Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620976 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »
Notice the name is International Tropical Fruit Growers. Dear moderatiors, please do whatever you can to promote this as an international site and attract international members. I love Florida but don't want this group to become totally Floridacentric.

I would love to get a more international membership in the forum but there is not much we can really do about that. It's really up to members to spread to word or hope that people around the world find our forum through Google. It's important to to remember that the forum is only 3 1/2 months old and we already have 225 members. I think if we keep up the quality of the content the international membership will grow. So, to all of the international members, please spread the word about the forum and encourage your friends to join and contribute!

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »
I'm not international but have spread the word about the forum to fellow enthusiasts  ;)

-Luke

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
What about making a You tube vid...to promote this forum???? Blogs???

It's the fastest way to catch them INTERNATIONAL member!!!

Any thoughts...fellow member's?

Pitbull - International Love ft. Chris Brown (Official Video)

While i'm at it...here's my fav. Reggae track!

John Holt - Police In Helicopter
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:54:46 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Primetime11

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Greetings,
My name is Primo. I live in Brevard County, Fl. Been here since 1986. Electronics Engineer by trade, tropical tree plantation manager most of the time..LOL. I'm originally from the Philippines so will I be considered international member too? ..he he. I love tropical fruits. I only have a small lot, occupied mostly by my house. But it doesn't stop me from growing tropical fruit trees. I have 5-mangoes (ha ha), lots of bananas, carambola, avocado, jackfruits, tamarind, papayas and lychees.
This  is a great resource site.
See you around folks.

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »
Welcome Primo! Sounds like you fit an entire mini orchard in your small plot. Would love to see photos when you have some time

-Luke

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
Hi Primo,

Welcome to the forum ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 03, 2012, 07:34:33 PM »
Primo;
 Welcome Brevard county neighbor, I am in Palm Bay.

DM

Primetime11

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »
Thank you Luke. Yes, one of this days I'll post some pictures.

Primetime11

Primetime11

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
Thank you jackfruitwhisperer, now i know who to call when my jackfruit is misbehaving.

Primetime11

Primetime11

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2012, 11:00:24 AM »
Thank you dangermouse my neighbor. I'm just here in West Melbourne.

Primetime11

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2012, 05:58:19 PM »
Welcome Prime to the forum. Looking forward to having future discussions with you and other new members.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 05, 2012, 06:40:50 AM »
Of you Brevard area residents/members, any of you members of the Brevard RFC ?  Any of you  making the bus trip this month to Excalibur ?
- Rob

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
Of you Brevard area residents/members, any of you members of the Brevard RFC ?  Any of you  making the bus trip this month to Excalibur ?
I am a member of the Brevard Tropical Fruit Club (formerly Brevard Rare Fruit Council), but am not able to make that trip.
DM 

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »
I am a member of the Brevard Tropical Fruit Club (formerly Brevard Rare Fruit Council), but am not able to make that trip.
DM 

Why'd they change the name?

bocah

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2012, 04:19:14 AM »
introducing my self ...im from indonesia..

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:07:02 AM by bocah »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »
A warm welcome to both Primo and Bocah.

Primo, as a native  Filipino, I'm sure you can add a considerable international flavor to our mix of members.  Did you grow fruits in the Philippines and if so which ones?  Where in the Philippines are you originally from?

Bocah....very interesting to see the pictures you posted.....all in pots/grow bags.  Are these for sale that way or do you grow this way for some reason. My vision of Indonesia would have everything in the ground.  And what is that mango you posted a picture of?

Thanks......Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Primetime11

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »
Thank you nullzero and hmhausman for the welcome.

Harry, i was originally from the historic Bataan province. I grew up in a big yard with lots of tropical fruits. This is our ancestral home and I don't remember planting additional trees except for some more sapodillas and coconuts. We have Breadfruit, Caimito, Carambola, Cacao, Avocado, Santol, Bilimbi, Guava, Jakfruit, Wax Jumbu, Mabolo, Mango, lots of Sapodilla, Sugar Apple and Coconuts. Most of the trees were old and big with trunk diameter of 2-5ft. I enjoyed climbing the tallest trees in our yard reaching to almost a hundred ft. I'm pretty sure there are some more trees I failed to mention but thank you for asking.

Primo

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2012, 05:20:31 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Thank you jackfruitwhisperer, now i know who to call when my jackfruit is misbehaving.

Primetime11
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »
Hi Bocah,

Welcome to the Forum ;) Awesome...to have more Southeast Asians On the Forum!!! :)
Time is like a river.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2012, 06:09:05 PM »
Hi Bocah. Is that the Java Blue? I picked one up a few years ago and gave it to my father. He hasnt looked after it well though and its not fruited as yet. I'll have to go over and baby it to see if I can coax it into producing some nice Indonesian mangoes in the coming season.  ;D

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »
great looking mango trees Bocah ,, and the grow bags are very nice ,, hope to hear about the varieties you are growing ,,

Amr

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2012, 08:06:29 AM »
Hey People, I found this site through googlin'.  Never liked the gardenweb site as it was too cluttered and slow so never joined, but always found it through googlin'.

I'm Dave (duh) and live in Brevard County, Florida as well. 

I've been a member of the Brevard Rare Fruit Council, now Brevard Tropical Fruit Club since 1995.  Also, for websites this one reminds me of the very first tropical fruit forum back in the 90s that was ran by Bruce Livingston or handle Santol.  Anyone remember that one?  It has since closed down (like a decade ago).  I also run a gardening forum at 2ndlight.com along with the website in general. My day job is a Computer Engineer and am a  keyboard jockey in a tiny cubicle all day long.  (it pays the bills and keeps me off the streets). 

I'm also current President of the Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society.   I grow a lot of different types of fruits and like to collect palms, croton, cordyline, bromeliads, and any other plants.

For fruits, I have numerous mango, lychee, jaboticaba, citrus, longan, etc etc etc.    My main problem is that all my trees have now crowded each other out and shading each other so my fruit production has gone down.  But, as a home hobbyist I get just enough fruit to keep me going! 

I also like gardening photography and since the digital age probably have taking over 100,000 photos.  Give or take 10,000 or so.  LOL. 

Nice forum and I hope I have the time to contribute and/or just lurk around. 

Fiddlewood

• Zone 10a - Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Hi my name is Jack. I have been reading this forum and gardenweb before it for a year or so(not very good with time). Finally decided to join. I am retired and split my time between babysitting my grandchildren and taking care of my fruit trees and plants and a tiny garden. Life is good. I am growing :

Mango: Edward, Carrie, Graham, Ice Cream, Keitt, Young, Bombay, Nam Doc Mai(don't know if it is #4), Alphonso, Glenn, Maha Chanok, Dot, Duncan, Choc Anon. Only Edward, Carrie and Graham are old
             enough to be producing.

Avacado: Lula, Mexicola, Wurtz only Lula producing.

Lychee: Brewster, Mauritius, Sweet Cliff, Emporer only Emperor 6 fruit last year none this year

Grapes: Blue concord wine grapes. Just got cuttings in January from a friend. Would like to get Caloosa as natives are another interest of mine. Hence the name Fiddlewood.

Also grow unknown  varieties of pineapple, Papaya and mulberry (everbearing, red and giant)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2012, 08:35:52 AM »
Howdy Fiddlewood and Central Floridave, I have been in for aimost 2 weeks now.CF my brother around the corner from me also collects rare palms,cycads and cordylines.It seems to be a very welcoming forum with firepower.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2012, 08:48:49 AM »

Hi Central Floridave And Fiddlewood :).,

We are happy to have y'all aboard! Hope you guy's enjoy it.... ;D ;D ;D

Best Regards,
Steven Silva aka Jackfruitwhisperer69
Time is like a river.