Author Topic: Mystery Vietnamese Cherimoya or Atemoya?  (Read 859 times)

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
Mystery Vietnamese Cherimoya or Atemoya?
« on: May 12, 2021, 02:42:35 PM »
I know this is a long shot, but can anyone identify this mystery Annona? This was bought from a Vietnamese grocery store last year here in Michigan. This is the dried peel and seed. When it was fresh it was modestly sized, they were each a little less than a pound, the outer skin was covered in brown fuzzy hair and ripened to a dark olive green brown color. The flesh was yellow when fresh and dried to this orange color. I planted the seeds last year and they looked like cherimoya seedlings, but they all died when we lost power last winter unfortunately. I am mad at myself for not posting it when I had it fresh, and taking a picture of it when it was fresh and when the plants were alive but this is what I have to work with now unfortunately. I got back into Annonaceae and am wanting to see if I can find out what variety of Cherimoya or Atemoya the fruits might have been so I can relocate the plant and grow it again.

Garden_Harley_FL

• Bradenton, Florida 9b
    • View Profile
    • Garden FL
Re: Mystery Vietnamese Cherimoya or Atemoya?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 08:55:30 PM »
That is Annona cherimola (Cherimoya).
Harley
Garden Instagram: http://instagram.com/garden_florida
Youtube Garden Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6i8EQzQEZ8twcQptkD360w

I heart Annonaceae

aka_no_nui193

• US, zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 09:00:59 PM »
Have you ever seen a fuzzy Cherimoya variety before tho? Idk where they get their fruit from but it almost looks like McPherson variety but I’ve never seen them fuzzy before.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 11:50:39 PM »
i have one variety that has fuzzy skin its called "vietnamese"

some people said its dr white but it looks different to me. 
Brad Spaugh

aka_no_nui193

• US, zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 12:30:30 AM »
Haha well that would be fitting then since I got it from a Vietnamese grocery store huh. I’m still so mad at myself for dropping the ball because it was the best cherimoya that I’ve had yet, none of the weird soapy aftertaste.