Author Topic: Mango Harvest in Socal  (Read 15415 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Mango Harvest in Socal
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:17:44 AM »
I've had about 12 mangos drop this week. The Glenn's are delicious but I've been surprise on how much the Ataufo's have improved in taste. Last week I found a cluster of Corriente mangos inside the canopy, I forgot about these.

Ataulfos and Glenns

cluster of corriente mangos

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Harvest in Socal
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:03:47 AM »
Isn't it great to be able to enjoy Florida mangoes while in season, and Cali mangoes while Fl folks watch?  ;D

That's a nice looking bunch, how do those taste?
Tim

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »
Corriente mangoes? JF, you've been holding out on us ;) ;D . How do they taste? Looks super productive. They have that SE Asian look, but all I got from google is that they "are" from Mazaltan Mexico and are polyembryonic.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »
Looks great JF...NICE Cluster of mangoes!! Enjoy...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »
Very nice looking mangoes, JF.  I have sort of lost interest in mangoes.  But, to be polite, I am going to feign interest.  So......good to hear that your Glenns are good. Your Ataufos don't look like they sell here in the stores as Ataulfo......any idea why?   I never heard of Corriente.  Where did you source it from?  If my Spanish is correct, it means current.....right?  In what sense is that word being used as its name?  Is it modern, flowing, or what?  Checking google translator, it seems it could also mean ordinary or normal.  If so, is the fruit appropriately named?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
Looking good! And delicious. On your Glenns you are an amazing 3 months behind Florida going by my tree which was edible June 1st. When the fruit is ready it is ready, Florida's higher temperatures accelerate mango tree growth and ripening

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »
" I have sort of lost interest in mangoes."
Harry

What!?!?...Harry I am very confused by this comment  :o :( :o :-\ :P

How can this be...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
Very nice looking mangoes, JF.  I have sort of lost interest in mangoes.  But, to be polite, I am going to feign interest.  So......good to hear that your Glenns are good. Your Ataufos don't look like they sell here in the stores as Ataulfo......any idea why?   I never heard of Corriente.  Where did you source it from?  If my Spanish is correct, it means current.....right?  In what sense is that word being used as its name?  Is it modern, flowing, or what?  Checking google translator, it seems it could also mean ordinary or normal.  If so, is the fruit appropriately named?

Harry

Overload of mangoes... mango burnout for the year?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 11:46:36 AM »
Wow JF, they look great!  Cant wait to hear about the Corriente.  The only exciting mango event for me this year was getting Paul Thompson and Coconila grafted on.

keep it up,
-Ethan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »
" I have sort of lost interest in mangoes."
Harry

What!?!?...Harry I am very confused by this comment  :o :( :o :-\ :P

How can this be...
Overload of mangoes... mango burnout for the year?

Yeah........just got tired of them.  Started cutting trees down this past weekend.  I expect my yard to be mango-free by next week.  They just are not worth growing anymore.  I am going to plant out winter wheat for the upccming season instead.  Much more flavor and less anthracnose.  I expect the Cuban May Beetles, Diaprepes weevils and sri lankin beetles are going to be starved out.  Good riddance.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »
 :o :o :o
I hope Harry is just kidding.  :o :o :o
Even the great Maha Chanok?!?!
In any event, wheat is not without its own problems as well.
http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/wheatpests.html
http://ipmguidelines.org/FieldCrops/Chapters/CH05/CH05-6.aspx
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »
Tim -

Yes, it's our turn. In a few years, with this crew, we can hold our first mango tasting party in Sept. too that veterans mango growers like Leo, Jim, Roger or Eunice don't participate in this forum.

TnTrobbie  -

I got the tree 2.5 years ago in Vista at California Tropical Fruit Nursery. It's in the same hole with the Alfonso. The tree gave me sweet small juicy fibeless fruits the first year but it did not fruit last year. Supposedly the tree comes from somewhere in Baja California or maybe Mazatlan, I forgot. So if you like mangos like Okrung, Choc Anon you'll love this one.

Harry -

the Ataulfo taste wise is pretty close to what you buy in the store. I knocked a couple off the tree last month and they ripen but the taste wasn't right. Now they have sweetened up and they have little to no fiber. So you're given up mango???then I guess you wouldn't be interested

Ethan -

You are going to have to pick up your Thompson and Coconut Cream budwood over here in La Habra.....no word yet. 

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »
Thanks JF for the budwood offer but I already have them grafted and growing, a friend brought me some budwood a few months ago.

-Ethan

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 06:19:47 PM »
Gorgeous looking mangos JF....Corriente can also mean ordinary or common when is comes to food.

FloridaGreenMan

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »
Hi JF,
What a bunch of gorgeous mangos 8) Sure does look yummy ;D ;D ;D

Madeira and Socal are on the same boat...Floridian fellow members have already gorged themselves with mango ;) We are still in da game ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks a bunch for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 07:02:09 PM »
Way to bring it on HOME JF.....Glad you're finally enjoying the  "fruits" of your labor.
Yeah, those Corriente mangos do look mighty prolific....hmmm.......mine are all played out,
eaten, gone. vamanos, finito, etc.

