Author Topic: Xie Shan- fruit photos  (Read 13630 times)

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Xie Shan- fruit photos
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2021, 04:09:53 PM »
I purchased my Xie Shan from Briteleaf. Their photos of the fruit show a neck. I don't have any fruit yet, the one that I did have fell off but it was tiny. Riverside collection also shows a neck at the top and somewhat bumpy fruit

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 07:57:55 PM by vnomonee »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2021, 04:28:45 PM »
vnomonee, I did purchase from UCR, the item VI 621 Xie Shan Satsuma Mandarin. But I did notice recently it shows this item is no longer available. I wonder if they are now selling another variation of this cultivar.

If you look at this link which is there variety database it was last edited on 2006, the photo in the middle shows fruits with rough skin, neck, but photo on the right of their datasheet shows fruits that look closer to my fruits where there is no neck and skin looks smoother. Therefore, I'm thinking they do have two types which are sold under same VI 621.

https://ccpp.ucr.edu/variety/621.html

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2021, 04:37:55 PM »
Oh yes I see that, interesting! Regardless I hope whichever Xie Shan fruit I end up with is early ripening since my season is short

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2021, 05:02:44 PM »
For CA, it looks to be ripening from Sept-Dec. My grafts with larger fruits looks to be ready to start turning color in another month. One of their data sheet shows season of ripening as "Sept-Nov" in Riverside CA, the other info shows "Oct-Dec".

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2021, 06:31:50 PM »
I just googled and came across this thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5453195/first-ripe-xie-shan-satsuma

Pictures in this thread look similar to Kaz's pictures.  So there must be two types.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2021, 08:39:43 PM »
Xie Shan fruit from my tree have a smooth peal and no neck.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2021, 08:51:50 PM »
Oh good, then I hope my fruits tastes great since it has the same features.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 01:50:31 AM by sc4001992 »

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2021, 12:49:52 AM »
Apparently Xie Shan fruits can have different shapes in different seasons.

One user (Dave in NoVA) reported that during a year when there were only a few fruit, they were larger and had bumpy, puffy-skin with fairly prominent top knot. During another season when there were many more fruit, they were smaller, had tighter skin and no top knot.

Unfortunately, houzz does not provide a link for individual post but thread is located here:
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4863491/is-this-xie-shan-fruit-ready-to-pick

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2021, 01:36:59 AM »
Mallhar,  All citrus fruit on a tree are smaller when the tree is heavy in fruit.  A citrus fruit absorbs its entire energy to grow, enlarge and mature only from the 3 or 4 closest leaves to the fruit, not from the entire tree.  When there is more than a single fruit per those leaves then they all will absorb energy from those same 3 or 4 leaves. Therefore they are always smaller, and are always less vigorous in growth.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2021, 01:00:51 AM »
Here's my other grafted branch of the Xie Shan which has some smaller fruits, but the fruits do not have the same shape and skin texture as my larger grafted branch fruits. This graft is on a smaller tree in a pot, the other fruits in earlier post is a grafted branch on larger tree in ground.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2021, 12:42:32 PM »
Anyone have updates on the taste of Xie Shan fruits on their tree?

There should be some people now with the fruits starting to ripen. My Xie Shan (smooth skin) fruit has stopped getting larger so it is slowly getting a little yellow color. I couldn't wait so I picked a few fruits and did a taste comparison to another satsuma (my unknown-lost tag) fruit that was about the same color (green with a little yellow). Millet was right about the taste. The Xie Shan is so much sweeter than my other satsuma which had no taste. So I'm very happy that this fruit will be excellent tasting when it's fully ripe.

I'll post a photo of the two different fruits I tasted. I'm thinking of grafting a lot more of the Xie Shan budwood now so next year I can have a bunch of fruits to eat. Sumo is bigger and there is more to eat but Xie Shan may be better tasting. It seems to taste better already than my 2yr old Tango fruits I tasted last season that was fully ripe.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2021, 02:32:31 PM »
Mine are moderately sweet but I think they need more time.  They are still mostly green, with some tinges of yellow.

Again, my tree is small and not in great health so it isn't a good representation

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2021, 03:36:55 PM »
Just tasted the second Xie Shan fruit I picked. It does not have hardly any acidic/tart flavor, but it is sweet without being bland. My unkown satsuma was just like other satsuma in taste with a little tartness but not as sweet. This Xie Shan is not fully ripe but it tastes better than many ripe satsuma.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2021, 03:42:08 PM »
Here's a few photos of my unknown satsuma above in the taste test. I thought 22 fruits in a cluster last year was a lot, but I was wrong. This year there are 32 fruits in this cluster shown in the photo, other branches also have fruits in 4-6 cluster but this one is my record. Actually has 30 fruits in this photo since I picked 2 of them for tasting.

[

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2021, 10:52:23 AM »
Most fruits in one cluster then I ever heard of.

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »
Good God, that's a lot of fruit in one glob.

