Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 286094 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #875 on: June 27, 2021, 05:38:08 PM »
Venus has been really good.

Simon

Are u eating Venus in SoCal already? I thought it was a late one, which for your climate must be around sep-oct?

No mangos for me yet here in San Diego. I’ve eaten Venus multiple times over the years and they have been excellent! Sweet Tart, Venus and and Kathy have all been great.

Simon

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 27, 2021, 07:18:28 PM »
Thanks Simon, I have ST and Venus but didn't have the chance to taste them yet.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 27, 2021, 08:32:52 PM »
I've been looking at them for a while for things like peaches which have huge crops and short shelf lives.

Do you know what brand of dehydrator they are using?

They have a link on it heir website, brand is called harvest right freeze dryers.

-joe

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #878 on: June 27, 2021, 09:38:53 PM »

Cat hoi loc on left
CAC on right.

Cat hoi loc taste similar to CAC. Has more of a Thai flavor but the Indochinese is there as well.
Has a texture that reminds me of Zinc. Dense and and slightly gelatinous.

I think it was getting a little over ripe towards the seed but no off flavor.
I'll try it a little greener nice time. At this point it's straight sweet

Right now I'd give it a 6/10.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 05, 2021, 10:30:59 PM »
This post is on Super Julie eaten at two stages:

Fully Ripe:

I was walking through my yard and found a fully ripe Super Julie (SJ) hidden in the canopy. This is a pretty mango that colors up nicely. There was a faint sweet resin smell to the outside. When I cut open the mango it reveled a yellow orange fiberless flesh with some juice. The texture was delicate and turned to juice easily as I scooped out the flesh and ate it. In each bite there was the characteristic resin taste that permeates the sweet flesh.

Ripening Green:

If you’ve had sweet tart or a lemon zest and realized a sort of “chalky” texture you will understand exactly what I’m talking about here, if not bare with me as I try to explain that this phenomena happens with SJ too when eaten at the ripening green stage. Pictured is SJ that has started to change color but still has some faded green splotches to it. The mango had some give to it and was giving off a sweet resinous smell. When I cut the mango open I noticed the flesh was a lighter yellow than the fully ripened one above, it was fiberless, and also less juicy. The texture was more dense and melting producing that same chalky texture I have noticed in ST and LZ. The flavor was sweet and resinous but with an added hint of tart in the background (not present in fully ripe). I prefer to enjoy SJ at this stage, but overall it’s a joy to eat them at both stages.

A hint of what’s to come, review of my seedling ivory pictured next to SJ for reference

-Joe

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 05, 2021, 10:35:04 PM »
Joe, how would you say Super Julie compares to regular Julie?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:53:36 PM by johnb51 »
John

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 05, 2021, 10:44:26 PM »
That’s a tough question for me to answer because it’s been a good while since I’ve had one. Hope some others will chime in here and comment. 🤷‍♂️👍

-Joe

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 11, 2021, 04:06:40 PM »
I ate my first Peach Cobbler today.  I was too greedy to take any pictures!  Very richly flavored.  Could be called "tangerine."  Very orange flesh although the skin was mostly green.  It had small black spots, indicating maximum ripeness.  Melting.  Very juicy.  Totally worthy of its reputation!
John

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 12, 2021, 04:54:05 PM »
Joe, how would you say Super Julie compares to regular Julie?

Julie descendants and relatives better than Julie in Florida condition:
Z 40-26
JULIETTE
SUPER JULIE
ICE CREAM
Z 3-18
LITTLE GEM
CARRIE

Note: No offense to West Indian mango lovers. It could be be better in its native soil!

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 27, 2021, 12:34:35 PM »
Just getting around to posting on my seedling Ivory:

This year the tree produced 9 mangos and they were the best the tree has produced yet. Previously the few mangos that would come off the tree suffered from internal breakdown and squirrel attacks so it was really difficult to get an impression and when the tree would only produce 3 mangos some years. I am learning more and more about this tree each year so just sharing what I’ve learned this year. On the internal break down side, I loaded the tree couple years back with 200 lbs of crushed oyster shell a the base, then a heavy prune. The heavy prune caused it to not flower last year and I threw down 100 lbs of gypsum on it and tip pruned it. The tip pruning definitely made a bushier tree. These measures I took over past two years set it up for better success this year. If reading this your probably saying WTf is all that calcium supplementation for isn’t Fl basically all coral and limestone? Two theories I have on this: the tree is a seedling and possibly needs more calcium supplement and is unique in that regard and/or the man made lot my tree is planted on just happens to be in some funky soil in that particular spot, among any other unknown unknowns.  I firmly believe though that the calcium supplementation directly fixed the internal breakdown issue this mango has struggled with previously.

So what do I know based on the fruit obejectively: it’s large and can get near 3lbs, it’s totally fiberless, the flesh to seed ratio is great with a thin monoembryonic seed, it can accrue blush colors though mostly a yellow mango, the fruit are clean and seems disease resistant, the tree is an upright lanky grower, as far as production the fruit can come in clusters like the original ivory, though it is not currently productive. I have a theory on this that the low production is due to me not properly pruning the tree in its juvenile years. To test this I’ve grafted this and planted another in my yard to employ a more intensive tip pruning program at a much smaller tree to see if I can shape the tree better and since it’s grafted from a fruiting branch it might produce better. Sweetness, one fruit was measured and registered at 20.

Subjectively: I brought a fruit over for Alex to try at tropical acres and he said it tastes like maha chanock. I gave a fruit to my buddy Duy (Vietnamese) and he said it tastes like nam doc mai. I brought a fruit to mike at trees n more, (in the above pics that is my seedling ivory next to his grafted ivory)  he remarked it’s delicious, sweet and complex. I brought in a fruit to work and did a sampling between it and super Julie, 11 employees were asked to chose between two plates of cubed mango, and the winner was the seedling ivory. The quirky thing about this work taste test was that every vote for it was of Latin/Cuban origin, while the super Julie votes were more African American/Haitian……I find this incredibly interesting 🤔. In my view it definitely tastes like an Asian mango though the flesh texture is not as gel like in an Asian mango, it’s definitely a hybrid possibly between ivory x Valencia pride maybe?

-Joe

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: August 10, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »

Purchased providence about 3 to 4 years ago and with many small trees fruit was average but in my opinion Keitt was much better.

So now the tree has grown larger and older and now it tastes sweeter and also has a slight taste of kent or fruit punch type taste which I really like. So now I consider it (at least this year) as equal or slightly better than my best Keitt (I have large Keitt and have selected many seedling cultivers smaller but really good late in the season)

Just to remember, mangos often taste better when the tree gets older and larger so don't whack your top off your young tree too quick... lol

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 11, 2021, 11:15:58 PM »
I ate my first Peach Cobbler today.  I was too greedy to take any pictures!  Very richly flavored.  Could be called "tangerine."  Very orange flesh although the skin was mostly green.  It had small black spots, indicating maximum ripeness.  Melting.  Very juicy.  Totally worthy of its reputation!
correct is like eating jelly tangerine in a mango
El verde es vida!

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 22, 2022, 08:51:52 AM »
Good Morning forum friends,

Celebrated 9 years of marriage down in Miami this weekend and my wife and I hit up mangomen yesterday for some emerald, julie, zebda, and this one Carrie mango as well as the fruit and spice park afterward then finished the evening with dinner at KYU (amazing) must try the cauliflower appetizer.

This tasting came with a view!

Had to butcher this with a dull knife and shed some mango blood 😂 you can tell this Carrie was on the riper side and juicy as it was very yellow with an aromatic smell.

Delicious mango and my first Carrie of the season.

-Joe

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 22, 2022, 02:22:03 PM »
Happy Anniversary Joe!!

Waiting on all those to ripen as well. The Julie from yesterday was probably a day overripened. Still, was able to appreciate much of it.

Maybe its because I know there aren't as many mangoes around this year; seems like everything tastes better. Able to appreciate different flavor profiles more, and definitely less picky.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 02:23:43 PM by roblack »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk