Author Topic: Custom Nursery Boxes  (Read 2440 times)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Custom Nursery Boxes
« on: May 10, 2021, 02:21:27 PM »
I am having such a hard time finding proper suppliers for certain things.

One is custom branded nursery boxes.  I see other nurseries shipping their trees in branded boxes without using stickers (pre-printed).

Who and where are they obtaining these from?  Every single one I've reached out to says they can only do small boxes and small quantities.

So hard to find this kind of information.  I feel like it is top secret info searching for certain things related to garden center and nursery needs.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Nursery Boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 02:25:12 PM »
U-Line does custom stuff and is huge.

When I ran my small skateboard truck business in Canada I had a fantastic experience with GLBC.com (Great Little Box Company) and being priced in Canadian dollars is going to save you some money, even if you get some import tax.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 06:39:42 PM »

When I ran my small skateboard truck business in Canada I had a fantastic experience with GLBC.com (Great Little Box Company) and being priced in Canadian dollars is going to save you some money, even if you get some import tax.

Unfortunately, Uline is charging exorbitant prices.  The boxes are almost 50% higher $$ than last month and shipping is 3x what is was.  They are no longer, by any means, a cost effective option.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 06:43:15 PM »

Unfortunately, Uline is charging exorbitant prices.  The boxes are almost 50% higher $$ than last month and shipping is 3x what is was.  They are no longer, by any means, a cost effective option.

We have the same issue at Powell-Peralta where I work. Our box costs have gone through the roof. I have been having a lot of luck manufacturing stuff in Canada... GLBC could be it for you. They have an Everett, WA location now:

https://www.glbc.com/contact/everett-wa/

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 07:24:37 PM »
Guys everything is going through the roof.  Inflation is everywhere.  Anyone bought a steak in the grocery lately?  Holy cow!
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 07:31:00 PM »
Guys everything is going through the roof.  Inflation is everywhere.  Anyone bought a steak in the grocery lately?  Holy cow!

Steak at Costco is somewhat decent in quality and price, but yeah, you're right, things are going up up up. It's wild. I could sell my diesel truck for double what I bought it for tomorrow, cash in hand (I do wish I bought yours sometimes though Brad).

When Dogecoin, a literal meme currency made for the lol, is making people millions of dollars? Yeah, I'd say inflation is here.

We're going to raise our prices steeply at the skate factory soon...

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 07:31:40 PM »

We have the same issue at Powell-Peralta where I work. Our box costs have gone through the roof. I have been having a lot of luck manufacturing stuff in Canada... GLBC could be it for you. They have an Everett, WA location now:

https://www.glbc.com/contact/everett-wa/

I'll have to check them out.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 07:33:17 PM »

Lol!  Love the pun, Brad.

Yeah, it's about to get crazy for sure.  One of the local nurseries next door is refusing to sell certain plants because they said the value of them is about to double, so they're keeping them tucked away in their hoop houses under lock and key.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »

Steak at Costco is somewhat decent in quality and price, but yeah, you're right, things are going up up up. It's wild. I could sell my diesel truck for double what I bought it for tomorrow, cash in hand (I do wish I bought yours sometimes though Brad).

When Dogecoin, a literal meme currency made for the lol, is making people millions of dollars? Yeah, I'd say inflation is here.

I'm about to raise prices on my motorcycle tools. 

My mother inlaw is into the crypto.  When your 70 year old family members are into something its a bubble.  She has pennystock type crypto she calls her "shitcoins".

Yeah we get tri tips at Costco, i stockpile tri tips and bacon.  Its still 9 or 10$ per pound for tritip.  I remember when it was always on sale for 2.99$ 15 years ago.   Now red meat is like a special treat once a month.
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 08:43:13 PM »

Lol!  Love the pun, Brad.

Yeah, it's about to get crazy for sure.  One of the local nurseries next door is refusing to sell certain plants because they said the value of them is about to double, so they're keeping them tucked away in their hoop houses under lock and key.

I just sell plants on Craigslist as a side gig and I am flooded with requests. I raised my prices and still have people blowing up my phone every day. That nursery is probably onto something.

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 10:09:19 PM »
Up here, before y2000, unpeeled tri-tip was $0.99 per pound. Best deal for Santa Maria style BBQ (oak fired) parties!!!

When about 2004 through 2008, gas zoomed past$2/gal to ~$5/gal in California and  real estate sky rocketed,  durable goods going up in price, etc, my mom said it was like the 70's and early 80s again. 

Regarding beef, the Costco 2 pieces of unpeeled tri tip for ~$35 (5.99/lb last week) is just shy of what a cryopack of 6 was 10, 15 years ago... its starting to be like ice cream packaging [1.5 qt vs 2 qt], roughly same bag price, just 1 less piece. crazy!  Even beef bones with hardly any meat has gone from $0.79 to $4 or $5/lb.

Better buy more pork bellies and freeze, the cryopacks were past $40 ;)

[deleted]
I'm about to raise prices on my motorcycle tools. 

My mother inlaw is into the crypto.  When your 70 year old family members are into something its a bubble.  She has pennystock type crypto she calls her "shitcoins".

Yeah we get tri tips at Costco, i stockpile tri tips and bacon.  Its still 9 or 10$ per pound for tritip.  I remember when it was always on sale for 2.99$ 15 years ago.   Now red meat is like a special treat once a month.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 10:30:07 PM »
I asked my wife what she paid last time and she says 7.99$ per pound for whole tri tips. 
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 10:44:35 AM »

Isn't that the truth. I paid 7k for my 2wd 06 f250 and could turn around and sell it for easily 15-20k in my area. Everyone bought RV's/trailers at the beginning of the pandemic at asking price. (They have 30-40% markup) I was already in the process of getting mine luckily from a friend who owns a dealership and got it just above cost. Could easily sell my 25ft trailer for 10-15k markup.
-Kris

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 10:55:01 AM »
I've been trying to find shipping inserts in order to be able to securely hold my plants in their boxes.  If anyone who has a small nursery is interested in trying to go in on an order of inserts let me know!

I just got a package from Annies Annuals that had this awesome 6 spot 4" plant holder. It was really well designed.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 11:04:44 AM »

Isn't that the truth. I paid 7k for my 2wd 06 f250 and could turn around and sell it for easily 15-20k in my area. Everyone bought RV's/trailers at the beginning of the pandemic at asking price. (They have 30-40% markup) I was already in the process of getting mine luckily from a friend who owns a dealership and got it just above cost. Could easily sell my 25ft trailer for 10-15k markup.

I paid 8k for my 06 f350 4wd long bed crew cab just 2 years ago. I see them selling for 15-20k right now. There is a work truck dealership here in Goleta that usually has around 40-50 trucks on the lot and there are only 5 left now! It's like a ghost town at that dealership. The Ford dealership here is adding 20-30k markup onto their trucks (we're talking 110k for a f350!). Who can afford this stuff?

It is super weird how there is so much money sloshing around. I mean, the stimulus should've been burnt up by now and even if you maxed that out and were on super unemployment it's probably only a cumulative $20-$30k. I guess all the people not traveling, not eating out, not driving to work and wrecking their cars is going right into recreation. We are up more than 60% at the skate factory yoy. 

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 03:02:02 PM »

I paid 8k for my 06 f350 4wd long bed crew cab just 2 years ago. I see them selling for 15-20k right now. There is a work truck dealership here in Goleta that usually has around 40-50 trucks on the lot and there are only 5 left now! It's like a ghost town at that dealership. The Ford dealership here is adding 20-30k markup onto their trucks (we're talking 110k for a f350!). Who can afford this stuff?

It is super weird how there is so much money sloshing around. I mean, the stimulus should've been burnt up by now and even if you maxed that out and were on super unemployment it's probably only a cumulative $20-$30k. I guess all the people not traveling, not eating out, not driving to work and wrecking their cars is going right into recreation. We are up more than 60% at the skate factory yoy.

I think most people are broke because they go out to eat and pretty much directly consume their paychecks.

So now that restaurants were closed for so long, people ended up with more spending money than normal.

That's my theory anyhow.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 03:08:22 PM »
That's a good read on it. People drink, smoke, and eat their money away a lot. I hardly eat out anymore, I think my cooking is better most of the time and DEFINITELY the fruit is! At least we all have our gardens to eat from.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 03:19:37 PM »
I'm broke because I bought a trailer and a 6.0 powerstroke... LOL
-Kris

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 03:37:29 PM »

We all have our vices.   ;D

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 05:42:43 PM »

So it's YOU who is jacking up the 6.0 truck market! Did yours blow up shortly after ownership? I've put 20k miles on mine and had to do a few things, vac pump, ac resistor blower motor, batteries and then starter (in the costco parking lot no less). Mine is bulletproofed... But I still count my blessings when it runs.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 09:07:03 AM »

So it's YOU who is jacking up the 6.0 truck market! Did yours blow up shortly after ownership? I've put 20k miles on mine and had to do a few things, vac pump, ac resistor blower motor, batteries and then starter (in the costco parking lot no less). Mine is bulletproofed... But I still count my blessings when it runs.
haha. I bought it a few years ago but it's always costing me something. Recently was FICM power board, batteries, alternator, all front end bearings and tie rods and a $600 steering box. Still throws a wrench light when towing up steep grades. I'm not bulletproofed. If she blows I'm selling it and towing with my 97 k2500 suburban. LOL
-Kris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 09:35:57 PM »
Should have bought a dodge
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2021, 12:28:52 PM »
Should have bought a dodge

I paid half the price of a Cummins for my 6.blow. The guy I bought it from had just dropped $12k on it to bulletproof it and put new heads on it. I truly hope I get some good service out of it before something else major happens.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2021, 12:55:13 PM »
im just messing around.  dodge is like a bullet proof engine wrapped in a giant turd box.  door handle stop working, wires in the doors break, windows wont roll down, seats are full of holes...  Drives like a brick.  i hate my truck but only keep it because theres nothing else out there better for the money.  no way Ill ever buy a new vehicle. 
Brad Spaugh

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2021, 07:58:38 PM »

We've had a new Chevy S10, new Ford expedition (~F150), and now have  '02 Toyota Tundra. Chevy was junk, Ford was great for kids for first 10 years,  but the Toyota purchased used in '08/ 60Kmiles has been rock solid and is overall better as as near 20 year old truck than a 4 year old S10 or a 10 year old Ford.

My '85 Celica lasted until 2008 with close to 300K miles until the plastics melted.

The price of new trucks is too scary!!! There's  a lot # of my $10k 02 Tundra for the price of one '20/21 Tundra. I'll buy my wife a new vehicle but I'm sticking with not so new and probably not Chevy or Ford... my dad said the big 3 used to be awesome until the 70's