Author Topic: Dwarf coconuts  (Read 2345 times)

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Dwarf coconuts
« on: April 03, 2020, 01:14:02 PM »
Hello, I want to buy 2  “dwarf” coconut trees that are producing fruit . I found a guy who sells the Dwarf Figi. These are some pictures he sent me of some of the ones he has.  Does anyone know from looking at the pictures what varieties they are? Also I see some of the fronds with yellowing and black spots . Please help me , I want to buy good healthy dwarf coconuts! Thanks!

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf coconuts
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 01:49:41 PM »

I'm not an expert on how many different sorts of dwarf coconuts there are.  I have some younger ones of the Malayan variety.  I keep mine healthy with regular doses of Epsom salts.  The black spots in your photos could be fungal, but they could also be from too much water.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 02:01:27 PM »
Don’t know that variety, but I have some dwarfs and a couple of them anthracnose. We just cut off the fronds and the new fronds were healthy. It was during the wet and cold spell we had a couple of months ago.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:14:37 PM »
They look like they could use fertilizer when you plant them otherwise they are fruiting at a good size and height. I wouldn't get the double one.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 08:26:05 PM »
I agree with pineislander, they look like they just need some fertilizer.

Some people sell Fiji Dwarfs in Florida that aren't actually Fiji Dwarfs. Or they are hybrids.

The only Fiji Dwarf seller I trusted was Dave Romney down in Homestead. I am not sure if they are still in business though.

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 09:27:55 PM »
Hey guys thanks for your input - after talking to the gentlemen in homestead I decided to wait and do some more research . He told me the nuts he plants are from a true dwarf figi - he wouldn’t tell me where he gets them from and I understand - I guess. He also said that he doesn’t sell them for the coconuts - he  sells them entirely for landscaping which I thought was odd - when I asked them if they where sweet he said that he’s never tasted them before- I felt he was getting annoyed by me for asking so many questions  - anyhow I found a place in Davie that has these Dwarf Malaysians - they are a little more pricey the others .

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 11:07:47 PM »
I have a true Fiji dwarf that came from Hawaii and a Fiji hybrid that came from Puerto Rico (have both since they were just a nut)
The Fiji hybrid is almost 4-years-old, but it has been fruiting since last year. It's quite a specimen with 4 feet of visible trunk, super long fronds and a very thick trunk base. The true Fiji is almost 3-years-old and just started trunking.

Here is the base of the trunk for the hybrid:

My daughter hugging it:

The one in the front is the true Fiji Dwarf and the one in the back is the hybrid:

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 08:00:23 AM »
Your hybrid looks like the Maypan f1 hybrid, crossed between Panama tall and Malaysian dwarf.
http://www.palmco.com/maypan-coconut-palm.html

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 10:28:54 AM »
Hey guys thanks for your input - after talking to the gentlemen in homestead I decided to wait and do some more research . He told me the nuts he plants are from a true dwarf figi - he wouldn’t tell me where he gets them from and I understand - I guess. He also said that he doesn’t sell them for the coconuts - he  sells them entirely for landscaping which I thought was odd - when I asked them if they where sweet he said that he’s never tasted them before- I felt he was getting annoyed by me for asking so many questions  - anyhow I found a place in Davie that has these Dwarf Malaysians - they are a little more pricey the others .

That's odd that he has never tried them before. Are you primarily planting these for the water? If so, I would suggest asking to try a coconut from the fruiting tree before you buy.

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 12:21:11 PM »
Hello! Only reason for planting will be for water

datmanyaboi

• florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 09:39:44 PM »
hey, few quick questions for people who have these.

how soon do dwarf coconut trees give fruit?
whats a good price to pay for one?
do the seeds also grow to be dwarfs if planted from seed?
whats the max height these things get and how long does it take for them to reach that height?

I dont expect anyone to know all the answers but any answers would be very much appreciated.

sampatel

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »
My observations from trying to grow coconut trees (Malayan dwarf) in my backyard.

(1) there is not a lot of info on internet. However Internet search says you get fruit from a seed tree in 4-5 years but it does not seem correct. I have in ground 4 year old tree and it does not even have a trunk yet. I think it would take another 5-6 years before I will get coconut on that tree - so in total 8 to 10 years when growing from seed.
(2) I also got few other coconut trees which were about 4 year old and had 1 foot of trunk. They are in ground for almost a year and still not flowering. Again guess is another 2-3 years before fruiting. So again hitting 8 years window.
(3) They eventually grow to 20 to 25 foot tall but would be over 25 plus years.
(4) I paid 20 for very small tree (4-6 month old) and 100 for trees with 1 foot of trunk.

Hope it helps

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 05:35:46 PM »
Also Parajubaea cocoides looks like a small coconut palm but i smaller and colder temperatures are no problem.
Here some pics: https://palmapalmetto.com/parajubaea-cocoides/100-130-cm
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

datmanyaboi

• florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 06:34:53 PM »
My observations from trying to grow coconut trees (Malayan dwarf) in my backyard.

(1) there is not a lot of info on internet. However Internet search says you get fruit from a seed tree in 4-5 years but it does not seem correct. I have in ground 4 year old tree and it does not even have a trunk yet. I think it would take another 5-6 years before I will get coconut on that tree - so in total 8 to 10 years when growing from seed.
(2) I also got few other coconut trees which were about 4 year old and had 1 foot of trunk. They are in ground for almost a year and still not flowering. Again guess is another 2-3 years before fruiting. So again hitting 8 years window.
(3) They eventually grow to 20 to 25 foot tall but would be over 25 plus years.
(4) I paid 20 for very small tree (4-6 month old) and 100 for trees with 1 foot of trunk.

Hope it helps

Thank you