Author Topic: Evergreen edibles for zone 9b / 9a  (Read 1652 times)

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
Evergreen edibles for zone 9b / 9a
« on: April 10, 2021, 10:44:02 PM »
Pretty much wondering if there any good edible evergreens that can be used as a windbreak or use to make microclimates ?
Edible fruits or anything you that can be used as like a vegetable maybe okay as well ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 10:45:33 PM by Nyuu »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Evergreen edibles for zone 9b / 9a
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 11:42:26 PM »
Macadamia, tamarind ,citrus types ??

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 12:06:10 AM »
Would not recommend citrus for obvious reasons.   Macadamia will bring in unwanted squirrel populations.  Tamarind would not be the greatest for a windbreak.

I know this sounds odd but Grumichama will grow upright and fill out for a windbreak.  Bay Rum/Lemon Bay will also fill up and out.  Allspice would do so, also
- Rob

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 05:40:10 AM »
Would not recommend citrus for obvious reasons.   Macadamia will bring in unwanted squirrel populations.  Tamarind would not be the greatest for a windbreak.

I know this sounds odd but Grumichama will grow upright and fill out for a windbreak.  Bay Rum/Lemon Bay will also fill up and out.  Allspice would do so, also
Ty but I should have gave more information so you're know the situation

My friend need fast growing trees least about mango growing speed because she growing a lot of mangoes and need the protection to get those mangoes big enough and establish to survive the winters there .
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:43:26 AM by Nyuu »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 07:46:45 AM »
Maybe, pigeon peas, mulberries, and passion fruit
Seedling loquats

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 08:23:56 AM »
Pigeon Peas have not been wind-resistant in my yard. Pretty much every one of mine exposed to winds is leaning over. But they do grow fast, and could perhaps make a nice microclimate if not exposed to wind. Mulberries grow fast, but the one tree near where I lived in a 9a location would lose its leaves every year, so I'm not sure how effective they'd be? Loquats were abundant and evergreen throughout the year. Even my Mexican Guavas grew fast there and unless we had serious cold, would keep their leaves through winter.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »
Not the best (or worst) for privacy, but a moringa tree or 2 would be a good source of food. Ours adds a little privacy, and could provide more if trimmed right. Great plant to have around.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 12:05:30 PM »
Not the best (or worst) for privacy, but a moringa tree or 2 would be a good source of food. Ours adds a little privacy, and could provide more if trimmed right. Great plant to have around.
They lose all the leaves When it gets too cold .
That's why I'm having a hard time figuring out what might work there.
I thinking maybe Monkey puzzle = Araucaria araucana but don't know if there's anybody in Florida is selling them

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 12:32:27 PM »
Inga is fast growing.  Not sure how it will do in the area.

- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 01:03:44 PM »
They lose all the leaves When it gets too cold .
That's why I'm having a hard time figuring out what might work there.
I thinking maybe Monkey puzzle = Araucaria araucana but don't know if there's anybody in Florida is selling them

maybe. you might want to give it a shot and see

evergreen here in Miami area

could always let some passion vines, etc grow over it to add to the privacy and food value

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 03:31:58 PM »
Ok, below is your list of essentials as best as I can figure from the thread.

1). Cold hardy to 9b/9a border
2). Make a good wind break
3). Stay evergreen (Wind break is most needed in winter)
4). Grow as fast or faster than mango
5). Produce food

Asper bamboo comes to mind as one of the few plants that would meet all those requirements. Catley (strawberry or lemon) guava would be good, too although I don't think they grow quite as fast as mango. Full size Natal plum is not as fast growing as one would like, but will make a fantastic windbreak once established.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 06:50:10 PM »
In the warm areas of zone 9 it would work but she gets about 10° lower then my area I'm pretty sure she will have issues with those .

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 06:55:01 PM »

5). Produce food

Asper bamboo comes to mind as one of the few plants that would meet all those requirements. Catley (strawberry or lemon) guava would be good, too although I don't think they grow quite as fast as mango. Full size Natal plum is not as fast growing as one would like, but will make a fantastic windbreak once established.
I did think about bamboo too or cold Hardy avocado varieties

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 09:04:10 AM »
I just want to give a thank you to everybody replied and I will give the information to my friend .

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 12:29:21 PM »
The edible bamboo has made a great windbreak for me. They grow faster than mango for sure. If you can get hooked up with an Asian community you can sell bamboo shoots. This has been very lucrative for me. The one I have is unidentifable even by experts, a gift from a Thai-American friend. It is clumping but does spread root zone out under the driveway. That is actually good since it eliminates most weeds in that zone.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 12:37:34 PM »
Pigeon Peas have not been wind-resistant in my yard. Pretty much every one of mine exposed to winds is leaning over. But they do grow fast, and could perhaps make a nice microclimate if not exposed to wind.
One way to help the pigeon peas be more wind resistant is to tip prune them at knee high and again at waist high.
This thickens up the base, widens the tree and perhaps lowers it some but mine eventually get about ten feet with that protocol. Spacing them out or growing clumps may also help.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 02:19:08 PM »
In the warm areas of zone 9 it would work but she gets about 10° lower then my area I'm pretty sure she will have issues with those .

My inga did ok this year totally unprotected in 9b. It's just a seedling about 3' tall. I have one under some oaks I am thinking will do really  well too.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 03:13:51 PM »

My inga did ok this year totally unprotected in 9b. It's just a seedling about 3' tall. I have one under some oaks I am thinking will do really  well too.
Did you get close to the low twenties if I recall is winter she went down to 24 Fahrenheit

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 03:53:33 PM »

Did you get close to the low twenties if I recall is winter she went down to 24 Fahrenheit

It went to 26f and I put a trash can over top of it. Just one night. It suffered no damage.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 08:28:44 PM »

It went to 26f and I put a trash can over top of it. Just one night. It suffered no damage.
I'm surprised because I have a customer lives in Venus Florida that literally showed up today and told me his burn down to the ground but it coming back from the root

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 09:00:52 PM »
One way to help the pigeon peas be more wind resistant is to tip prune them at knee high and again at waist high. This thickens up the base, widens the tree and perhaps lowers it some but mine eventually get about ten feet with that protocol. Spacing them out or growing clumps may also help.
Thanks for the advice, pineislander!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 09:02:29 PM by fliptop »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 11:46:52 PM »

5). Produce food

I did think about bamboo too or cold Hardy avocado varieties
Blue chungii is pretty nice to look at if you're considering bamboo. Although i will say, dwarf thorny clumping bamboo has served us the best, both as a wind block and as an intruder block- it grows tight and has annoying thorns. We got another type of larger thorny bamboo too, which I call barbed wire bamboo for a reason haha. have poked so many holes in clothes due to this one.
Old hamii gets pretty tall with bigger shoots.
Black bamboo is pretty but foliage is not very cold tolerant, just light frosts maybe.
Then theres theres this non-invasive running hedge type bamboo we got too, doesnt get over 8 ft or so. I don't know the name but it is excellent, not too scant and not too crazy either. If i knew the name i would reccomend it
Alphonse karr pretty good as well
Never ever get fishpole bamboo youll regret it
Avocados can be finicky.. Fungus issues come to mind... Not a bad idea though.
Consider arbutus unedo?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:56:45 PM by 850FL »

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 03:54:26 PM »
Here in Vegas, which is zone 9a, evergreens that also bear something you can eat are very rare.

Citrus grow well in these zones, but are too slow to grow for proper wind break, not to mention being rounder and wider.

Loquat can grow here, but it's not easy to get them acclimated to survive and thrive.

Avocado trees can also grow here as ornamentals, but they're even more difficult to acclimate and take years with specific care.

Mangoes are nigh impossible.

Bamboo is probably your best bet. Old Hammi does great with proper watering and light. If you like bamboo enough, you can eat the shoots for certain varieties.

Beyond that, the only other evergreen trees I see that do very well are pine, red push pistache, and olive. There are others, but they're not going to be ideal for your windbreak needs.

Your mileage may vary depending on if you're in desert hellscape 9a or tropical friendly 9a.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:57:49 PM by Fygee »
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 08:24:17 PM »
If the op had been in Arizona (or is that Arid-zona? lol!), I would have encouraged him to look at Pinyon pines. I believe there are a few that are even native to Arizona. I left it off the list for Florida, though, because I have never heard of anyone fruiting them here. Italian stone pine would probably have the best chance in zone 9.