Author Topic: Container Growing Dwarf Mango's  (Read 31193 times)

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
Container Growing Dwarf Mango's
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:01:25 PM »
Hello,

My local nursery has Pickering, Fairchild, and Ice Cream available.  I want to keep the mango plants in pots for the long-term, and was concerned with them becoming rootbound.  I spoke to one of the nursery employee's, and was told I could plant them in a 60 gallon pot (I'm buying 3g's), and I can leave them there.  I thought I had to size up the pots as the plant grew.  The employee's point was that it's equivalent to planting a tree in the ground.  Is that true, and is this the correct way to successfully grow these varieties?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Container Growing Dwarf Mango's
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:39:15 PM »
Lesson to be learned...you cant always listen to nursery workers as many have no clue.  None of these are true dwarf, Pickering is the closest out of the three.

No, you definitely dont want to plant a 3 gal directly into a 60 gal.  You would want to step it up gradually. 

The Pickering would be the easiest to manage in a pot.  Fairchild would be more difficult.   Ice Cream is not worth growing at all...taste is not great and it has disease issues in Florida. 

A 60 gal is questionable for a Pickering's  lifetime.  You would definitely need to root prune over the yeats and add fresh soil.  You would be much better off with ultimately a 10o gal or larger as the tree marures.

- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 06:02:09 AM »
Thanks Rob.  I'm glad you're confirming what I was thinking.  My initial plan was to use a fabric pot coated with Spin Out to prevent the roots from growing out of the pot.  My concern was damaging the roots once I needed to move the plant to a bigger fabric pot, and from what I understand about Spin Out, it would help mitigate that risk.  The medium I was thinking about using was Fafard or Promix commercial versions.  Does this sound like a good approach or would you recommend a different type of pot / method?

Side note - what top varieties would you recommend for container growing?

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »
I agree, the nursery employee was incorrect. I have a Pickering, Lancetilla, and Malika in pots. My Pickering looks the best of them all. When potting up trees, you definitely want to step up slowly. Check out this link to get a better understanding of root systems growth.https://rootmaker.com/sites/default/files/pdf/4inchRuleWeb.pdf Your plan for fabric pots seems like a good idea. Although, spinout seems unnecessary with the fabric bags. I personally have not had problems with my trees coming through my smart pots. Spin out definitely couldn't hurt though.
For my media I am using the gritty mix in rootmaker pots. I probably won't get them again since I can accomplish the same thing with spinnout/microkote. I am new to the gritty mix but I like it so far. I too plan to leave my mangoes in pots indefinitely. I have heard many people speak of the benefits of the gritty mix and how easy repots/potting up. Some of my trees had spinning roots after I bought them from the nursery, so I'm glad I bare rooted them and repotted.

As far as other varieties, check out PIN's website http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/container-trees.shtml to see a list of good container mango trees with good descriptions.
-Holden

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »
Yes, use fafard or promix.  Do not waste your time and money with gritty mix. 
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »
Thanks Rob.  I'm glad you're confirming what I was thinking.  My initial plan was to use a fabric pot coated with Spin Out to prevent the roots from growing out of the pot.  My concern was damaging the roots once I needed to move the plant to a bigger fabric pot, and from what I understand about Spin Out, it would help mitigate that risk.  The medium I was thinking about using was Fafard or Promix commercial versions.  Does this sound like a good approach or would you recommend a different type of pot / method?

Side note - what top varieties would you recommend for container growing?

Spin-Out is still available?   Been using it for decades and still have a spray can available.  Yes, that is the way to go or a Rootmaker product.   I had a Pickering doing very well in Rootbuilder.  Such trees usually don't go to this extreme but it died from root girdling, came out of a 3 gal. pot from PIN.

I don't like fabric because every time you move it you'll buggar up the roots.

Check out the Pickering just received and planted in Rootbuilder.  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=7511.msg96609#msg96609

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:08:11 AM by Mark in Texas »

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »
Yes, use fafard or promix.  Do not waste your time and money with gritty mix.

Do you think these mixes will be a good option for a tree that will spend its entire life in a pot? I plan on keeping mine in pots until they stop producing or until I die. So, they could be in pots for 50 years. I'm not sure how that soil will look and perform after a few decades.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 05:45:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  Sorry I meant microkoat instead of Spin Out.  The goal of coating the fabric pot with microkoat was to prevent the roots from growing through the bag, and damaging the roots when repotting.

If I repot with fafard or promix evety couple years, is that ok?

Also, the varieties I mentioned were rated as condo mangos from PIN.  Was hoping members could comment on true dwarves conducive for pot growing seeing as the PIN descriptions may not be entirely accurate.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 09:02:26 PM »
I've been doing a bit of research, and could use some input.  The mango's I'm most interested in growing in fabric pots are (listed in order):

1.  Pickering
2.  Honey Kiss
3.  Pina Colada
4.  Florigon
5.  Julie

Which of these would be best for container growing?  It sounds like I could get away with Pickering, but are any of the other choices good?

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 08:31:51 AM »
Graham supposedly stays small enough to keep in a pot. I planted mine when it was nice and bushy only to have the deer come along and almost destroy it so I couldn't tell you from experience how big they actually get. Pickering as you know stays relatively small. I was going to in ground it but I think I will get a bigger rootmaker pot and try to find a cotton candy mango for that spot in the yard.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 09:26:42 AM »
I've been doing a bit of research, and could use some input.  The mango's I'm most interested in growing in fabric pots are (listed in order):

1.  Pickering
2.  Honey Kiss
3.  Pina Colada
4.  Florigon
5.  Julie

Which of these would be best for container growing?  It sounds like I could get away with Pickering, but are any of the other choices good?

