Author Topic: Buy avocado seeds or scions  (Read 1141 times)

avocado

• Sweden
    • View Profile
    • www.odlarinnan.com
Buy avocado seeds or scions
« on: March 13, 2021, 11:32:27 AM »
I live in Sweden and it’s so hard to find Mexicola, Mexicola grande or Wilma here. I would like to buy some seeds or scions. Is there anyone in here who can sell and send it to me?

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: Buy avocado seeds or scions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 07:20:07 PM »
Try to grow fuerte good taste can go down to -3C

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 09:05:43 PM »
 I have some scions if you want some mexicola grandes.  The fruit is not in season until November so no seeds.m
Brad Spaugh

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 05:21:08 AM »
I have some scions if you want some mexicola grandes.  The fruit is not in season until November so no seeds.m

How well do you think they could take the trip? I'm planning to buy some next year, so I'm already looking at my options.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 06:58:13 AM »

How well do you think they could take the trip? I'm planning to buy some next year, so I'm already looking at my options.

DHL costs around $100 and arrives in three days.
However you're not allowed to bring plant material so they might confiscate them at the customs I'd they check.

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 10:30:39 AM »
My Mexicola start to produce as early as late May if you’re interested in seeds. Season for me is late May to early August
Robert

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 01:33:54 PM »
DHL costs around $100 and arrives in three days.
However you're not allowed to bring plant material so they might confiscate them at the customs I'd they check.

Wow, that expensive really? I just received a DHL package from Spain today with some persimmon cuttings. Absolutely no issues at the border. I paid about 25 EUR.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 02:23:19 PM »

Did you buy scions from me a few months ago?  A few people did and they made it in a week.  Which is fine for avocados.  Obviously we want it to be as fast as possible but scions wrapped in buddy tape should be ok for 10days or more. 
Brad Spaugh

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 02:31:52 PM »
Did you buy scions from me a few months ago?  A few people did and they made it in a week.  Which is fine for avocados.  Obviously we want it to be as fast as possible but scions wrapped in buddy tape should be ok for 10days or more.

I did and my scions arrived in 8 days, but I'm not sure that this is going to be the same every time. The scions were stone fruit and apples, though. Generally, about 10 days should be the limit for avocados?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 02:39:01 PM »
i dont know what the limit is but 10 days should still be ok.  beyond that, its getting fairly old and will depend on how warm they are during travel.

ive had a few people buy the scions and get good grafts rates in europe. 
Brad Spaugh

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 02:58:22 PM »
It can get freezing outside boarding the airplane. From California to Europe they need to change three airplanes plus trucks and so on. It's a huge risk.

I got some lychee plants with soil that died in transportation for one week. There is always a risk with shipping plants.
I wouldn't give avocado scions more than a week to survive.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 04:52:45 PM »
whatever you do try and have people sending you scions long distance wrapped in buddy tape.  thats going to keep them fresh without getting mold and rotten longer than with wet material in the bag. 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk