out.  https://www.howeart.net/