Author Topic: Microscope cleft grafting jaboticaba  (Read 843 times)

shilohtech

• USA, Hawaii/Oahu, Mililani, 12a
    • View Profile
    • Grow Tropical Fruits Youtube Page
Microscope cleft grafting jaboticaba
« on: May 01, 2021, 03:02:21 PM »
I made a long video micrografting jaboticaba under a microscope. Thought it would allow for a better close up view.

https://youtu.be/XDLGrnYAdIo

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope cleft grafting jaboticaba
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
Awesome video and collection.

A tip on holding the rootstock while cutting with razor blade: use a needle nose plier to gently hold rootstock and cut with razor blade perpendicular to plier grip, this avoids chances of cutting your thumb and the razor doesnt over split the rootstock cause it stops at the plier. 👍

-joe

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 11:19:03 AM »
Wow, nice close up grafting for sure you've got a cool collection going too! Thanks for sharing.

shilohtech

• USA, Hawaii/Oahu, Mililani, 12a
    • View Profile
    • Grow Tropical Fruits Youtube Page
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 07:12:05 PM »

A tip on holding the rootstock while cutting with razor blade: use a needle nose plier to gently hold rootstock and cut with razor blade perpendicular to plier grip, this avoids chances of cutting your thumb and the razor doesnt over split the rootstock cause it stops at the plier. 👍

-joe

Thanks for watching, That's a great suggestion. I kind of like the danger of cutting myself with razorblades and will probably keep doing it that way. I was a kid who liked to play with fire. My finger bone will probably stop the blade from over splitting the rootstock haha. Jokes aside, I appreciate any suggestions, and I should try it that way next time.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 10:28:47 AM »

-joe

I use razor blades like this too. The best technique I've found is to put my finger or thumb over top of the rootstock and then gently rock the blade down. The finger or thumb being on top of the root stock means I can only cut to the depth of the knife - and I hold a quarter or half inch below that so my other hand is safe.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 09:44:41 AM »
I've done the same but without a microscope..it worked sometimes but i have one white jabo which i can't get grafted on any other rootstock, not in 10 times trying. All the others went smooth but this one just won't do it, also not on another white jabo.

The best budwood is as thick as a pencil (6-7mm) but it sometimes also works with 2-3 mm sized budwood, just try it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk