Author Topic: picking scion for grafting  (Read 803 times)

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
picking scion for grafting
« on: March 26, 2021, 11:41:51 AM »
my tango in a 15 gallon container is flushing with new growth or flower on almost every bud.  Is it too late to take scion wood from it for cuttings?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: picking scion for grafting
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 12:53:26 PM »
Scions (branches) build up energy, and then exhaust much of its energy in flowering, flushing and fruiting.  The best time to cut a scion for grafting is just before the flowering/flushing process begins, that when the scion is at it highest energy level.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:58:22 PM by Millet »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 05:37:54 PM »
Looks like you can cut either the bigger branch on the left of your photo, or the other bigger branch on the right side. Make sure that you check the leaf attachment point and if there is no new buds pushing yet, then you can cut and graft that scion. If there's any growth from the leaf then its too late to cut it. Also the wood needs to be firm, not soft. Cut off the tip of the branch if its soft. As Millet said, if they have flowers on all the branches then best to wait until fruits are done and just before new growth. I'm still grafting a lot of new citrus varieties now on my trees.

I have a Tango grafted on my tree, the fruits tastes good, not great but still nice since its seedless. Your branches look much stronger (fatter) than mine and I had about 6 fruits last year.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 08:11:26 PM »
I would spray some urea before taking scions on that tree. Looks like N deficient. By spraying you simulate the dormant bud.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 01:25:18 AM »
yup, I didn't look at the color of the leaves, they sure are yellow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk