Author Topic: Is this "fake" lulo?  (Read 840 times)

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Is this "fake" lulo?
« on: October 23, 2020, 12:01:33 AM »
My naranjilla plants grown out from Baker Creek seed are finally producing fruit. They're quite tasty, but the flesh is yellow instead of the green I was expecting to see. A little googling suggests these might be "pseudolulo," which is said to be inferior. Bummer! Makes me wonder what "real" lulo tastes like. Or are there yellow fleshed varieties of lulo?

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
Re: Is this "fake" lulo?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 12:10:01 AM »
Last year I had a similar situation, but the seeds I purchased from tradewindsfruit The plant and fruits were identical to your photos. I searched for information on the Internet and one of the found was that it is pseudolulo. According to other information, I read that this variete lulo is grown for mass production of juices.
❀ Sergey ❀

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 04:50:10 AM »
Looks like naranjilla to me. I have the extra thorny sour ones that are used in Asia in papaya salads as lime substitutes with a bit of pdak. Their armoury is quite impressive.I have never tried a sweet type and yours look pretty good. I am forever pulling up seedlings popping up everywhere.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 06:38:30 AM »
Looks like naranjilla to me. I have the extra thorny sour ones that are used in Asia in papaya salads as lime substitutes with a bit of pdak. Their armoury is quite impressive.I have never tried a sweet type and yours look pretty good. I am forever pulling up seedlings popping up everywhere.
I agree with you, the taste of the fruit was very sour and the only thing that pleased me was the pleasant aroma of the pulp.
❀ Sergey ❀

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 10:58:35 AM »
I've been enjoying mine. They taste like orange sour gummy bears with a tiny bit of savory flavor in the background.

The thorns are intense. I wear bbq gloves to pick the fruit and I still get stabbed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk