Author Topic: Starfruit won't set fruit  (Read 1921 times)

amberroses

• 10a- Tampa Bay area
    • View Profile
Starfruit won't set fruit
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:58:30 AM »
I have a Kari starfruit, at least it was sold as a Kari. It is about 3 years old and has never set fruit.  I wasn't too concerned the first few years because it was small, but now it has a nice size on it and it still won't fruit. It has bloomed frequently and in large quantities. It looks healthy. It is in partial shade. I am frustrated. Does any one have any advice? I heard some starfruit are not self pollinating, but Kari is supposed to be. I don't really have room for another starfruit tree.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Starfruit won't set fruit
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 06:26:09 AM »
Can you post a pic ?  Might still be size/maturity related.  I also have a Kari, I don’t recall at what age it started fruiting, I would guess about 3 years old.  It took a bit of foliage sprays, etc to get it we’ll established.  Now it requires little care, and it is a star fruit machine. 

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 09:02:30 AM »
I also have issues with fruit set on this variety.  I have a 5 year old tree, but it has only fruited well once - last year.  I feed it regularly, so I'm not sure what the issue is.  It blooms every year, but no fruit.   After 5 years, I'm done and the tree is on my short-list for removal.  Amberroses, I note that your tree is in partial shade.  Mine is also, and perhaps that's the issue.     
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 09:04:39 AM by noochka1 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »
Mine has flowered and fruited since bought in a 3 gallon pot and about 4 feet tall or less. Flowers and fruits a few times per year, good producer and nice fruit.

Perdiodic fert.

Gotta pic of your tree and the trunk with something for scaling of size?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 11:58:38 PM »
My Kari did not hold fruit till the 4th year (bought as a stick) in the ground. It has never produced 2 crops, while my Kajang fruited younger and neither reliably gave me two seasons. Taste I feel is nearly equal.

I pulled my Bell as I planted three wanting to keep the best, the Kajang may be on the chopping block next as I don't need two starfruits. I over planted fully expecting to wind up with one tree but did not want to plant them sequentially and waiting many years to sample them.
Regards,

Gary

amberroses

• 10a- Tampa Bay area
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 08:49:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for responding. I don't have a picture, but the tree is about 7 feet tall and bushy. The trunk is thick. I'm weirdly happy to hear that others didn't get fruit for several years too. I've always heard that starfruit trees are extremely productive at an early age.  At least now I have some hope. I really don't have room for another starfruit tree to pollinate it. I'd take it out, but is kind of a pretty tree.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:55:22 PM by amberroses »

amberroses

• 10a- Tampa Bay area
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 08:53:59 PM »
My Kari did not hold fruit till the 4th year (bought as a stick) in the ground. It has never produced 2 crops, while my Kajang fruited younger and neither reliably gave me two seasons. Taste I feel is nearly equal.

I pulled my Bell as I planted three wanting to keep the best, the Kajang may be on the chopping block next as I don't need two starfruits. I over planted fully expecting to wind up with one tree but did not want to plant them sequentially and waiting many years to sample them.

That was probably smart. At least you know you got the best one and won't have pollination issues. Unfortunately, I have a very small yard and a great love for many kinds of fruit trees. I've no room for more starfruit trees.  :'(

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 09:41:48 PM »
No need for another tree to pollinate Kari, does it all on her own.

Agree, it is a beautiful tree. Worth growing as an ornamental.

Should fruit for you soon.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »
my starfruit tree has been so slow I thought it was stunted, even when heavily flowering sets very little fruit, just enough fruit for the fruit flies, nothing left over.  5 traps on one small 8 foot tree and still worms in every fruit.

Makes me wonder how much chemicals are on commercial starfruit.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 06:54:52 PM »
My Kari is about 10 yrs old and I would consider it a dud. thousands of blooms hardly any take.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 08:17:52 AM »
my starfruit tree has been so slow I thought it was stunted, even when heavily flowering sets very little fruit, just enough fruit for the fruit flies, nothing left over.  5 traps on one small 8 foot tree and still worms in every fruit.

Makes me wonder how much chemicals are on commercial starfruit.
I wouldn't know about other countries but the largest starfruit grower in the US is close to my place and they use as much chemicals as commercial citrus which is quite a bit. Here there is no worm problem and starfruit generally bear very well.
The orchard I took pictures in is absolutely loaded and in full production right now.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=29381.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk