Author Topic: EXCALIBUR FRUIT TREES MISLABELED MANGO TREE  (Read 2762 times)

Fish Have Feelings

• South Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
EXCALIBUR FRUIT TREES MISLABELED MANGO TREE
« on: March 24, 2021, 12:16:08 PM »
Hello Forum,
I have a few mango trees in my south Miami yard and among them are Orange Sherbert and Lemon Zest (which is massive and produces well despite having dirty leaves year round). I love the Po Pyu Kalay (PPK or Lemon Meringue) so about 2 years ago I bought what was labeled as a Lemon Meringue from Excalibur fruit trees in lake worth. I still have the 15 gallon liner that is clearly marked lemon meringue as I use it for moving dirt around. ANYWAY the tree is now holding a few fruit that look like a Tommy or Palmer or something like that SEE BELOW. Has this happened to any of you?

I am VERY ANNOYED as this is a better spot than just about any of my other mango trees have and I wanted a tree that will get large quickly in that particular spot. I will post an update of images as the fruit matures. Please comment on what you think this tree might.

Thank you
Manuel Menendez
IG Fishhavefeelings
South Miami

BEEN READING FORUM FOR YEARS -RECENTLY REGISTERED

17 Mango cultivars at home, plus dozens of anonnas, avocados, guavas, lychees, and other fruits.

Hobbyist beekeeper and chicken person, amateur ecologist and pomologist. Easily amused but I probably like plants and animals more than people.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: EXCALIBUR FRUIT TREES MISLABELED MANGO TREE
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 12:48:59 PM »
Lemon meringue PPK has a very distinctive leaf highly wavy on the edges. You can see it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRBgTZKW2NA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 01:38:33 PM »
Yeah, thats not a PPK for sure.  Dont even need to see the fruit to know that.
- Rob

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 10:22:08 PM »
Looks like all the Hayden’s in my yard and my neighborhood right now, same stage...but I’m
Sure could be others. I’d be pretty pissed, kinda a lot of time and energy and patience and obsessing, lol. Sucks though seriously.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 09:04:32 PM »
It happens in all the big nurseries . Could happen when plant is being potted up.  I know that is not a excuse but when you are working with thousands of plants mistakes happen.
Mike

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 12:27:04 AM »
It happened to me 3 times. Once with citrus and once with mango. Bought a $120 twig from Hatcher farm and 3 years later it turned out to be a Van Dyke. Called hatcher and they told me to drive up and I’d get a Hatcher replacement free. The citrus tree the same thing free replacement. Third time was bad because it was supposed to be a Golden Lippens and it was not. Bought it by mail from a nursery with a huge selection of mango trees on the west coast of Fl and got no satisfaction. Read lots of reports of this happening to lots of people who bought from them. This never happens at Zill. Never say never. But I’ve bought about 250 trees from them and it’s never happened. I did buy a group of Zill trees one time and I couldn’t make out if it said FP or PP on the container.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 07:57:12 AM »
Tommy Atkins does not have pronounced spots on the fruit’s skin like yours. At least, all the ones I’ve seen in grocery stores do not. That’s one easy way I sort Kent’s out from a mixed batch..
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:34:59 PM by 850FL »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 02:54:09 PM »
If you don't like the fruit just top work it with what you want, no big deal.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 06:33:09 AM »

On Mango for sure, but some fruit trees are not so simple to remedy. I got a "winterset" persimmon years ago and everyone who saw it said it's clearly not winterset.  It's a decent fruit and I'm not going to pull it but mis-labeling should not be an issue even in large production.

Regards,

Gary

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 08:28:09 AM »
Are all mangos even graft compatible, long term? Or might he need an interstem..?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 10:40:35 AM »

On Mango for sure, but some fruit trees are not so simple to remedy. I got a "winterset" persimmon years ago and everyone who saw it said it's clearly not winterset.  It's a decent fruit and I'm not going to pull it but mis-labeling should not be an issue even in large production.

It's also a pain if they take a long time to produce and they're big and hard to graft. I understand OP's frustration, but yeah, a little grafting goes a long ways.

As a small time gardener, mis labeling is understandable, but certainly should have some kind of system in place to not happen at large for profit nurseries

Fish Have Feelings

• South Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »

UPDATE
OF COURSE THE MISLABELED TREE IS NOT ANOTHER DESIRABLE CULTIVAR THAT ONE WOULD ENJOY.
Its a piece of crap Haden. Am now doubting my 2 other young trees from excalibur.
NEVER BUY FROM THEM!
BEEN READING FORUM FOR YEARS -RECENTLY REGISTERED

17 Mango cultivars at home, plus dozens of anonnas, avocados, guavas, lychees, and other fruits.

Hobbyist beekeeper and chicken person, amateur ecologist and pomologist. Easily amused but I probably like plants and animals more than people.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 09:30:45 AM »
I know it's a total pain in the butt, but did you call them about a replacement?  It seems the least they could do.
John

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
My friend gifted a supposedly Mahachanok 5 years ago from Excalibur, there was also a label that listed the name and date of said variety. Removed fruit first few years so didn’t think anything of it. Last year it fruited but fruit dropped. This year it has a lot of fruit but it’s a malikka, not a Mahachanok, I hope it’s as good as some say, because i sure do like eating Mahachanok.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 10:42:42 AM »
My friend gifted a supposedly Mahachanok 5 years ago from Excalibur, there was also a label that listed the name and date of said variety. Removed fruit first few years so didn’t think anything of it. Last year it fruited but fruit dropped. This year it has a lot of fruit but it’s a malikka, not a Mahachanok, I hope it’s as good as some say, because i sure do like eating Mahachanok.

Good thing, as Mallika is better than Mahachanok.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:17:25 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 09:54:04 PM »

Are you sure it’s a Mallika? Post pics.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 01:05:17 PM »
This is common with Excalibur. I've heard this countless times.  The problem is there property is very disorganized, only because its over crowded, but because they don't have trees sectioned off from one another. Also, as far as the workers and ownership goes, the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.  Buying anything from them is a gamble on multiple levels.

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 11:59:28 PM »
Hi Manuel,

Sorry to hear that but not surprised since I had that happen with 2 of my trees as well from there. I cut the trees down to a stump and top worked onto the new growth. This will save you time compared to planting a new one. Contact me if you need any help with this.

Regards,

Victor V.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2021, 03:00:42 PM »
This is common with Excalibur. I've heard this countless times.  The problem is there property is very disorganized, only because its over crowded, but because they don't have trees sectioned off from one another. Also, as far as the workers and ownership goes, the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.  Buying anything from them is a gamble on multiple levels.

It really is a gamble.

Walked on buying a few plants yesterday since the worker and owners dont know the prices. Tons of mis labeled diseased plants. The 2 I bought actually look like they came from a backyard nursery. Went to lara farms and spent way less and had an amazing experience getting help from Julian. Bought more than I expect to.