Author Topic: Best way to start jackfruit seeds?  (Read 11676 times)

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
Best way to start jackfruit seeds?
« on: May 18, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »
Hi a nice couple at our local farmer's market gave me a few jackfruit seeds fresh out of the fruit.  What is the best way to start them? How big of a pot should I use..are they picky about transplanting? Any other tidbits of info or tips would be great too. Thanks!
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to start jackfruit seeds?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
Just below the surface of good draining soil mix, deep pot, partial shade until about 3 feet tall works best for me!

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »
Just below the surface of good draining soil mix, deep pot, partial shade until about 3 feet tall works best for me!
I have done it the way Patrick mentioned with much success. I also have taken the seeds and put them in a larger zip lock plastic bag on moist/wet paper towels. I really like doing it this way because I can see the roots developing when they germinate and just plant them tap root down in a tall container 1-3 gal with potting mix. It's a preference thing really....I just like watching the seeds germinate ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
Place one jackfruit seed in center of one gallon pot and cover with one inch of soil. Extremely easy seed to sprout. Keep well watered and in partial shade. When about 12 inches tall you can transplant into larger pot. They are not sensitive at all to being transplanted. (In tropics jackfruits can become weedy as the seeds under the trees will all sprout and become volunteer trees.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:15:55 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
hump up, hilum down, planted in situ
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »
They are not sensitive at all to being transplanted.

My NS-1 seedling went into transplant shock when I transferred it from a pot to my front yard. It dropped all of it's leaves and never put out any more growth, stayed dormant for months and the branches died.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
They are not sensitive at all to being transplanted.

My NS-1 seedling went into transplant shock when I transferred it from a pot to my front yard. It dropped all of it's leaves and never put out any more growth, stayed dormant for months and the branches died.

I've transplanted many hundreds of jacks with no problem.  But this is in a nursery situation, where i can control amount of sunshine and water. You transplant from a nursery semi shade situation into full sun and yes ANY plant can have transplant shock. Compared to most other trees jacks are very resilient plants.
Oscar

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
Thanks for all your help planting my seeds! They both sprouted and are about 7 inches tall now. The rain water washed the seeds around in the pot and so they are right up next to each other lol. They have roots coming out of the bottom of the pot now so I guess it is time to separated them. I hope I don't put them into shock trying to pull them apart now lol.
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:39:43 AM »
Personally I put them into a container of water. I notice tropical seeds mostly like a ton of water to sprout. Being soaked in it seemed to work great for jackfruit. I also tried wet paper towels, that worked too, but just a cup of water is even easier to see the progress. For me I think 6 out of 7 sprouted either of these ways, so they must be pretty easy to grow.

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
That does make sense, Droshi. I have my set in a non-working fountain that has some standing rain water in it. I had to find somewhere up high to put my smaller pots so the free ranging chickens couldn't get into it and scratch out the seeds lol. The roots grew right out the bottom of the pot towards the water really fast.  I bet it is pretty neat to see the seed actually sprout in  a clear glass of water. I will have to try that if I ever get any more jackfruit seeds.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 05:33:50 AM »
Personally I put them into a container of water. I notice tropical seeds mostly like a ton of water to sprout. Being soaked in it seemed to work great for jackfruit. I also tried wet paper towels, that worked too, but just a cup of water is even easier to see the progress. For me I think 6 out of 7 sprouted either of these ways, so they must be pretty easy to grow.

Just to be the hundredth person to chime in with my experience, I got some jacks from roy_ind and despite the great mail and customs delays (not his fault, Iceland's), every one of them germniated using the polyethylene bag method.  These are some pretty easy seeds to germinate.  :)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 12:03:46 AM »
In this climate, and I suspect as a general truth, far and away the most vigorous healthy seedlings are ones where the seed can be planted  in situ.

Jakfruit in this warm wet subtropical climate do admirally planted in situ. Its day and night with green sapote.

Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 06:48:06 PM »
Just curious, how many years does it take for a Jackfruit tree to fruit from seed?

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »
I have recently sprouted a couple dozen jackfruit seeds by doing the following:

I soaked the seeds in a bowl od water for 24 hrs prior to putting Tem
Into their containers.  I purchased small degradable brown cups/containers (about 3" diameter) and filled with potting soil and placed the seed maybe 1" deep in the soil.  Then they were placed in full sun and watered each day in the morning as well as evening. 

90 percent success rate.  Most seedlings poked out from the dirt in 2-3 weeks. 

Brad
Brad

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 08:29:52 PM »
Fresh Jak seeds are among the easiest of all the seeds to germinate.  Just stick them in a pot, water and wait a short time. Keep them warm though! 
FloridaGreenMan

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 08:39:34 PM »
Depends on your location and maintenance schedule, but according to Morton it can be anywhere from 2.5 years for the extremely precocious seedlings to 14 years on some. Personally, my old man grew a 30+ year old tree without a single fruit  ;D

Just curious, how many years does it take for a Jackfruit tree to fruit from seed?
Tim

natsgarden123

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 09:37:24 PM »

ditto....it works

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 04:59:35 AM »
Fresh Jak seeds are among the easiest of all the seeds to germinate.  Just stick them in a pot, water and wait a short time. Keep them warm though!

Given right climate the jackfruit seeds start so easy it is invasive. Grows wild all over Brazil. Even at top of sugar loaf mountain!

You just need to make sure to remove all pulp carefully so the seeds don't get moldy. Also don't let the seeds dry out or get baked in sun before you plant them.
Oscar

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 06:50:23 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
That is a beautiful photo! My seedlings are a few feet tall now. They would probably be bigger if I had potted them into larger pots sooner :-\
How large of a pot should they be in now?
 I am going to overwinter them in the greenhouse. What is the coldest they can get without damage? I am trying to figure out at what temp. F, I should plan to run the propane heater...We don't get a lot of nights below freezing. Last winter I didn't even have to run the heater but last winter was not at all typical for us (much warmer).
Will I be able to keep these at a shorter height like around 10-12 ft at the most? They are going to have to stay in pots until I move further south lol.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
I saved three seeds from Harry's Mai 1 seedling,  I just popped them in a container, all three sprouted and are growing well.   they seem easy to grow.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

natsgarden123

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 06:08:54 PM »
I saved three seeds from Harry's Mai 1 seedling,  I just popped them in a container, all three sprouted and are growing well.   they seem easy to grow.

Beyond- My 2 yo MAI-1 seedling is about 10 feet tall, and I've pruned it a number of times!

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 08:47:15 AM »

Beyond- My 2 yo MAI-1 seedling is about 10 feet tall, and I've pruned it a number of times!
Nat, what is the thickness of the trunk? may in a year or two it will be strong enough to fruit!

natsgarden123

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 03:51:31 PM »

Nat, what is the thickness of the trunk? may in a year or two it will be strong enough to fruit!

This tree has been pruned numerous times- 2 years ago, it was a seed. That is a 6 ft fence in the photo.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »

This tree has been pruned numerous times- 2 years ago, it was a seed. That is a 6 ft fence in the photo.

Somebody please tell me that jackfruits grow really, really slow the first year and then pick up speed massively the next year. Cause if not, then i am doing something horrible wrong beyond the fact that i'm growing them in containers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk