Author Topic: Help! I’m in Southern India and need fruit Advice  (Read 1158 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Help! I’m in Southern India and need fruit Advice
« on: March 01, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
I’m in Mysore on business and want to locate a rare fruit market. Any ideas! What do you think I can find here this time of year? I’d like to try to find something exotic,  not mango or jackfruit. Sanrio, durian, mangosteen, etc.  On the slim chance that someone has been here, any recommendations? Also going down to Ooty for a day. Thanks! -Jon

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: Help! I’m in Southern India and need fruit Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 02:28:51 PM »
I’m in Mysore on business and want to locate a rare fruit market. Any ideas! What do you think I can find here this time of year? I’d like to try to find something exotic,  not mango or jackfruit. Sanrio, durian, mangosteen, etc.  On the slim chance that someone has been here, any recommendations? Also going down to Ooty for a day. Thanks! -Jon

Mysore is not really the best place for Exotic fruits. If you go further south, In Tamil nadu(ooty is in Tamil Nadu), you should be able to find Jack fruit, Teddy palm fruits coconut, sugar cane juice , etc. If you want to hit the jackpot , you have only one option... Kerala. Just a few hundred miles from Ooty.
Moh'd

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 01:48:51 AM »
what is sanrio? durian in India? definitely rare

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 04:21:36 AM »
There is nothing in that part of India. I just came back from coastal Karnataka few days ago. I know exactly what you are seeing now. Only parts of Kerala has right climate for durian and other exotics. Where I was it hasn't rained since August.  Just not the right climate. The only really exotic thing at the moment is mango which started, tasted some varieties I never heard of. Wasn't very good. Indian heavyweights should come later
You can take 1 hour flight from Bangalore or Chennaito to Sri Lanka. Every market and lots of roadside stalls have durian and mangosteen right now. Totally different scene from India.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »
Yes, Sri Lanka would be a good bet. I have a new client there but won’t be able to make it this trip. Agreed, just seeing standard fruits now. I’ll see if I run into anything special in Ooty but I’m not confident. And sorry for the spell check error. I meant ‘Santol’