Author Topic: Is precociousness inherited?  (Read 1308 times)

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
Is precociousness inherited?
« on: February 26, 2021, 07:32:42 PM »
It seems like there has been some breeding work by members of this forum with Laaz's precocious PT.  Has anyone noticed if this trait transfer's to hybrid offspring?

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Is precociousness inherited?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 04:18:06 AM »
Attempts in China to transfer this trait from their precocious clone failed.
My hybrids of Laaz clone with 5star are 3  years old and have not flowered yet. Last year I also crossed it  with another poncirus ( SwampLemon).
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 01:02:30 PM »
Ilya11, subjecting your early flowering crosses once again with Laaz's early flowering PT might bring an early flowering trait.   Procimequat is both early flowering, and early fruiting.. .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:06:39 PM by Millet »

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 03:44:52 AM »
Can it make a difference when Laaz's precocious Poncirus is used as female parent? I suspect it has only nucellar seeds. But there might be exceptions when the pollen comes from a vigorious variety (for instance Swingle5Star, Pumelo).

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 09:16:59 AM »
I won`t suspect F1 hybrids with the precocious Poncirus to be precocious as well. But it might be an option to backcross the F1 with prec.Pt or another precocious variety.

Concerning C.wakonai I was reported:
Our recent results here suggest that the early-flowering trait is quickly lost during a backcrossing program (backcrossing to C.reticulata), even when we try to apply high selection pressure for early-flowering.  So I suspect there are recessive allelels involved in early-flowering and it will be necessary to ensure both parents have an early-flowering parent in their pedigree.

It might be similiar with precPt.

I was wondering about if it is an option to to create an edible precocious Citrus first and cross it with precPt or Red Dwarf from Jiri. If genes for precociousness are the same in both parents it might give a chance to find a homozygous hybrid.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 02:09:40 AM by mikkel »

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 02:14:03 PM »
Concerning C.wakonai I was reported by Malcolm Smith:
Our recent results here suggest that the early-flowering trait is quickly lost during a backcrossing program (backcrossing to C.reticulata), even when we try to apply high selection pressure for early-flowering.  So I suspect there are recessive allelels involved in early-flowering and it will be necessary to ensure both parents have an early-flowering parent in their pedigree.
Exactly whaat I'm thinking, this is going to be multi-generational effort. I'm going to cross my preco-pon with poncirus+ for a better tasting poncirus base. My ponc+ hasn't even flowered yet and may not for some years.

I was wondering about if it is an option to to create an edible precocious Citrus first and cross it with precPt or Red Dwarf from Jiri. If genes for precociousness are the same in both parents it might give a chance to find a homozygous hybrid.
Red Dwarf?

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 04:34:10 PM »
Red Dwarf, a precocious FD

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 04:13:46 PM »
One of my Kucle x Poncirus (say "Citrucle") seedlings got four flowers. It will not impress you when I say after four years. What is remarkable is that it got these flowers at a height of only 1m and had no side branches. So a very small plant. It is still so small because I first planted it at the wrong place, too shadowy and too cold. That was why it lost about two years of growth. All its siblings of the same age do not flower even though some are bigger.
When I created my Kucle hybrids I used a pollen mixture among which was dried and frozen pollen of precocious poncirus (the Laaz-type). I would say I have a hybrid of it!

I pollinated my Citrucle with Swamp Lemon and used it decent pollen on C. ichangensis, Calamondin and last but not least on Swamp Lemon and another better tasting poncirus. We will see what comes out of these further crosses.