Author Topic: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone  (Read 67645 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone
« Reply #300 on: May 02, 2021, 02:53:18 PM »
ok, good. Very nice of Ken.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 02, 2021, 03:22:07 PM »
Anyone doing bottle graft or approach graft? Simon? Just tossing around ideas.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 02, 2021, 03:24:43 PM »
I was noticing some dying back of the tips of the plants so I went ahead and clipped them all to graft onto some M. californica.  I left rootstock & a bit of graft in most cases and plan to wrap those in tape.  I'll probably just be doing cleft grafts.

I just got 4, 5 gallon M. californica to try and graft a few of each type onto.  They are a pretty common tree in nurseries here in Northern california. 
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 02, 2021, 11:27:18 PM »
I'm interested in 1 of the Dongkui.
I'm in Hawthorne near LAX.  If still available
Bob

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 04, 2021, 01:09:03 PM »

I don’t want to jinx it but I think I see signs of life on my donqui

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 04, 2021, 04:52:57 PM »
Anyone doing bottle graft or approach graft? Simon? Just tossing around ideas.

Hey Fang, I plan on approach grafting onto M. Californicus but I’m going to wait until the grafted plants have fully recovered before attempting anything.

How is your plant from the first group buy doing? Do you have any advice for us?

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2021, 04:54:44 PM »

I don’t want to jinx it but I think I see signs of life on my donqui

That’s very promising, please keep us updated! I’m afraid to even look at my plants too long for fear that it will just up and die on me.

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »

Grafted what I could onto californicus. I do not hold out much hope at all for these grafts. Maybe the micro grafts... only one scion I took was decent and healthy looking (the smallest one)

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 05, 2021, 12:26:06 AM »
That looks good.

I removed more dead woods.
Only 2” long branches left.
No buds.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 05, 2021, 12:38:51 AM »
i noticed theres no buds on any of the trees.  the rootstocks from the local nursery, covered in new growth and buds.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:07:02 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 05, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »
At the very tip of one of mine (it was dead) it had the same bud look as californicus. I don’t have much live wood left on the scions (has to cut back a lot) and the lower stuff wasn’t budding like the top, and then not all of them either - I think just biqi

Hoping for the grafts!

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 05, 2021, 12:28:07 PM »

I feel I should mention that Fang Liu has done many many yang mei grafts onto my myrica californica and even though some took and pushed leaves for over a year, they all ultimately and quite suddenly died.  He reported to me this week that he had finally successfully grafted onto a myrica californica plant I had given him (his was still in the pot I think;  mine in the ground) but I believe Yunfei Chen found grafting on East Coast bayberry was more successful than on our west coast version (so you folks in  FLA may be in luck!)  The article on Chen https://www.californiabountiful.com/features/article.aspx?arID=2451also made it sound that he was grafting onto yang mei seedlings he had grown so who knows? 

Lol, wax myrtles? Plenty of those around here if anyone wanted to trade something for Florida wax myrtle rootstocks. I might go ahead and start severing runners..

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 05, 2021, 12:42:31 PM »
I'm curious what the rootstocks of our plants are. One can assume yangmei, I guess. If our graft doesn't work on what we received... Maybe we will still get some yangmei if the root stock survives?

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #313 on: May 05, 2021, 02:10:56 PM »
Been following  this from beginning.  I was in on the first go around and unfortunately mine did not survive.  Truly an incredible effort and I hope everyone has 100% success with your trees!  Hey beicadad...you should write up your procedures, findings, conclusions from start to finish.  Should make for one hell of a read!  I'm sure it would be a good source for anyone else wanting to do something similar.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 05, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »
Most of my smaller branches are completely dried out and dead. Some of the thicker branches are still partially green.

I found one bud sprouting from one of the rootstocks and I immediately pinched it off. I’m still hopeful that at least a few of us can keep these plants alive and hopefully fruit them.

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 05, 2021, 03:06:37 PM »
Simon, I would not have pinched off the only thing growing. Now your rootstock may not make it. If you left it alone at least you could see what type of rootstock they used if your Yangmei doesn't make it. I would wait until you see new bud growth on the original grafted branch before removing the rootstock buds.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:16:47 PM by sc4001992 »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 05, 2021, 03:10:26 PM »
Simon, I would not have pinched off the only thing growing. Now your rootstock may not make it. If you left it alone at least you could see what type of rootstock they used if your Yangmei (graft) doesn't make it. I would wait until you see new bud growth on the grafted branch before removing the rootstock buds.

I'm pretty mean to my grafted plants and never let them grow anything below the graft union till it is fully established and growing well. It would be sad to not give the graft the energy it needs - but I admit that you probably have decades more experience than I do Kaz, so, maybe I'm wrong to do this.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 05, 2021, 03:14:16 PM »
Oh, I thought he was talking about the actual Yangmei plant received, and not the rootstock (californicus.) of the newly grafted plants.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 05, 2021, 04:16:37 PM »
Oh, I thought he was talking about the actual Yangmei plant received, and not the rootstock (californicus.) of the newly grafted plants.

I think Simon was referring to the rootstock of the Yangmei plant, not the m. californica.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 05, 2021, 04:37:37 PM »
Hello, my plants are all still pliable and not dying back.  I am considering wrapping some of them entirely in buddy tape.  Just to seal in moisture and keep them going as long as possible.  I will wait one more week then inspect the roots on 1 plant to see if the tree is trying to come back.  They are being kept in the garage where the temperature is nearly always 70-80F and under weak grow lamp on 24/7
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:41:24 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2021, 05:30:59 PM »
I only have buds on BiQi. It is losing leaves but the branch stays green so far. Some buds seem to be swelling but not very sure yet. I did some grafting too. Too early to tell.

My setup is very primitive - a trash can with plastic cover. I open it up during the night and cover it during the day. Give it some spray a few times.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 05:34:23 PM by beicadad »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 05, 2021, 05:45:47 PM »
Those buds look great, I think you're successful on keeping it alive!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 05, 2021, 06:27:36 PM »
Thats looking promising!
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 05, 2021, 06:47:07 PM »
Simon, I would not have pinched off the only thing growing. Now your rootstock may not make it. If you left it alone at least you could see what type of rootstock they used if your Yangmei doesn't make it. I would wait until you see new bud growth on the original grafted branch before removing the rootstock buds.

The growth was coming from the rootstock of the Yangmei plants that we received from China. I’ve grafted many many plants as most forum members have seen from my various posts here and I highly recommend pinching back growths from the rootstock in order to focus the energy to the grafted scion which I want to push. Any energy given to the growth of the rootstock will equate to that much less available energy to the scion.

Simon

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 05, 2021, 07:34:00 PM »
I'm curious what the rootstocks of our plants are. One can assume yangmei, I guess. If our graft doesn't work on what we received... Maybe we will still get some yangmei if the root stock survives?

seller that the rootstocks are yangmei seedlings.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk