Author Topic: ID help with an annonaceae species found in Costa Rica  (Read 1467 times)

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
ID help with an annonaceae species found in Costa Rica
« on: May 03, 2021, 07:19:43 PM »
I went to a river today with my wife and kids to swim and found this tree growing just off the path down to the river, maybe 20 feet above it. It's certainly an annonaceae species judging by the flowers and it looks exactly like a pawapw. Here are some pics...

aka_no_nui193

• US, zone 6b
    • View Profile
Re: ID help with an annonaceae species found in Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 07:32:25 PM »
The real question is, will you be around long enough for those fruit to ripen to get seeds lol. In seriousness tho, that’s really interesting. The closest genera I know to Asimina are Disepalum and Deeringothamnus, Disepalum look nothing like that, but Deeringothamnus looks similar to Asimina. Looks the most to me like some sort of tree Cananga based on the fruit shape, but the flowers don’t quite fit. I’m really interested to see what others come up with
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 07:34:28 PM by aka_no_nui193 »

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 07:35:57 PM »
The real question is, will you be around long enough for those fruit to ripen to get seeds lol. In seriousness tho, that’s really interesting. The closest genera I know to Asimina are Disepalum and Deeringothamnus, Disepalum look nothing like that, but Deeringothamnus looks similar to Asimina. Looks the most to me like some sort of tree Cananga, but the flowers don’t quite fit. I’m really interested to see what others come up with

I will be here yes! It's just a 3 minute drive and 15 minute walk from my house. I forgot to say, the biggest fruit I saw was longer than a sugar apple and maybe the same circumference. And I don't think they're near being ripe yet.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 07:46:25 PM »
Looks similar to uvaria chamae, but wrong continent.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 07:59:43 PM »
Looks similar to uvaria chamae, but wrong continent.

I just checked that out just in case it was planted there or a seed has escaped cultivation, the flower is different and if the pictures are true the fruits of the one I saw are at least twice the size now of the ripe ones from the pictures. I should've gotten a shot of the whole tree but it was pretty big.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 10:13:50 PM »

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 11:18:13 PM »
Looks similar to Sapranthus violaceus

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/291199-Sapranthus-violaceus

I think you're right, but this was removed from violaceus and given the name Sapranthus palanga because the flowers form on the stems and not new shoots. Here's the wikipedia page,and it says it occurs here in Costa Rica! Thank you!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapranthus_palanga

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 09:52:09 PM »
Now the new question is if anyone has tried this fruit before? I can't find any info on it except for one site saying that you don't eat the fruit and another hand written note sent along with seeds saying the fruit is good.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 08:58:38 PM »
Sapranthus has been mentioned a few times in botanical literature, usually from viewing dead specimens.  We will all be interested in hearing about a real live taste test!
Har

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 09:42:04 AM »
I'll try to keep an eye on it then and report back!

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 10:34:23 AM »
Now the new question is if anyone has tried this fruit before? I can't find any info on it except for one site saying that you don't eat the fruit and another hand written note sent along with seeds saying the fruit is good.

Josh,

Why not show a photo of it to some of your local tico neighbors and ask them if people eat this.  Then if you get an affirmative, ask if they know anyone local who has eaten it and what they said about it.

But with ticos' penchant for sweet things –lots sweeter thant we estadounidenses prefer– then if the fruit is sweet-tart (i.e., subacid) ticos may say that it's not really very good to eat when we would likely find it just fine.

BTW, doesn't anyone at CATIE know anything about this Annona?

Just a suggestion . . .

Paul M.
==

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »

Josh,

Why not show a photo of it to some of your local tico neighbors and ask them if people eat this.  Then if you get an affirmative, ask if they know anyone local who has eaten it and what they said about it.

But with ticos' penchant for sweet things –lots sweeter thant we estadounidenses prefer– then if the fruit is sweet-tart (i.e., subacid) ticos may say that it's not really very good to eat when we would likely find it just fine.

BTW, doesn't anyone at CATIE know anything about this Annona?

Just a suggestion . . .

Paul M.
==

Paul, I've asked around, no one has tried it and most people have no idea what it is. What's funny is it's on the trail down to this river where a lot of people go to swim.

About their penchant for sweets, I'll say that they also eat more fruit unripe and acidic here than I could've imagined. Green mango with salt and lime, green jocotes with salt, acidic oranges with salt...I would imagine if it was acidic they would also know and like it too.

Completely off topic, but are you on an orchid forum with that name too? I thought I had seen it years ago.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 12:45:16 AM »
I was  looking at this from a search
Anything come oif this

your post was last year around this time (May 3rd)

Did you ever even try a little taste ?

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 01:09:42 AM »
I was actually trying to learn more of another plant   (clade grouping or whatever),
but any better explanation of this CLADE Stuff  is appreciated

(see

Sapranthus palanga

The predominantly Asian tribe Miliuseae (Annonaceae) includes over 37 Neotropical species that are mainly distributed across Mesoamerica, from southern Mexico to northern Colombia. The tremendous ecological and morphological diversity of this clade, including ramiflory, cauliflory, flagelliflory, and clonality, suggests adaptive radiation. Despite the spectacular phenotypic divergence of this clade, little is known about its phylogenetic and evolutionary history. In this study we used a nuclear DNA marker and seven chloroplast markers, and maximum parsimony, maximum likelihood and Bayesian inference methods to reconstruct a comprehensive time-calibrated phylogeny of tribe Miliuseae, especially focusing on the Desmopsis-Stenanona clade. We also perform ancestral area reconstructions to infer the biogeographic history of this group. Finally, we use ecological niche modeling, lineage distribution models, and niche overlap tests to assess whether geographic isolation and ecological specialization influenced the diversification of lineages within this clade. We reconstructed a monophyletic Miliuseae that is divided into two strongly supported clades: (i) a Sapranthus-Tridimeris clade and (ii) a Desmopsis-Stenanona clade. The colonization of the Neotropics and subsequent diversification of Neotropical Miliuseae seems to have been associated with the expansion of the boreotropical forests during the late Eocene and their subsequent fragmentation and southern displacement. Further speciation within Neotropical Miliuseae out of the Maya block seems to have occurred during the last 15 million years. Lastly, the geographic structuring of major lineages of the Desmopsis-Stenanona clade seems to have followed a climatic gradient, supporting the hypothesis that morphological differentiation between closely related species resulted from both long-term isolation between geographic ranges and adaptation to environmental conditions.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 01:13:01 AM by Francis_Eric »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk