Author Topic: Questions on caimito...  (Read 17374 times)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on caimito...
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 10:30:55 PM »
Well if we take this back to original question, I simply wanted to know what the normal caimito fruit size was in South Florida. I never thought mine was huge. I just needed a frame of reference.

Oscar, the fruit in your pic does look bigger than mine, which I measured at about 3" diameter.

Jaime

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 10:35:52 PM »
That's my hand, and i'm 6'2" (1.9m).
Raul, there's not a green type around that beats the taste of these giant purples i have. These purples not only taste great but interior purple flesh is beautiful.

Holy smoke, I am still waiting for your pink camito I got awhile back to fruit; do you have any seeds for Sale of your Giant Oscar Purple  Camito; what I saw at your site many moon ago look small; you were hiding these Giants than!😃 Give me ten seeds if you could; so I can chainsaw all the little craps I got from the folks around here!

The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
I don't have any Star Apple tree, Oscar. It's what some growers in SE Asia told me and I verified that in my buyings of the fruits. Whenever I find a stall that sells smaller fruits than others, I always buy from that vendor and was never disappointed. The reverse always led me to the eternal question of purple and green Star Apple and which one is better.
I have a purple caimito tree,they are just ok;
A few years ago Luc got from a Taiwanese farmer some green caimito with the size of a grapefruit; he spare one with me; when I tried Hooo mi Gud!!!!!! One of the very best fruits I ever try!!!  Miles away from all the purple ones I tried before; plenty of white flesh; super sweet; with cherimoya notes, firm flesh; just a dream of a fruit I plant the seed but the tree is only about 2 meters high; cant wait to try it again; with some other fruits I also notice that the white flesh ones are sweeter than the ones with the fancy color; for instance ilamas....m
All right Raul, note me down for your grapefruit size green Camito when It fruit.  I am niw looking for grapefruit size Camieto.  Tiring of all the Midget varieties I am growing!😣  You know Luc growing these?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »
Raul, there's not a green type around that beats the taste of these giant purples i have. These purples not only taste great but interior purple flesh is beautiful.

Holy smoke, I am still waiting for your pink camito I got awhile back to fruit; do you have any seeds for Sale of your Giant Oscar Purple  Camito; what I saw at your site many moon ago look small; you were hiding these Giants than!😃 Give me ten seeds if you could; so I can chainsaw all the little craps I got from the folks around here!

I've had these giant starapples for long time. Posted about them many times on this forum, and hardly anyone asked for seeds. :o The original tree is/was planted at my neighbor's, so i can't take credit for it. I noticed they were very unusual when i first got here and planted a couple seedlings in same planting hole. Both produced similar sized fruit. Shape is slightly different in both but still elongated. And both taste great.
The photo on the seed page you can't really tell the size because it is a crossection.
It's a darned good fruit and vastly underappreciated. Best of all here: the fruit flies never sting them. The thinner skinned green starapples sometimes get stung.
Oscar

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »

I've had these giant starapples for long time. Posted about them many times on this forum, and hardly anyone asked for seeds. :o The original tree is/was planted at my neighbor's, so i can't take credit for it. I noticed they were very unusual when i first got here and planted a couple seedlings in same planting hole. Both produced similar sized fruit. Shape is slightly different in both but still elongated. And both taste great.
The photo on the seed page you can't really tell the size because it is a crossection.
It's a darned good fruit and vastly underappreciated. Best of all here: the fruit flies never sting them. The thinner skinned green starapples sometimes get stung.
. Can you save ten for me, I am still finalizing what other stuff I need to buy from your site by this Thursday.  I must have missed your purple a while back; but you were kind enough to sell me the pink camieto & they seem to thrive here.  Fantastic Oscar, any other private stash of Giant fruit you have not tell us who have the occassional Dementia?😃

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 11:15:57 PM »
I don't have any Star Apple tree, Oscar. It's what some growers in SE Asia told me and I verified that in my buyings of the fruits. Whenever I find a stall that sells smaller fruits than others, I always buy from that vendor and was never disappointed. The reverse always led me to the eternal question of purple and green Star Apple and which one is better.
A few years ago Luc got from a Taiwanese farmer some green caimito with the size of a grapefruit; he spare one with me; when I tried Hooo mi Gud!!!!!! One of the very best fruits I ever try!!!  Miles away from all the purple ones I tried before; plenty of white flesh; super sweet; with cherimoya notes, firm flesh; just a dream of a fruit I plant the seed but the tree is only about 2 meters high; cant wait to try it again; with some other fruits I also notice that the white flesh ones are sweeter than the ones with the fancy color; for instance ilamas....m
All right Raul, note me down for your grapefruit size green Camito when It fruit.  I am niw looking for grapefruit size Camieto.  Tiring of all the Midget varieties I am growing!😣  You know Luc growing these?
Coconut I would guess Luc tree is closer to bear than mine or probably allready did cause Im talking about 9 years ago; my tree has been neglected cause I planted in the hill where my previous gardener didn't pay atention, check with him please; by the size of my tree I figure Im 2/3 years away....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:21:39 PM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 11:53:06 PM »
Coconut I would guess Luc tree is closer to bear than mine or probably allready did cause Im talking about 9 years ago; my tree has been neglected cause I planted in the hill where my previous gardener didn't pay atention, check with him please; by the size of my tree I figure Im 2/3 years away....
Thank You Sir Very Much, I will be sure to Harass him next!👍👍👍

MangCau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 12:39:34 AM »

How long did it take for the seedlings to set fruit?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 01:29:08 AM »

How long did it take for the seedlings to set fruit?

Under ideal conditions they will start fruiting in 4-5 years.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 01:34:20 AM »

. Can you save ten for me, I am still finalizing what other stuff I need to buy from your site by this Thursday.  I must have missed your purple a while back; but you were kind enough to sell me the pink camieto & they seem to thrive here.  Fantastic Oscar, any other private stash of Giant fruit you have not tell us who have the occassional Dementia?😃

Yeah sure will save some for you Coconut! I just picked one medium sized fruit, and so to be more scientific i measured it. (Usually they go straight into my mouth.) It was 3 inches wide by 5 inches long. No private stash right now, but stay tuned in for later developments in the news...as it happens.  ;)
Oscar

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 03:32:45 AM »
What part of the fruit do you eat? Only the clear aril that surrounds the seed, pomegranate-style?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 04:08:35 AM »
What part of the fruit do you eat? Only the clear aril that surrounds the seed, pomegranate-style?

No, you eat the whole fruit, except for the outer rind. The part around the seeds is actually not the best part, as it is a bit gelatinous. The rest of the pulp is more juicy and milky sweet and delicious.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 05:55:08 AM »

I really like that denser jelly around the seeds.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 12:29:40 PM »
Can you describe the flavor?
John

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »
It's too bad it can't be grown here in California. One of the few fruit trees that truly cannot, along with abiu.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »

Very tropical.  Hard to describe.  If you can make it to Excalibur on Saturday I can let you taste it.  Defibiteky a tree worth growing.  It is also a very good looking tree which serves a dual purpose (produces high quality fruit and aesthetically pleasing).
- Rob

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »

The best one I tasted so far had a flavor that I can only describe as somewhere between grape flavored candy and cream soda. I like the chewy coating around the seeds also.
Life is good

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 11:56:18 PM »
Thank You Sir Very Much, I will be sure to Harass him next!👍👍👍

Well folks after consulting with Guru Luc over Raul's Grapefruit caimito size disorientation, Luc said his was gotten from a Vietnamese Friend not Taiwanese Fella.  That this caimito fruit  is like a good size orange.  Luc said it flowered this year but didnot beared fruit yet!  " He also said that Raul must have gotten kick pretty hard in the head by the mule Raul rode on-up the Mountain (or kick in the head by his Wife) looking for orange Lucangosteen to recall such tall tale, a rotten fig of imagination as a triple d-cup size green Caimito.  No such thing as a grapefruit size caimito in Luc's Fruit Stable for now( if it fruit Luc I am interest in this green tasty fruit)  I will have to conclude Oscar Giant Purple for now is the biggest; bigger than the Dominica Republic green I was trying to get!😝. The chainsaw is singing my song? Oscar Giant Purple Caimito will grace my Parkland for next 7-10 years Until a better larger fruit come along!😄👍👍👍

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 04:02:19 AM »

I really like that denser jelly around the seeds.

Mike

This is not the purple or the green, this is that one special, right  ?
Thanks
Ricardo

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 06:41:04 AM »
Ricardo there is more than green and purple out there.Quite a while ago I showed a collection  that included some intermediate between green and purple that can have red skin and purple streaks inside.The big  spherical one I showed was trumped by Oscars bigger egg shaped purple.Juicy pearl is a different species and the pinks and golds are a different ball game,so yes.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 10:26:55 AM »
Baseball size?  That is one big a$$  caimito

Figured if take a photo of a fruit I picked today

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
That's just about the size of mine, slightly over 3" diameter.

By the way, baseball size is 3" or just under. So these are bigger than baseballs!  8)

Jaime

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »

By the way, baseball size is 3" or just under. So these are bigger than baseballs!  8)

Jaime

Yeah, they are pretty large.  Chainsaw bar is getting oiled up though- I'm still not impressed with the fruit quality/tree size .

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »

Jaime

Yeah, they are pretty large.  Chainsaw bar is getting oiled up though- I'm still not impressed with the fruit quality/tree size .

Yeah,  seedling Star Apple is a large tree and could be considered less than appealing if the fruit quality is not good.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 10:36:14 PM »

Jaime

Have you been fertilizing it? That might improve flavor. You might also consider grafting on some choice types rather than cutting whole tree down.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk