Author Topic: Bark graft cherimoyas?  (Read 1077 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Bark graft cherimoyas?
« on: April 01, 2021, 07:16:43 PM »
Anyone done much of it?  I had zero success on large stumps, tree did not like being chopped down at all.  Did not come back like an avocado. 

I'm thinking of being a little less harsh and just cut back some 1-2inch branches and only partially top work a tree.  Can I do bark grafts on cherimoya?
Brad Spaugh

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Bark graft cherimoyas?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 08:20:35 PM »
I did it on most my atemoyas trees a few years back.
I saw JFs scion sale and went crazy.

Basically had the same experience, grafts took, then both the tree and the grafts died. All 3 inch branches and bark grafts

The trees were all producing decent crops before.

Didn't realize how much less forgiving they were than mangos

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 09:23:31 PM »
I did it with 66% success rate last year. Top worked a 15 gallon and bark grafted two scions to each scaffold. The key was just waiting until the bark started slipping at the beginning of April.
Kenny

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 09:30:29 PM »
I did a few earlier this year and one shows promise. It has some buds popping and it looks kinda ok. We'll see.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 10:39:44 PM »
I've done a bunch in the last 10 years on large rootstock, there seems to be a side on the rootstock that has a "straighter" linear edge that I would make a shallow cut into with a bunch of cambian showing and they would do fine. Almost like doing bud grafting on citrus.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 10:56:27 PM »
Sayyid Khan, thats what what happened here too, the trees just gave up.  Smaller rootstock size trees it seems like no problem. 

I'm going to try it again on some other trees and just do a variety change on half the tree this year and see how it takes that.  Maybe remove the unwanted half if the new stuff takes off enough later in the year. 

If you guys have any picks of your grafts it would be interesting to see what you did and how big the tree was etc.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 10:59:44 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 12:55:57 AM »
Good timing on this post. I was just looking this up. May need to research other options. The lateral bark graft looks like it'll stress the tree less.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 01:36:47 AM »
I was trying to cut down my large cherimoya tree because it was too big and needed to be removed. I cut the trunk (2 ft diameter) with a chain saw at 1-1/2 Feet off the roots and it wouldn't die. In 6 months the tree grew out lots more new buds/shoots to about 8 ft tall again. So I then cut everything down again, and chain sawed it to 6" off the ground and dug around the roots a little and cut some big side roots. It finally dried out and died in 3 months after the last attempt.

I did cut back my mulberry trees (3-6" trunks) and then put some bark grafts and they took fine, I didn't like it because it bulges and does't look that good even after its healed. Better to just wait for some new shoots to grow and do a cleft graft on the new branches. On my large loquat and citrus trees, when I cut it way back (4-6" trunk), I just wait for some new shoots to grow and then do my new scion grafts on those. It looks better and seems to grow stronger than the bark graft.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »
I cut off a 3” branch on a cherimoya.
No sealant applied.
2 weeks later I peeled the bark back.
Cambium on the top 1” was brown.
I abandoned the idea of bark grafting on that branch.

I did many bark grafts on smaller branches.
Only gotten 1 good graft.
I no longer do bark graft on cherimoya.

A picture from a nursery.
Most of the grafts were like that.
The graft has sealant on top, which I never use.
Not sure if that is why I have had high failures.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 06:23:27 PM »
Brad, here's a bark graft that I did a few years back.  I have to agree with Kaz, that it's not a nice looking type of graft in comparison to a cleft graft.

CHN90

• USA, TX, Spring, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 10:47:14 PM »
Mine is an atemoya instead of cherimoya but I hope it’s close enough. The top one was grafted in January. The bottom one is a month old. On the bottom one I used the rootstock twice. First time the graft didn’t take so I cut off about an inch and grafted new scions on it.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 12:04:25 PM »

Here are my bark grafts. The tree is breaking dormancy right now and I see a little bit of bud swelling. We shall see. This tree had a massive wound that was more than 50% of the bark up top so I lopped it and added these scions. We shall see

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk