Author Topic: mango tree setting fruit in NY! is coloration okay?  (Read 1515 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
mango tree setting fruit in NY! is coloration okay?
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:33:47 AM »
Hello all! My Pickering has set some fruit! However, the fruit looks like it had red specks? Is that OK?

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: mango tree setting fruit in NY! is coloration okay?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »
juvenile Pickering fruit can be almost completely red, then turns green and has predominate red speckles around the shoulder of the fruit when it is near ripe or ripe.
- Colin

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »
Thanks! I thought it was done sort of fungus b or something. What do you think are the chances of it holding a fruit to maturity?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
Not sure that is actual coloration or not.  I am leaning toward some type of blemish/fungus/damage but really too hard to tell at this point.

There is always a chance it could hold but there are many variables that could cause the fruit to drop/abort.  If it is going to hold to maturity, you will have to bring it inside at some point as the time to maturity, in your climate, could take 5+/- months.  Once brought in, it will need to stay warm and under good lighting.  A cool/cold garage or a "living room" will most likely not be sufficient.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk