Author Topic: Avocado tasting  (Read 7392 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado tasting
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2021, 02:47:08 PM »
What time Brad? I'll bring some Big Jim Loquats and mulberries, all i have ripe right now. Gin berry by request :) Plus some pakistan seedlings and maybe imbe.
Shane

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2021, 11:16:48 PM »
Shane, it’ll be at 10am!

I’ll be bringing some Loquats and probably Avocado smoothie.

We will be juicing some sugarcane as well.

I got both my Covid shots but I’ll be social distancing and wearing a mask when not eating. See everyone tomorrow!

Simon

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2021, 06:00:45 PM »
Great gathering, thank you Brad and family, Simon and all volunteers.
Was nice to meet Val, Shaneatwell, BonsaiBeast, Mark Lee, Richard, Greg and others.

Someone brought Bacon avocado, it was top for me. Was a surprise cause you don’t hear much about it taste wise or among top tier varieties.

Thanks,
FruitFool

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2021, 06:53:23 PM »
That was an awesome event today. I know it was an Avocado tasting but Richard, Mark, Ken and others brought fruit trees to give away. The avocados were incredible and it was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Here’s the recipe for the Avocado Smoothie I made:

In a large blender, throw in 2 large or 3 small avocados, 2 big pinches of Himalayan pink sea salt, and half a can( approximately 7 oz. of sweetened condensed milk. Add 2 cups of milk and blend for about 1 minute to emulsify everything. Once everything is blended well, throw in 3 cups of ice and blend until the ice is all broken up into tiny pieces.

You can also throw in a banana to make an Avocado Banana smoothie which some people prefer.

Enjoy

Simon

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2021, 11:53:14 PM »
Brad, thanks again for you and your family hosting the event. Simon, that avocado smoothie was the best, and of course the sugar cane juice. And thanks to Richard for some nice little rarities.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2021, 12:47:47 AM »

Brad Spaugh

Ado

• Torrance
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2021, 01:34:46 AM »
Thanks for hosting it was a blast! It was great to meet everyone. The avocado smoothie was amazing. Simon, you have the recipe for sugar cane juice? Also, were those loquats the ones you took? I didn't know I was a fan until I tasted those. Any chance I can get scion?

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2021, 01:59:28 AM »

Brad Thanks a lot for hosting the event and the delicious avocados! It was super well planned and organized. I haven’t tasted most of avocados and they all tastes good to me.

Everything was delicious- avocado smoothie, sugarcane juice, mulberry, loquat. Can’t wait to have the next gathering.

7seas

• Carlsbad, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2021, 04:06:48 AM »
Thank You Brad and family for hosting such a great event, I have never tasted that many avocado varieties in my life!
It was a pleasure to meet everyone.
Simon, the avocado smoothie and sugar cane juice was the bomb! Thanks for the smoothie recipe.
Many thanks to the plants sharing people!
Cheers,
Val

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2021, 10:34:29 AM »
[/url
I'm surprised to see how well Bacon ranks, but I base that on my so-called SoCal Life, which was pre-1989.  I guess the Bacons I tasted back then were picked too early, or something?  I remember them as seeming to have half the oil content as Fuerte, and now they outperform Fuerte.  12 varieties outperforming Fuerte!  That's impressive.  Fuerte was the gold standard back in the day.  Are there still avocado groves in Fallbrook?
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2021, 10:40:32 AM »
The reviews were kind of all over the place.  I was surprised by the results also.  But not really surprised sharwil came out on top.  I think its the best one.  Sharwil, jan boyce, carmen, pinkerton...

On their own many of these are great avocados but having side by side with the others can ruin even a very good tasting fruit. 

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2021, 01:27:57 PM »
Who brought the loquat scions?  What type are they?
Brad Spaugh

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2021, 02:12:32 PM »
Wow I can’t believe how low reed ranked! 😳

Looked like an incredible time, thanks for hostin and postin 👍

-joe

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2021, 02:18:16 PM »
Reed is a late summer fruit, these were included for fun but the results are misleading.  Don't read into the results too much, the reviews were all over the place.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2021, 02:20:05 PM »

Brad Spaugh

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2021, 03:00:09 PM »
Who brought the loquat scions?  What type are they?

Big Jim
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2021, 03:04:00 PM »
Best gathering so far brad! Amazing to be able to taste so many varieties at the same time. Loved the spontaneous plant exchange at the end too!
Shane

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2021, 03:11:28 PM »
thanks shane

heres the link to a PDF with results if anyone wants to read reviews.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14ysKrkUI_2aZm7OFl2C5YUcdPvWQoCQp/view?usp=sharing
Brad Spaugh

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2021, 03:48:57 PM »
Thanks Brad and Brianna. Great to meet everyone. That was way more fun than tasting avocados alone. I loved hearing everyone's impressions, and like Brad said, the impressions varied a lot.

Some of the few consistencies I heard were many people's surprise at how delicious the Bacon was, as well as how bland the Reed was. But it's all about harvest seasons, as Brad said. Those Bacons were as rich and flavorful as Bacons can possibly get before dropping off the tree whereas the Reeds weren't even ready to be harvested yet.

At the same time, I heard lots of people say there were surprised at how good the Nabal was there on May 1. I too couldn't believe how tasty it was so early in the year, before its usual harvest season.

Simon, I have to repeat what everyone else has said: the avocado smoothie and sugarcane juice were amazing!

I was sick of eating avocados at the end of the day yesterday, but then to my surprise I still cut one open for breakfast this morning and enjoyed it.

What a great hangout. Great idea and great generosity, especially Brad. I hope we can do something like that again.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2021, 03:54:53 PM »
Thanks for hosting it was a blast! It was great to meet everyone. The avocado smoothie was amazing. Simon, you have the recipe for sugar cane juice? Also, were those loquats the ones you took? I didn't know I was a fan until I tasted those. Any chance I can get scion?

The Sugarcane juice was just fresh pressed San Diego Yellow Sugarcane with Calamansi for acid balance(also acts as antioxidant) plus ice to dilute the sweetness down. It’s unbearably sweet without the ice.

Someone else brought Loquats so I’m not sure which ones you ate. If you’re in the neighborhood, contact me and I can get you some scions.

Simon

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2021, 03:57:46 PM »
The loquats in the metal bowl were big Jim. What did you have in the ziplock Simon?
Shane

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2021, 04:05:27 PM »
Shane i have your bowls.  I guess we need to setup another party again so I can return everyone's stuff. 

Let's plan another party for July, I have lots of fruit to sample mid summer.  We could do fourth of July and shoot guns and eat fruit make lots of noise. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 04:07:33 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2021, 04:34:47 PM »
Very interesting and I would have thought reed sharwil and pinkerton would be at the front of the pack and bacon at the the rear. Bacon is perhaps the most cold tolerant Guatemalan. I wonder how much climate they are grown in contributes to fruit quality of varieties.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2021, 04:54:53 PM »
I wouldn't read too much into the results.  The reed isn't in season yet.  And the 2 people at the tasting with the most experience tasting didn't get their votes counted. 

The bacons were super ripe so people liked that I guess.  They are not bad but there's better.  Some people just like that soft creamy texture I think.  For me personally I like a more dry and dense fruit that can be used to make thick guacamole. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2021, 12:07:24 AM »
The loquats in the metal bowl were big Jim. What did you have in the ziplock Simon?

Shane, I had Big Jim’s in there also. I’ve been feeding with some 3-12-12, gypsum and I try not to overwater so that’s why they’re smaller but maybe a tad bit sweeter than without the fertilizers.

Simon