Author Topic: Low cost irrigation emitter  (Read 1544 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Low cost irrigation emitter
« on: April 27, 2020, 07:23:00 PM »
Some may have seen this already especially at nursery outlets which is where I saw it first. The method is especially good for recently planted trees it may not be enough for mature trees.
The method uses small diameter flexible tubing approx 1/4 inch (~6 mm) and pieces of irrigation tubing to diffuse the water exiting the small tubing.
First cut pieces of the small tubing to the desired length, make angled cuts on each end, I use a very sharp standard pruning shear.
Then cut 2 inch (50mm) pieces of large diameter tubing.
Using a standard punch or other tool punch a small hole in the 50 mm long pieces large diameter tubing. Using a suitable angled piece of plastic, I use an old stake emitter, ream out the small hole by stretching it but not cutting into the plastic.
One the hole is enlarged, work the angle cut end of the small tubing into the diffuser piece. The plastic will stretch and then tighten back to hold tight.
Repeat the process at the location needed along the run of the irrigation line close by the desired root zone of the plant or tree.

Hope this helps. The small tubing seldom clogs, but sometimes rats or squirrels do chew on the tubing and it needs to be replaced. I got mine in a 1000 foot roll at the irrigaton supply house.
here are some pictures:

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Low cost irrigation emitter
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 08:18:56 PM »
I have somme straight and also T adapters wich fit that small tubing.
At the end of the the small tube i put one difuser.
Sometimes,spiders nest inside the difusers and they stop working properly.
Lately im thinking to try those cheap hoses that have difuser holes right into the hose.Somme are made from thick material and otthers are thin ( we call that strip tubes and are the cheapest).

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 08:52:38 PM »
How many of these do you use?  I am using the rain bird emitters which are cheap enough for me.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 05:49:26 PM »
I have used about 200 so far. Some I installed last year to feed some annual crops like pumpkin and Xanthosoma and even perennials like coffee and Monstera in amongst my main irrigation system. My mainsystem I have been using microspinner sprinklers which can wet up to 10 feet diameter, but they cost about $2-3 per emitter. These are less than $1 each, just the cost of tubing the rest is just labor. With virtually any emitter there is a tube, this eliminates all other costs since the only cost expense is tubing.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:54:48 PM »
Ah that does make sense.  The drip emitters work well enough for me but small spray emitters would be better

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 07:16:17 AM »
These run a little more than a trickle, but not a spray. My system runs about 10 psi across 2-1/2 acres. I will test the flow but mainly wanted to show that there is a DIY method with lowest possible price. I see rainbird emitters costing $4 ea the small tubing costs 10 cents/foot.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 08:03:14 AM »
These run a little more than a trickle, but not a spray. My system runs about 10 psi across 2-1/2 acres. I will test the flow but mainly wanted to show that there is a DIY method with lowest possible price. I see rainbird emitters costing $4 ea the small tubing costs 10 cents/foot.

Just clarifying, the flexible tubing is ~ 1/4" diameter? What would you say the diameter of the large tubing is?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 03:05:13 PM »

Just clarifying, the flexible tubing is ~ 1/4" diameter? What would you say the diameter of the large tubing is?
1 inch its the big tube.
In Europe we use cm and SI promoted by Napoleon,but all the pipes we still measure in inches   :D.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 05:03:28 PM »

1 inch its the big tube.
I am using 3/4 inch main line tubings and cut off pieces of the 3/4" for the diffusers. Yes, Outside diameter of the small flex tube is approx 1/4". Come by and I can show you and direct you to the local sellers out near Labelle.
In Europe we use cm and SI promoted by Napoleon,but all the pipes we still measure in inches   :D.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 09:40:48 PM »

1 inch its the big tube.
I am using 3/4 inch main line tubings and cut off pieces of the 3/4" for the diffusers. Yes, Outside diameter of the small flex tube is approx 1/4". Come by and I can show you and direct you to the local sellers out near Labelle.

Thanks, we'll have to stop by so you can show us.