Author Topic: Costco Dekopon Sumo Citrus Marketing Fail  (Read 8669 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Costco Dekopon Sumo Citrus Marketing Fail
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2021, 07:02:41 PM »
At the supermarket I shop at they sell 4 or 5 cultivars of citrus.   A price is shown for all varieties except one. Sumo never have a price listed.  Must be due to the high price that they sell for.  If people seen the price they would not buy them.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2021, 08:22:35 PM »
At the supermarket I shop at they sell 4 or 5 cultivars of citrus.   A price is shown for all varieties except one. Sumo never have a price listed.  Must be due to the high price that they sell for.  If people seen the price they would not buy them.

Millet what variety of oranges or other citrus is most compatible to graft sumo onto?  Assuming I use a grafted tree from the nursery on C35 with some other variety grafted already on it and graft onto the grafted portion?  Use another mandarin or ?
Brad Spaugh

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »
 Spaugh, C35 rootstock has good compatibility with all oranges, grapefruit and lemons except Eureka.   Compatibility with mandarins/ satsumas is complex and not well understood.  Nearly all mandarins/satsumas perform well for at least 10 to 15 years, but many eventually develop bud union crease and decline.  This decline is the same with many of the common rootstocks.  (Taken from  the Citrus Production Manual.)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 06:22:26 PM »
my problem is I dont have rootstocks, I need to purchase some tree thats already grafted and graft onto some interstock. 

So which type of citrus would be best to graft sumo onto anyone?  Just get another mandarin tree?
Brad Spaugh

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2021, 06:55:32 PM »
There are a few different rootstocks available for mandarins. The most popular are C-35, Carrizo, and Flying Dragon. C-35 and Carrizo are the standard tree size with C-35 being slightly smaller of the two. Flying Dragon is a semi-dwarf rootstock.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2021, 11:54:05 PM »
Although not about compatibility, I saw this post from behl: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=42683.msg426955#msg426955

I only started a couple grafts last year, but the healthiest are currently on a Honey stump & Gold Nugget tree, in-ground.  I tried a couple on Cara Cara, but the in-ground ones didn't take and the potted ones are a bit sluggish so far.  Since the in-ground Cara didn't take even though it had calloused and was looking good, I had pruned it by half already, so at least i have a rootstock sucker now to try again later.  You could also skip the interstock with a low bark graft.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2021, 11:31:57 PM »
Although not about compatibility, I saw this post from behl: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=42683.msg426955#msg426955

I only started a couple grafts last year, but the healthiest are currently on a Honey stump & Gold Nugget tree, in-ground.  I tried a couple on Cara Cara, but the in-ground ones didn't take and the potted ones are a bit sluggish so far.  Since the in-ground Cara didn't take even though it had calloused and was looking good, I had pruned it by half already, so at least i have a rootstock sucker now to try again later.  You could also skip the interstock with a low bark graft.

thanks for your knowledge and the past posts.  it sounds like any mandarin will be ok.  ill try and find one of the ones mentioned like tango or gold nugget on c35. 

thanks!
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 01:33:05 AM »
Brad, don't use Tango it's not that vigorous or strong. Most of my Tango tree branches are skinny when compared to other mandarins I grow. But the Gold Nugget is a good one to use for interstock grafting. Gold Nugget grows fast (upward), strong branches and has many branches that are good sized, also gets a lot of fruit. I grafted my Sumo on sour orange, Gold Nugget, Kiyomi, lemon, Valentine pummelo, Cocktail grapefruit. Pretty much any mandarin,orange, grapefruit, pummelo interstock works fine. Just graft it on a variety that is as vigorous a grower as the Sumo.

nelsons04

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2023, 10:59:51 AM »
Thanks for sharing your fruit experience!

yadirmanns

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2023, 11:10:54 AM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 11:29:43 AM by JakeFruit »

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2023, 08:13:54 AM »
Oh wow, bots with ChatGPT will be a nightmare.

LeoHaney

• Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2023, 04:32:02 AM »
+

« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 07:50:37 AM by LeoHaney »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2023, 05:50:36 AM »
Oh wow, bots with ChatGPT will be a nightmare.

Yes, and with online home delivery services, they could even order samples of fruit for DNA or flavour profile chemical analysis.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2023, 09:38:19 AM »
I have been growing Shiranui/Dekopan/Sumo for a few years now and it is a fantastic tree.  Dense canopy, productive, and the fruit tastes better and is much larger than the Sumo fruits sold at the grocery store.  I regularly get fruits the size of large grapefruit.  It has a permanent place in-ground in my greenhouse

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2023, 11:04:04 AM »
I agree, it is productive and fruits are large. So what months does your sumo get ripe?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2023, 12:29:55 PM »
Mine has a bunch ripening right now, they are just starting to turn yellow/orange... which I think is way off season but I honestly haven't been keeping track. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2023, 12:56:03 PM »
 Right now is the perfect time to spray your tree with low biuret Urea which will increase fruit size.  Low biuret urea foliar spay is especially good for Dekopon so the fruit dosen't just develop the squash shape.

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »
I grafted shiranui onto a mexican sweet lime seedling. It grew gangbusters and set a ton of fruit on its second leaf. 3rd leaf same. The fruit flavor is not my favorite. Hopefully the flavor improves in the years to come.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2023, 01:49:15 PM »
Obviously taste is subjective, but mine made delicious fruit from its first set.  I wonder if the rootstock and/or conditions are influencing it for you, or you might just not like it :)

Chandler_Gardener

• Chandler,AZ 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2023, 05:49:38 PM »
I grafted shiranui onto a mexican sweet lime seedling. It grew gangbusters and set a ton of fruit on its second leaf. 3rd leaf same. The fruit flavor is not my favorite. Hopefully the flavor improves in the years to come.
I am curious if you have grafted anything else on this sweet lime and how it has turned out? I've grafted a bunch of stuff on it and I am having second thought. Sweet lime seem very vigorous and that's why I used it to graft.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2023, 08:57:25 PM »
I have the sumo grafted on my in ground Bears lime. Ponkan tree, and pomelo tree, and Gold Nugget tree. The ones grafted on the pomelo tree seems to taste the sweetest. My Bears lime tree is older (20yrs) and I have about 10 other varieties grafted on it. The other fruits tastes normal and not affected by the lime rootstock.

Chandler_Gardener

• Chandler,AZ 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2023, 09:44:21 AM »
I have the sumo grafted on my in ground Bears lime. Ponkan tree, and pomelo tree, and Gold Nugget tree. The ones grafted on the pomelo tree seems to taste the sweetest. My Bears lime tree is older (20yrs) and I have about 10 other varieties grafted on it. The other fruits tastes normal and not affected by the lime rootstock.

What the rootstock on those tree? Are they in fact bears/ponkan/pomelo rootstock? The sweet lime I have is from seed that has grown very well in 4 years (even flower this spring but didn't set fruit). I have about 10 grafts on it now with only clementine/calamasi with fruit. I'll find out if the clementine are any good once they ripe. They feel heavy for their size.