Author Topic: Seeds from grafted black sapote - Excalibur, Bernecker, Matt’s Giant  (Read 1653 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
If anyone would like to buy seeds from 3 grafted black sapote varieties let me know. I have Excalibur, Bernecker and Matt’s Giant seeds. The price is $1 per seed with a minimum order of 10 seeds and $5 shipping in the US. Thank you!

Pictures coming soon of the Bernecker and Matt’s Giant.

Excalibur black sapote

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
How big was the Matt's giant fruit?  I have only seen one picture of it. Good luck with the sales.
-Josh

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile

Here’s a size comparison. The Matt’s is the biggest one of these named varieties.

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
Can one make 10 with 3 seeds each of two varieties and balance 4 from other variety

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Matt's giant huh? Very interesting. 7 or 9 years ago I posted some pix of Mossman and Flying Saucer black sapotes and they ratchet the jumbo thing up to a place that is surprising. You cant use fruit that big.

Vernmented

• View Profile
Matt's giant huh? Very interesting. 7 or 9 years ago I posted some pix of Mossman and Flying Saucer black sapotes and they ratchet the jumbo thing up to a place that is surprising. You cant use fruit that big.

This is what I was thinking. I am going to dig up the picture of the Matt's I have saved from someone else. I have a Maher here right now that seems to be around the same size. I had heard stories of the fruit getting to be the size of dinner plate but the two pictures I have seen are not even close. My friends topwork and my Matt's is flowering now so hopefully I'll have fruit next year and maybe there are some real whoppers in the mix.

So many people talk down on this fruit but I love it. I think it has a good flavor and also comes into bearing when there aren't a whole lot of other fruits around.

It is a good size fruit but I remember the monsters that you posted in Australia.

Thanks for posting Julie! Did you notice any taste differences between the fruit?

Good price for seed and a pretty easy tree to grow. They seem to graft pretty easily in my experience. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. 
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile

Not my photo. Matt Snow of the Matt's Giant took it.
-Josh

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Can one make 10 with 3 seeds each of two varieties and balance 4 from other variety
Same here
Mike

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Hi everyone.  I'm very sorry, unfortunately I was a little premature in posting this as not all of the fruit had ripened yet.  I only have 7 seeds total all from Excalibur.  I apologize I wanted to get the seeds out to the new owner as soon as possible.  Right now I've received a lot of messages so I'm working through that list in order and would like to sell the 7 seeds for $7 plus $5 shipping.

For those who asked I don't mind combining different varieties to get to 10 seeds but at this point I don't have the seeds available.  I will try to get more fruit and if I have more seeds available I will contact the people who have PM'ed me.

In terms of taste Matt's Giant is the winner in taste and texture and very few/no seeds.  I noticed a subtle fruity aftertaste in Bernecker.  I would definitely recommend Matt's Giant as the best Black Sapote I've ever tasted.  I'm undecided if I want to add a tree to my yard but if I do it will be a Matt's Giant.  It is the closest to real chocolate pudding.  I think Black Sapote has a great texture and also it's flavor can be improved by using in cooking.  It also produces fruit during the long winter.  On the other hand it has a very mild flavor and I prefer bold flavors and my space is limited to 1/3 acre lot.