Author Topic: Mango problem and blooming in November South Florida?!?!?!  (Read 1425 times)

recifecbba

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Mango problem and blooming in November South Florida?!?!?!
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »
Im in Palm Beach county, Florida. Planted this Glenn mango from a nursery a little over a year ago, it has at least double or even triple its mass in the first six or seven months and after that, every new sprout of leaves would look promising and then just darken curl up and fall off before growing. It did this for what seems like 6 months. In summary, In the first six months those little sprouts would take off and unfurl huge leaves in what seemed like days, then in the second six months the sprouts would justshrivel up , darken and die. Alot of the older leaves are now showing brown coloring at the leaf margins, a few fall off, overall the tree still looks ok though. I checked on it again and i see flower buds!! in november??? Ive been fertilizing with composted manure, some fish emulsion, wood chip mulch, azomite, even kelp a few times and even some diluted urine at times. I was thinking maybe  overfertilization/burn?
also on a side note, I planted 4 yuca cuttings at the same time about a year ago. harvested the first one 7 months later and the roots were on the small side but delicious. the other plantings harvested over the next 6 months were increasingly woody, too much fiber.  I thought yuca could be consumed even years after planting? whats up? I didnt fertilize at all. plants grew 13 to 14 feet tall, small trees.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango problem and blooming in November South Florida?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »
reci - I think you said it:

Ive been fertilizing with composted manure, some fish emulsion, wood chip mulch, azomite, even kelp a few times and even some diluted urine at times. I was thinking maybe  overfertilization/burn?

The general rule with mangoes is to DILUTE the fertilizer dose and use it more frequently.  Apparently they are very prone to fertilizer burn.  So your solution might be easy.  Really really soak/water the plant(s) to rinse the fertilizer from the root zone and then see if after a few weeks things perk up...that would be my best guess advice.....

Gary

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
Re: Mango problem and blooming in November South Florida?!?!?!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:20:50 PM »
Looks like salt burn. Check out link

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11996.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk