Author Topic: Atemoya varieties that do not require hand pollination  (Read 1767 times)

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Atemoya varieties that do not require hand pollination
« on: June 03, 2021, 12:23:07 PM »
Hi,
I live in Panama City, Central America.  Climate is hot and fairly humid.   For some reason atemoyas are fairly rare here, even though I think that they should grow well here.   Sugar apples grow well here.   Cherimoyas don't grow well in the lowlands (at least I haven't seen them in the lowlands).

I would like to try growing atemoyas here.  Which varieties would you guys recommend that don't require hand pollination?   

Another question I had:  Is it feasible to keep an atemoya tree small by pruning.  Say for example at 7ft?

Thanks!

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya varieties that do not require hand pollination
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 01:34:52 PM »

This cut is 1/2” above old cut.

You can keep atemoya tree to any height by practicing pollarding.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
Paxton prolific is a type pinks mammoth that doesn’t require hand pollination. Ugly but delicious :)

Atemoya are more of a sub tropical fruit but heat tolerance varies. I know Mike has mentioned African Pride doing ok in the tropics while some others didn’t.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 04:26:46 PM by Ulfr »

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 04:37:01 PM »
I have a geffner atemoya that supposedly doesn't require hand pollination. This is its first year blooming so I can't confirm that notion.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 05:47:11 PM »
I have a geffner atemoya that supposedly doesn't require hand pollination. This is its first year blooming so I can't confirm that notion.
Did you try the trick of placing an old, rotting fruit or two close by or under the tree?  It is supposed to attract some pollinators. ... just to help things along..

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 05:57:17 PM »
Did you try the trick of placing an old, rotting fruit or two close by or under the tree?  It is supposed to attract some pollinators. ... just to help things along..

No, I have it it in a container right now next to some of my container fig trees that are fruiting. I don't want too many pest.

A local nursery was having a clearance sale last month and the size/price was too good to pass up the atemoya.

I'm not in a permanent housing situation at the moment but I do intend to put it in ground eventually and scatter rotting fruit/veggies to attract the bugs. I have been trying to hand pollinate my geffner atemoya and asian sugar apple with a paintbrush but I haven't been very diligent with hand pollinating at nights.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 06:29:49 PM by hammer524 »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 07:56:29 PM »
In humid Panama, there should be no pollination issues, as the more humid it is the more selfing occurs.

elriba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 10:19:04 PM »
You can keep atemoya tree to any height by practicing pollarding.

Thanks for the tip and the image.   I need to learn about pollarding.  Do you have any recommendations for learning about this for a newbie.

elriba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 10:21:40 PM »
Paxton prolific is a type pinks mammoth that doesn’t require hand pollination. Ugly but delicious :)

Do you know if this can be obtained in Florida?  I can get plants from Florida into Panama.
Thanks.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 02:14:41 AM »
I think it’s over there known as KJ Pinks.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »
I believe Lisa doesn’t need hand pollination.

Bill

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 02:59:42 PM »
Gefner is the leading variety in south Florida. It was selected in Israel for good production without hand pollination.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 03:59:50 PM »
While Gefner doesnt need much pollination pinks mammoth needs even less and sets almost seedless fruit at times and thus seeds are often hollow. Paxton prolofic (syn KJ pinks) is a bud sport of mammoth and fruits prolifically without pollination. This is also the case for Hillary White and other Mammoth descendants.Mammoth is probably the oldest cultivated variety of Atemoya and since coming to Australia in the 1890s totally dominated although recently its descendants have taken over. In terms of Flavour and seedlessness  the mammoth clan clearly outshine the likes of AP and gefner.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk