Author Topic: Plinia clausa (Anihuayo)  (Read 3162 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Plinia clausa (Anihuayo)
« on: March 02, 2020, 08:24:36 PM »
Couldn't find any info on the forum on this one so figured I'd start a thread. Seeds planted less than a month ago. Two out of ten have germinated so far.

Found a couple pdfs: http://repositorio.iiap.gob.pe/handle/IIAP/128

http://repositorio.iiap.gob.pe/handle/IIAP/89
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 05:31:36 AM by mikesid »

PedroAC

• Colector from Azores Islands, Portugal
    • Ponta Delgada
    • View Profile
Re: Plinia clausa (Anihuayo)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 06:32:34 AM »
Hi

Looking great!

Were the seeds from Hunter's?

Good luck!

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 02:20:22 PM »
look at this one
https://www.yumpu.com/es/document/read/13322394/contribuciones-al-conocimiento-de-frutales-nativos-amazonicos/11
check this pics and see how different looks the pulp from the ones on a Hand from the others look almost like a different fruit, ones with pulp kind of Guava type and the others with juicy translucent flesh like Jabos do, think the one have been distributed now by one seller are the ones with dense opaque flesh like the ones on the hand, wonder were to get the other ones

exercises to reduce bust size at home
https://postimg.cc/gallery/hoasgd7w/
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:24 AM »
Planted 20 seeds just today!

Oscar

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 02:23:55 PM »
look at this one
https://www.yumpu.com/es/document/read/13322394/contribuciones-al-conocimiento-de-frutales-nativos-amazonicos/11
check this pics and see how different looks the pulp from the ones on a Hand from the others look almost like a different fruit, ones with pulp kind of Guava type and the others with juicy translucent flesh like Jabos do, think the one have been distributed now by one seller are the ones with dense opaque flesh like the ones on the hand, wonder were to get the other ones

Raul do you think it is subspecies or different species?
does anyone know if the seller dealer - amazon garden fruits is honest?
Daniel

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
look at this one

I'll like to think it is a different subspecies as you said as the shape of the fruit and the interior looks totally different also the people who bought from seeds hunter I think were told the tree is Dioecious while a friend of mine an Agro Engineer from Perú told me that the variety with translucent flesh they only one here knows has perfect flower....
I think the seller is legit talking about Seeds hunter as several from here had bought Anihuayo from him
El verde es vida!

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 11:54:06 AM »

I'll like to think it is a different subspecies as you said as the shape of the fruit and the interior looks totally different also the people who bought from seeds hunter I think were told the tree is Dioecious while a friend of mine an Agro Engineer from Perú told me that the variety with translucent flesh they only one here knows has perfect flower....
I think the seller is legit talking about Seeds hunter as several from here had bought Anihuayo from him

Yes the the fruits are indeed different enough to think it is subspecies, also the fruits from the document is somehow ribbed/costade on the surface.. i also thought about ripness, if the trasnculant flesh couldnt be just cause of overripe or very ripe ripe fruit. unfortunately very little info info..

I know Seeds hunter, however not sure where he sourced these seeds, and if there is any source for these seeds, as there is a lot of ppl around the world showing germinating the seeds.. so wondering if all have the same genetics comming from seeds hunter shop.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:13:27 AM by sanitarium »
Daniel

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 11:03:01 PM »
a dioecious plinia...?

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »
a dioecious plinia...?
a Peruvian fruit engineer just told me is Hermaphrodite flowers at least the ones here has who are the ones with translucent flesh
El verde es vida!

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 03:40:18 AM »
Does anyone have an approximate size that this tree gets to?  i'm trying to decide where to plant it
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 09:07:07 AM »
I wonder how similar Plinia inflata (both mulchi and giant mulchi), Plinia clausa and Plinia sp. Shawi are. Maybe There are other similar species or subspecies of them in Peru, Brazil and Ecuador.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 07:25:37 PM »
I never really bought the claim that Plinia clausa was dioecious. That idea came from a story that Bill Whitman had a single Plinia clausa tree which grew for years and years, never bore fruit, and was believed to be a male tree (no idea why).

I have growing evidence that Plinia clausa is self-fertile like all other Plinias in cultivation: one of my three year old trees just flowered for the first time and appears to be holding fruit.

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 07:44:36 AM »
Periodically decreasing temps really ramps up the growing process on this one. I start testing one of my seedlings this month on feeding thresholds so I will post results of findings here. I’m starting off with Earthworks 822 this week.
I grow Camu Camu, it’s what I do.
Www.camucamufarms.com

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 07:53:41 AM »
Couldn't find any info on the forum on this one so figured I'd start a thread. Seeds planted less than a month ago. Two out of ten have germinated so far.

Found a couple pdfs: http://repositorio.iiap.gob.pe/handle/IIAP/128

http://repositorio.iiap.gob.pe/handle/IIAP/89

Same happened with my 10. Some are still popping up from months ago. Now I’m curious if the delayed ones will have a more developed root system than the others or if it is just the way it is lol.
Www.camucamufarms.com

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 10:22:07 AM »
Update: I have 2 seeds that hit reset many times and have still not taken on growth. However, the root systems are large enough to plant in a quart(6in) pot. I just took them out of the greenhouse today and hit them with some Mycoapply.
Www.camucamufarms.com