Author Topic: Suspected Dragonfruit issue, can’t find info online.  (Read 310 times)

Stephiebby

• 10a
    • View Profile
Suspected Dragonfruit issue, can’t find info online.
« on: September 18, 2023, 01:36:29 PM »
More info: I live in SE Florida. A friend I got other cuttings from mentioned some of his plants getting this after he got some cuttings from California. I kept the new cuttings he gave me in a bucket (not planted) about 5ft or so away from my established df from before. I put cuttings that I could see this issue on already into another bucket that was 5ft away from the other new cuttings and 10ft away from my previous cuttings. We don’t have many shade areas so I couldn’t split them up farther.

I am now seeing this on the cuttings I had before getting the new cuttings but I’m not sure if it had it before and I am just now noticing it because it was pointed out or if they got infected anyways from the new cuttings.

The issue seems to start off as yellow/white dots then over time the dots go away and become pitted.

I’d greatly appreciate some insight as I’m a fairly new df grower.

Thank you!!

For picture clarification, the issue I’m referring to is on the NEW growth, not the main cutting.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 01:39:03 PM by Stephiebby »

hipasfolk

• Central FL, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Suspected Dragonfruit issue, can’t find info online.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 12:23:41 PM »
Kind of looks like Botryosphaeria dothidea, fungal infection. Can be spread by unsterilized pruning instruments or even sap sucking insects. Won't kill it but may stunt the plant if it goes unchecked.

Any time any of my DF appear infected with anything I play it safe and remove any infected pieces (sterilizing shears between each cut) and bag and trash the pieces.