Though my news is I just freed up so room in my yard for a couple "condo" mangos or something I can keep under 8-9
feet.  A few blueberries just succumbed to the heat, so I've got a bit of room not.

Did I tell you i've planted and sprouted a whole bunch of polyembrio's?  Okrung, Ataulfo, Manila,
Pina Colada, Rosigold....I think that's about it....THere in pots - I'll probably play Johnny Mangoseed
with most of them and just give them to neighbors to plant - gotta get the "hood up to speed on
this fruit.  They're all pretty much dummies when it comes to growing anything but citrus....

But I forgive them......    ;D  Gary
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:06:06 AM by MangoFang »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 07:14:36 PM »
Gorgeous looking mangos JF....Corriente can also mean ordinary or common when is comes to food.

Thanks Noel for the clarification.  I guess I put off my fellow members with my poor attempt at joking.  Sorry, all. I was in a bit of a weird mood earlier today.  No winter wheat in the offing here.  I am anxiously awaiting a report of the Corriente mango...to see if it is ordinary or extra-ordinary.

Harry
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:14:08 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »
Thanks Ethan, Noel, Steven and Gary. I'm still waiting for the Pickering and Lancetilla to ripen. I have 12 or 13 Glenns , Ataulfo left. The Corrientes, Pickerings and Lancetillas are next. Next year I expect a bigger crop from my Glenn but I'm leaning towards letting my trees rest for the third year per Richard Campbell's videos.

Steven -
When do you guys harvest your mangos? Here in Socal it's from Aug. to Nov. best wishes with your crop.

Gary -

so you have a couple of spots open?? what about a Bailey's Marvel, a Graham or a Jakarta. Forget about condo mangos concentrate on production and taste. Our grafted trees don't grow very large just look at you Rosie after 6 years.

Harry -

It'd be a sad day if you ever retire

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 05:44:05 AM »
Thanks Ethan, Noel, Steven and Gary. I'm still waiting for the Pickering and Lancetilla to ripen. I have 12 or 13 Glenns , Ataulfo left. The Corrientes, Pickerings and Lancetillas are next. Next year I expect a bigger crop from my Glenn but I'm leaning towards letting my trees rest for the third year per Richard Campbell's videos.
Steven -
When do you guys harvest your mangos? Here in Socal it's from Aug. to Nov. best wishes with your crop.
Gary -
so you have a couple of spots open?? what about a Bailey's Marvel, a Graham or a Jakarta. Forget about condo mangos concentrate on production and taste. Our grafted trees don't grow very large just look at you Rosie after 6 years.
Harry -
It'd be a sad day if you ever retire

Hi JF,
We harvest mangos around the same time as you. If my tree flowered and fruited earlier this year, i would have already harvested my first fruits. But, it was attacked by powdery mildew and didn't set fruit...luckly this badboy reflowered about a month or two after(around March) and did set 4 gorgeous fruits 8)...The fruits have already coloured up nicely, but the extreme base of the fruit is still little bit green :( When do you reckon i can harvest them? It's going to be the first time, i harvest mangoes from a tree...can't wait ;D

Thanks JF...wish the same to you :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »
JF,

What a great haul you got there. I'm jealous, mine keep dropping like flies, at the size of a finger, split and just dropped.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
JF,

What a great haul you got there. I'm jealous, mine keep dropping like flies, at the size of a finger, split and just dropped.

Thanks NewGen. I had 6 more Glenns and 2 more Ataulfos fall, this is pretty fun! I can now share some with family. Glenn is a precocious, fast growing and early mango. After less than 2 years on the ground it's giving me a decent crop....next year 40-60 mangos? here is a pic of my mango rows. I have a mango tree in front each tree on the ground to coerce them....if they don't produce hasta la vista baby ;D I put my Lychee in front of the Glenn ;)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 10:31:59 PM »
Wow, and they're in containers too. That's even more impressive.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 07:58:15 PM »
Wow, and they're in containers too. That's even more impressive.

Hi NewGen

Only one of my container mangos was allowed to hold fruits, Pickering. I pinched off the flowers of 90% of all my mango trees ..... opted for new growth this year.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »
Here are my Ataulfo, California Keitt and Cangrejo's Mexican mango ( from Cabo)

ataulfo overripe mild with some fiber taste improving

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »
MangoDog ( Gary) and I can't be the only ones who have harvest mangos in Socal so I went to a few locations I have been monitoring since last year...here is what I found. Everyone in Socal who is harvesting their mangos please post.

Cangrejo's Cabo aeedling( Santa Ana), Mexican Mango seedling( North Tustin), Edwards graft ( North Tustin) and Timotayo graft(Santa Ana)

here are the trees

Cangrejo's

Mexican Mango and NDM seedling

Edwards

Timotayo