Jotted down a comment from Rob that Orange Essence is compact.  Perhaps he will chime in.  Many of the new Zill releases have yet been thru the test of time and that doesn't mean exclusively in Florida either. There are many mango growers in other states especially here in Texas.

Use the search option for "dwarf mango trees".  Starch, a mod living in Arizona, started a dwarf mango tree thread that was VERY extensive.

Regarding potting soil, I do 50/50 organics and I'm not picky.  I have piles of whatever on the farm but usually use a small amount of peat moss (it will break down), pine bark, compost....whatever.  Inorganics for me is a lot of coarse vermiculite and washed builders sand which is granite based.  I never buy bagged stuff unless it's end of the season sales.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:28:14 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
Bookmarked that thread.  Well worth a read.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17443.0

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »

1.  Pickering
2.  Honey Kiss
3.  Pina Colada
4.  Florigon
5.  Julie

I have a Pickering and Florigon in 65gal fabric pots and they are doing quite well.  Tons of BB's on the florigon and pickering has flowers all over it. 
- Marley

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »

1.  Pickering
2.  Honey Kiss
3.  Pina Colada
4.  Florigon
5.  Julie

I have a Pickering and Florigon in 65gal fabric pots and they are doing quite well.  Tons of BB's on the florigon and pickering has flowers all over it.

Nice!

Last year's grafted Sweet Tart (not a dwarf) is flowering so heavy had to stake it yesterday.  Think I'll let this little tree hold a few fruits as there is plenty of root mass and canopy to support some, at least one or two.

Remember those old sticks of Pineapple Pleasure and Fruit Punch I had about 6 weeks ago?  Had enough good wood to bark graft to Mallika branches.  Bark is finally slipping nice and clean.  I've stored scions for months in the fridge and still had takes.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 08:45:17 PM »
Way to go on the takes.  That's a long time in the fridge too!
- Marley

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Yes I've been through Starch's very well though-out and amazing thread  :).  I learned quite a bit there (it's actually how I came up with my list), but it was slightly unclear which varieties were true dwarfs conducive for container growing or those that can be topped to be a condo mango. 

Where can I buy Orange Essence - I've never heard of it and haven't seen many threads? 

Ideally, I'm looking for the best variety to grow in a container.  Do my top 5 choices look good - they're all from Starch's thread or should I replace with something else?  It'd be nice to spread the season out, but I'd rather buy plants that I know can be sized up in Fabric Pots, and have them be healthy and fruit well.

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Yes I've been through Starch's very well though-out and amazing thread  :).  I learned quite a bit there (it's actually how I came up with my list), but it was slightly unclear which varieties were true dwarfs conducive for container growing or those that can be topped to be a condo mango. 

Where can I buy Orange Essence - I've never heard of it and haven't seen many threads? 

Ideally, I'm looking for the best variety to grow in a container.  Do my top 5 choices look good - they're all from Starch's thread or should I replace with something else?  It'd be nice to spread the season out, but I'd rather buy plants that I know can be sized up in Fabric Pots, and have them be healthy and fruit well.

http://plantogram.com/product/mango_orange_essence/
It's pretty pricey but I have never seen another site with so many varieties. I am in the same situation as you. I plan to grow exclusively in pots. I am holding off on accumulating more trees bc I am about to move. Although, I'm not too concerned with having a dwarf tree. I don't mind a 12' tree in a pot under a sky light.

Excalibur also has Orange Essence, but they do not ship. I'm sure you could find someone here to shop you one.

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 10:29:07 AM »
I currently have my mango tree in a 15 gallon pot, what is the next size to move up to?

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 08:31:02 PM »
Is Orange Essence really a dwarf variety?  I haven't seen anything conclusive except from the plantogram link from above.

Charlie - I'm not sure, I'm new to container growing too.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 08:51:56 PM »

Pickering pushing buds in 60gal fabric pot.
- Marley

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 08:58:06 PM »
That pot looks smaller them my 25 gal. plastic pot.
Quentin

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »
'Orange Essence' is medium vigor, and not at all compact, unless it is specially pruned.

'Pina Colada' is probably less than medium vigor, but has a very open, non-compact growth habit.

'Florigon' can get very large, but kept small by annual pruning, it still fruits very well.
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 09:17:28 PM »

Pickering pushing buds in 60gal fabric pot.

You sure thats a 60 gal?
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
Thanks Guanabanus.  I was considering Orange Essence over a Julie, but I think I'll stick with the Julie.  Do you have any insight into Honey Kiss?  My top choices right now based on the variety I think will do best in a fabric pot:

1)  Pickering
2)  Honey Kiss
3)  Pina Colada
4)  Julie

FruitFreak - Your pickering looks very healthy!  It's interesting - I read fabric pots should be elevated, but yours isn't, yet your tree looks great.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 09:31:12 PM »
Thanks Guanabanus.  I was considering Orange Essence over a Julie, but I think I'll stick with the Julie.  Do you have any insight into Honey Kiss?  My top choices right now based on the variety I think will do best in a fabric pot:

1)  Pickering
2)  Honey Kiss
3)  Pina Colada
4)  Julie

FruitFreak - Your pickering looks very healthy!  It's interesting - I read fabric pots should be elevated, but yours isn't, yet your tree looks great.

You dont want to mess with Julie in Florida.   Some have success but for the most part, its disease resistance is poor.  Its also not what I would rank in the elite class, IMO.

Orange Essence is ok but not in the tops as far as newer releases.

You could probably keep Fairchild in check with a normal pruning regimen and the quality is very good.
- Rob