Author Topic: Green Sapote  (Read 1259 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Green Sapote
« on: March 23, 2021, 01:58:21 AM »
Does anyone in the states grow green sapote?  I would to try, but I live in phoenix metro.  I know it is a high elevation plant, not sure if it could take our heat or handle our 28 degrees maybe one or 2 nights a year.
Would test it myself, but they are expensive.

Itay Gazit

• san jose
    • View Profile
Re: Green Sapote
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 02:58:00 AM »
Shamos had one video that he showed the GreenSapote in his GH. I don't think it survived

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 06:09:57 AM »
I have one here in Lakeland Florida. It's about 9' tall right now and flowering like crazy. I've had root problems with the tree as the spot gets a wet in late summer but I've managed to keep it alive for 4 years now.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 08:59:00 AM »
I have three growing outside here in the central coast of CA.  Originally grown in greenhouse, they are 6-7 ft tall and have been planted outside for 3 years.  They have flowered, but small fruits fell off.  They have taken 27 degrees this year (once), but our freezes are of short duration.  Growing like mad now, hopefully will get fruit this year.  Counting on and accepting global warming (we used to get 22-26 degree freezes 30 years ago, now rarely below 30.)  Apricots used to grow commercially here, now we get few due to lack of winter chill.  Comparison:  two covered mangos (4 ft) only lost new growth this year (their first year).  We lack any real heat, summer highs in the mid 70's, which is another limitation.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 09:11:29 AM »
I have one in a container in my greenhouse that is flowering.  It is about 3ft tall, pretty sure it is grafted

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 11:39:16 AM »
I have one in 9b California that is doing really well. It was in my greenhouse for the winter and put on a solid 6-8" of growth through the winter. I up potted it and look forward to seeing it grow this year.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 04:17:14 PM »
I had one fruiting for a few years. The fruits took soooo long to ripen and when they did the fruit was meh, mediocre. I took it out.

Regards,

Gary

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 05:52:50 PM »
Thanks for input.
To say Shamus is an expert on tropical fruit trees is like saying islet at Marriott hotel last night and now I am qualified for brain surgery.  The only thing he does is find someone else's post online, copy it verbatim and claim it as his own.  Oh, and the other thing he does well is qualify as being one of the most miserable, hateful persons on the planet. 

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 06:18:11 PM »
Thanks for input.
To say Shamus is an expert on tropical fruit trees is like saying islet at Marriott hotel last night and now I am qualified for brain surgery.  The only thing he does is find someone else's post online, copy it verbatim and claim it as his own.  Oh, and the other thing he does well is qualify as being one of the most miserable, hateful persons on the planet.

Why hateful?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 07:21:00 PM »
Green sapote adapts well here in Hawaii to lowland tropics. I have trees fruiting for many years. They can take some heat, but doubt they could take very low humidity or dry winds. The plants are delicate when small, and need some shade at first, so suggest babying them till the get good size. If you decide to try to grow them suggest installing some micro misters and planting in a wind protected area.
Oscar

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 01:27:43 AM »
Bonsai, because when he started up his business, he tried his best to take my one friend's business out, then he tried to destroy my other friends farming business online, then he followed me on Facebook and threatened my life and to follow my wife and kids to work, school.  Started to go onto my computer and posted pictures of me(nothing bad, but never knew how he got them).  He I recently trying to ruin another friend's business by posting really bad reviews online that are made up.
Every Facebook account that he starts fractures in half with half the people hating him and the others loving him like Charles Manson followers.

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 02:23:16 AM »
I have three growing outside here in the central coast of CA.  Originally grown in greenhouse, they are 6-7 ft tall and have been planted outside for 3 years.  They have flowered, but small fruits fell off.  They have taken 27 degrees this year (once), but our freezes are of short duration.  Growing like mad now, hopefully will get fruit this year.  Counting on and accepting global warming (we used to get 22-26 degree freezes 30 years ago, now rarely below 30.)  Apricots used to grow commercially here, now we get few due to lack of winter chill.  Comparison:  two covered mangos (4 ft) only lost new growth this year (their first year).  We lack any real heat, summer highs in the mid 70's, which is another limitation.

Nice! Was there any damage at 27 degrees?

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 09:08:22 AM »
No damage to Green Sapote, new growth is fine.  Nearby mangos did suffer damage to new growth, old leaves are fine.  A particular quality in our area (I have observed over the years) is plants harden off before freezes.  Our summertime lows are in the mid to low 40's, we get no lush growth, just slow growth.  Perhaps plants are more prepared for wintertime low temperatures.  We are planting 5 different mangos to ascertain if global warming opens up more opportunities for plant selection.  What is certain is that over the past 48 years, we have nothing like the freezes we have had in the past.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk