Author Topic: Citrus Protection  (Read 865 times)

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Citrus Protection
« on: July 18, 2020, 12:05:41 PM »
After losing my first 7 citrus trees to HLB I am finally having success with my recently purchased trees (dwarf Ponkan, Glenn Navel, and Sugar Belle) since I have been keeping them under a screen and following Millet’s advice (thank you) of using a fast draining medium and Peters fertilizer. We recently had some strong winds and the screen protection was torn. Do you guys think I can get away without the screen protection by using Bayer imidacloprid or am I risking it? If I do need it, how big of an enclosure will I need for the varieties I have?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus Protection
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 02:34:06 PM »
Killing the vector with a systemic does nothing, as the vector would likely have already transmitted HLB in order to succumb to the systemic.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »
Of the three trees you purchased, the least prone from being killed by HLB is the Sugar Bell.  Sugar Bell has shown some resistance to HLB.   Mr. Texas had a tree that he put a metal hoop type frame over it.  The frame and tree was about 11 or 12 feet high.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 06:54:45 AM »
Thank you both. I thought that systemics would work to prevent the attack, not kill the vector after. Good to know. I guess I will be building the enclosure. I hope they don’t get infected in the interim. Thanks again.