Author Topic: Grafting on Severinia buxifolia?  (Read 709 times)

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Grafting on Severinia buxifolia?
« on: July 12, 2021, 07:22:36 PM »
I've been reading my way through various academic articles on graft and sexual compatibility in Rutaceae, and keep finding off-handed references to Citrus being grafted onto Severinia buxifolia, but no real details on the results of that, other than some of the potential benefits (cold hardiness, decreased boron sensitivity, changes to salinity response, etc.)  (Gosh, there's some great papers out there, like the dissertation on Aegle marmelos sexual compatibility with Aurantioideae, with lots of big, satisfying tables.)

I'm wondering if anyone in the forum has actually played with this at all, and if so what the results were like.  As I understand it, there's specimens that lasted for decades, so it's not just a case of almost-compatible vasculature allowing a bud or scion to limp along, but actually stable and healthy grafts that are long-lasting.

The thing I'm most interested in is vigorousness, but the potential for better graft compatibility than Poncirus with a few outliers is appealing, too.  Has anyone tinkered?  Any observations?

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
Re: Grafting on Severinia buxifolia?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 05:43:43 AM »
I'm not surprised no-one has replied to this post because, unless you are a citrus research scientist, forum members don't have the capability of testing all the possible combinations of scions and rare rootstocks. Your 'big, satisfying tables' are the result of large-scale and long-term trials that most of us can't replicate.
I have a large collection of potted citrus and one potted Severinia buxifolia. It is about 6 feet tall and produces occassional small, black fruits. It isn't specially vigorous and I don't think it is frost hardy, so I've always kept it in a heated greenhouse in winter. I've never tried grafting to it. The only really odd graft I've attempted was a citrus on to a choisya. Why? - because choisya is a citrus relative and genuinely cold-hardy here in England. The bud stayed green for a year but never grew.
You mention incompatibility with Poncirus. I've never found any, at least in the short term. If you want a vigorous rootstock, I'd go for Rough Lemon or a citrumelo. Commercially, they may not be ideal for quality fruit production, but for the hobby grower I find they give quick results.

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 05:36:52 PM »
Hi citrange, thanks for the reply :)  As someone with some amount of history in research, I'd say that actually the thing about published research is that people have bothered to do the parts they didn't find interesting, as well as what they did find interesting.  The actual work isn't always as large-scale or long-term as you might think.  There's people publishing research based on 12 month field trials with a handful of specimens, but they have data worth publishing because they're controlling for some factors of interest, and thoroughly documenting others.

(Moreover, you'd be surprised how many oft-repeated citrus facts come from extremely small-scale tests, or which are repeatedly quoted from very old sources, but which have no data associated with them.)

The forum (especially the cold hardy forum!) is really wonderful for how many people in it are doing some amount of screwing around, whether they get more serious and scaled-up or not.  Every person who grows a zygotic seedling on a lark has the potential to win the probability game and end up with something really interesting.  People whose livelihood depends on doing something really interesting have to not just start the seeds that they would like to plant on a lark, but enough seeds of relevant varieties to be confident they can win the probability game enough times for it to count.  There's a lot of value in collecting the outcomes of N=1 experiments out in the world :)

Choisya is an interesting choice!  Did you know Bitters also experimented with grafting Citrus onto New World species of Toddalioideae, as well?  He managed to keep a Citrus bud alive for a year on Casimiroa edulis — white sapote!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:51:32 PM by caladri »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 08:51:25 PM »
Caladri  great post - thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk