Author Topic: Pineapple thread  (Read 24054 times)

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple thread
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2020, 02:32:53 PM »
Has anyone tried growing pineapples from seed?  When I cut into a pineapple last week from the store, it was full of seeds - never noticed this before.  I rinsed them and put them in a seedling tray (peat/coir/pumice) with heat mat and humidity cover.  Curious if they'll actually sprout.  Just for laughs :)

cen

• US, CA/SF peninsula, Menlo Park, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »
I have some growing now. It didn't take as long as described in internet articles and YouTube. I had them on a damp paper towel in a plastic bag on a heat mat. So far about half have sprouted, but I haven't given up on the others yet. I think I started less than a month ago and the first ones took a couple of weeks, but I didn't keep any notes.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2020, 03:04:54 PM »
Im pretty excited for these 2 new types

This one is a cheesepine from Simon and Jim.  I have no idea why its called cheese pine.

This one I got from a guy in Malaysia, its called nanas paun.  Its supposed to get really large.

About Cheese Pine you wont find much info about it online. The only info is from the USDA

A specimen known as Cheese Pine—collected in Guatemala in 1935—may be sweeter and richer in vitamin C than any other pineapple in the collection. And Pseudananas sagenarius, brought from the Rio Negro region of Argentina in 1938, always gets a second glance. Not a true pineapple, but a member of the same plant family nonetheless, P. sagenarius boasts a botanical quirk: The sharp, thornlike spines along its leaves arch away from the leaf tip instead of towards it. It’s an oddity that some experts are quick to notice.

Jim I looked and it seems like the cheese pine has throws pointing towards the leaf tips.  Does your point the other way?
Brad Spaugh

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »
Im pretty excited for these 2 new types

This one is a cheesepine from Simon and Jim.  I have no idea why its called cheese pine.

This one I got from a guy in Malaysia, its called nanas paun.  Its supposed to get really large.

About Cheese Pine you wont find much info about it online. The only info is from the USDA

A specimen known as Cheese Pine—collected in Guatemala in 1935—may be sweeter and richer in vitamin C than any other pineapple in the collection. And Pseudananas sagenarius, brought from the Rio Negro region of Argentina in 1938, always gets a second glance. Not a true pineapple, but a member of the same plant family nonetheless, P. sagenarius boasts a botanical quirk: The sharp, thornlike spines along its leaves arch away from the leaf tip instead of towards it. It’s an oddity that some experts are quick to notice.

Jim I looked and it seems like the cheese pine has throws pointing towards the leaf tips.  Does your point the other way?

I'm not sure now cause i don't grow them anymore.... but its the sample the USDA sent to my friend along time ago and i got them from him
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2020, 03:18:47 PM »
i found an older photo of one of my Cheese Pine plants

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:17:38 PM by Evildeadguy »

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2020, 01:53:24 PM »
https://www.pinkglowpineapple.com/ a whopping 49$! Shipped without crown.
- Val

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
Yay genetically engineered fruit!

I'd still grow it...

Whats left of the crown in their pic would probably still grow.  Ive had several drilled crowns grow new shoots from the side even though the central growth is gone. 
Brad Spaugh

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2020, 03:24:06 PM »
I'll wait till stores get them and than buy some I'm not paying that price for one pineapple and with no crown there is very little crown left I wouldn't take a chance for that price lol

I would guess they are using the crown for growing material only because the plant doesn't grow slips or suckers
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:29:31 PM by Evildeadguy »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2020, 03:30:22 PM »
I'll wait till stores get them and than buy some I'm not paying that price for one pineapple and with no crown there is very little crown left I wouldn't take a chance for that price lol

I would guess they are using the crown for growing material only because the plant doesn't grow slips or suckers

They probably just cut the tops off and throw them in the trash so you can't copy them. 
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2020, 03:52:28 PM »
They probably just cut the tops off and throw them in the trash so you can't copy them.
Likely, and also don't forget that's just a picture on the website, they might actually pull the top out completely.

cen

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »
According to the website FAQ

Pinkglow™ Pineapples are grown by planting existing pineapple crowns in the ground, allowing new pineapples to grow.

Why does the pineapple not have a crown?

Pinkglow™ Pineapples are harvested by hand. In order to regenerate new pineapple crops, the crown needs to be planted.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2020, 05:07:51 PM »
Picked this generic "smooth cayanne" fruit yesterday and sampled it with my family and mom.  Everyone enjoyed it, its nice a sweet and juicy.

Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2020, 05:12:06 PM »
When new good types have been released the tops are cut off for the first few years not ripped out which would cause damage. Many people recovered the collars and some sprout. The farms and most re-planters don't use tops as slips and suckers establish faster and fruit quicker too.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2020, 04:40:14 PM »
I have some growing now. It didn't take as long as described in internet articles and YouTube. I had them on a damp paper towel in a plastic bag on a heat mat. So far about half have sprouted, but I haven't given up on the others yet. I think I started less than a month ago and the first ones took a couple of weeks, but I didn't keep any notes.
I have been spreading the seeds over moist coco coir / perlite in a shallow pot and kept it covered with plastic wrap for humidity.  One sprouted, let's hope it survives 8)

cen

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »
I have been spreading the seeds over moist coco coir / perlite in a shallow pot and kept it covered with plastic wrap for humidity.  One sprouted, let's hope it survives 8)

Again, no notes, but my seed sprouting took place over about two or three weeks. After they sprouted on paper towels, I put them on the smallest size soil block and sprinkled some vermiculite.. So far, only 2 out of about 25 haven't started to grow leaves. When some grew to about 1/4" across, I put three of them in larger soil blocks and set them outside under shade cloth with some sun. The plants in soil blocks under a fluorescent lamp and on a heat mat (80°) are growing faster than those outside. (Oh, and birds keep dislodging one of the plants from the soil block. I have that problem with larger tissue culture plants also.)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2020, 08:45:21 AM »
https://www.pinkglowpineapple.com/ a whopping 49$! Shipped without crown.
Does anyone know if the seeds of pinkglow might come true?

cen

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »
I ordered a Pinkglow pineapple from the West Coast distributor. It was on backorder when I ordered, but came the next week, so presumably it was fresh. I think I have posted pictures on this forum before, but right now PostImage is not finding my photos.

The Pinkglow is a small pineapple. Not including the crown, it measured about 11.5cm or 5" (based on my picture). The remaining crown is about 1/4". After skinning the pineapple and removing all the eyes, I found only six seeds. I have started to ferment them, and based on my gardening experience, I will be lucky to get one plant. As for the crown, I am not quite sure how to proceed, given the small size. Also, compared to fresh Hawaiian pineapples, or even pineapples from the grocery store, none of the remaining foliage was green.

Cutting the pineapple (i.e., getting the juice on my hands) was the first indication of the low acid content.  The core was thin and not particularly edible. It was more fibrous than a carrot with not much taste. The pineapple flesh was not fibrous. The taste was very mild. It reminded me of a watermelon, with a slight pineapple taste and a bit of acid. I did not notice any "candy" flavor. However, I am a person who does not like spicy food and does not notice the difference between fresh food and leftovers, so maybe I can provide more input after I bring the cut pineapple to my sister. For me, it was pleasant enough, but after a couple of pieces, if I were to order a fresh pineapple, I would prefer the Hawaiian sugarloaf, which, to my taste, has a stronger flavor and seems sweeter.

Edit: After studying the website and the materials accompanying the pineapple, I did not see anything stating that this plant cannot be grown. I was expecting to see something, since there are other plants that state that reproduction is illegal.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 04:56:24 PM by cen »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2020, 04:48:26 PM »
One of the guys on this forum brought some of the pink pineapple over for me to try.  I wasn't impressed at all.  Tasted like a store bought pineapple to me.  Nothing bad about it just nothing g special either. 
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2020, 10:08:59 AM »
Cen and spaugh, well, that's disappointing, but not unexpected.  I guess commercial pineapples are trickier to get the correctly ripe ones.

On another note, sadly my pineapple seedling didn't make it.  Randomly turned grey and appears gone :(  I'll keep trying though!

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2020, 11:14:21 AM »
We've planted quite a few store bought and Hawaiian golds. I was surprised at how easy they grew. The only downside here was that since they are a bromeliad, water collects on the crown and I noticed mosquito larvae in a few of the crowns that held a tiny bit of water. I had to be sure that I was only watering the soil.

I'm not sure if this was a coincidence or not, but I had two of mine flower at the same time even though one was over three years old and the other was just one. We were expecting a long heatwave so I placed them from a location in full sun to a shaded area. Within a couple days, they started to flower. Not sure if the immediate light change force flowered them or not. My kids loved them. Going to start some more in the spring.

cen

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »
On another note, sadly my pineapple seedling didn't make it.  Randomly turned grey and appears gone :(  I'll keep trying though!

That happened to one of mine.  It was the one that was dislodged by a bird or maybe a moth. I put it back in the soil block. I brought my outside seedlings back inside under a lamp and on a heat lamp. The others are still green, but only that one turned grey and then disappeared. Also, some of the newer, smaller seedlings in another, adjoining tray seem to be fading to a lighter green.

P.S. I accidentally found where the photo images live on my computer

The plant at the bottom left is a replacement for the one that died. I don't think there is much of a root system. These are usually under a dome.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 04:26:45 PM by cen »

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2020, 11:56:15 PM »
I also ordered a pinky and was far from impressed.  It did have a very slightly different flavor, but I got a really unripe one.  The bottom half might have been slightly less tart than store golds, but the unripe half had way more bromelain than I've ever experienced.  I might occasionally feel an itch if I don't pick well at the store, but this one was a real burn, and it lasted till the next day.  Real pain from one of my favorite fruits - WTF!

btw, if you're adventurous, if you let the product sit in your cart at the east coast store, you might get a $10 paypal offer after a couple days to entice you into doing something you shouldn't

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2020, 02:11:15 AM »

The better and newer types sure have those tops cut most of the time as I noticed again today.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2020, 09:37:56 PM »
Hey Mike did the pineapples have names?  I tried but couldn't read the signs. 
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2020, 12:38:47 AM »
Could someone kindly explain why pineapple seeds extracted from a grocery-store plant would not be true to parent?  I barely remember punnett squares from biology class ~30 years ago.  Because the source pineapple would come from a massive field of clones, the most likely pollination occurs between the same parents.  Wouldn't that make it an "heirloom" or, does it need a couple more generations for that?