Here's mine about a month later than the earlier photo.  About 50% larger, with about 2-3 weeks left until average night time temperatures drop into the 40's and the growing season ends.  Satsumas here in Vancouver Wa. don't even think about getting ripe until late October, with best sweetness about a month later,  and even then are generally a bit on the sour side, thanks to the low number of growing degree days here.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2021, 03:08:53 PM »
Jim, your fruit looks nice and large. My smaller grafted branch with fruits that looked similar to yours will not have any full size fruits since the branch was too small so I had to cut off all the fruits to let the grafted branch grow more.

Millet, yes, I think it's the same variety that I have grafted on my other tree in the back that had the 22 fruit cluster last year. I must have gotten it from UCR at the same time but lost the old tag(2013) so I don't know the variety. It seems to be the only mandarin variety that I have grafted that fruits like this. It's been doing this for the last 3-4yrs and it fruits every year. To bad it doesn't taste as sweet as the Xie Shan, but I do have a tag on it saying keep/good.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2021, 05:02:45 PM »
sc4001992,

Are your Xie Shan fully ripe? Did you have change to reevaluate it? 

I grafted some on late Aug and looks they are taken this time.

Just tasted the second Xie Shan fruit I picked. It does not have hardly any acidic/tart flavor, but it is sweet without being bland. My unkown satsuma was just like other satsuma in taste with a little tartness but not as sweet. This Xie Shan is not fully ripe but it tastes better than many ripe satsuma.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2021, 01:11:30 AM »
I have been picking a few each week to check on the taste, so far no change, still taste good, no tartness/acid taste at all.

I will probably be eating the last Xie Shan fruits in another week, they should be fully colored by then. I have been eating the fruits now since my fruits (32 fruit cluster) were eaten by fruit mice/rats and japanese beetles (green ones) and they left me only 8 fruits that were not touched. I even covered it with the fruit net but holes were to large.

Good news is, I found 3 Xie Shan fruits today on one of my other trees (Golden Nugget) that I grafted a few budwoods. It has the fruit with the coarser/rougher looking texture so I can taste the smooth skin and rough skin Xie Shan and compare if they taste the same.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 03:27:27 AM by sc4001992 »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2021, 01:52:57 AM »
Hi Kaz,

How long for your grafted to bear fruits?

Thanks,
Al

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2021, 02:56:03 AM »
Al, I grafted all of the Xie Shan that is fruiting now on 6/2019-8/2019. So about 2 years before it had fruits to eat. My Shiranui/sumo took about the same time, 2 yrs before I got my first fruits that ripened.

I grafted up more Xie Shan this month so I can have a lot of fruits that ripens in October/November. Then all my other citrus start to ripen in Dec-April.

After tasting many more of my unknown Satsuma #1, I'm starting to like it a lot, it is very sweet but has some tartness to it. I plan to cut some of my branches from this one and graft it up on my trees as well. I think it might be similar to my unknown Satsuma #2(32 fruits in one cluster) but the Satsuma #2 doesn't have hardly any tartness. Xie Shen has no tartness and is very sweet. Last year my unknown Satsuma#1 had 24 fruits in one cluster so it seems to grow like Satsuma #2 (both get large fruit clusters). Both of these Satsuma grafts are on two different trees, one is grafted on lemon and the other on pomelo.

Here's the old photo of the unknown Satsuma #1 that I like the best so far. This is a photo from 2019 with the 24 fruits on one grafted branch. These unknown satsuma lost its tag and I only have a tag that shows it was grafted on 2016 and I only put down Satsuma. It might be a Dobasi-Beni, VI-366.

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/dobashi.html

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2021, 03:22:37 AM »
If anyone else has the Xie Shan fruits that are ripe and have taste it now, please comment of the taste and how you would rate it, best being 10.

-> Jim, Brian, Ckitto, Malhar any feedback on your fruits ?

I will try to evaluate my two different fruits (smooth/rough skin) of the Xie Shan next week since I want them both to be ripe (yellow for a few weeks) before I do my last taste test again.

Off topic subject on same variety with different looking fruits. If anyone grows Shiranui, I noticed there are two different looking fruits on them. The one from UCR/CCPP budwood source in Riverside has the larger fruits with rough bumpy skin and neck. There is another version of Shiranui in Florida where the fruits are smaller, skin is not as rough and thinner. I have not be able to do a side by side taste comparison of the fruit but if I remember the tastes, I think the one from Florida has the sweeter taste, and the one from UCR has a sweet/tart taste and the individual fruit sacks are larger.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 03:35:43 AM by sc4001992 »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2021, 09:39:04 AM »
Thanks Kaz. 

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2021, 10:21:27 AM »
Hi Kaz,
The only fruit I have is still very green and no where close to being ripe.

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2021, 11:06:19 AM »
Hi Kaz,
  Like Malhar, mine are still green, though there are hints of color change, possibly triggered by the cool nights we're now getting here (Overnight lows in the 40F's, with an occasional thirty something).  I suspect it will be sour for some time, based on results from earlier years.
  The only sweet citrus  showing true orange are some of the LA Early, and they will still be sourish for a month or so more.  The Changsha is also showing some color, though not as much, but they are sweeter, likely due to their low acid level.
     I'll post pic's when the Xie Shan is fully orange-perhaps 3 weeks or so?-, along with my subjective impressions of the taste.

Jim