Author Topic: Recommendations on a mandarin tree  (Read 2655 times)

Lemon Bob

• USA, Kansas 6b
    • View Profile
Recommendations on a mandarin tree
« on: March 09, 2021, 03:20:59 PM »
I will preface this post with the fact that I am a self-professed green thumb, but a relative novice to citrus. I got an improved Meyer lemon tree last year, grown in a container inside under a grow light, and really enjoy it so far. It has bloomed twice, pinched off the fruit to let it better establish. The older leaves are yellowing and dropping, but there are signs of new bud growth so figured this was just in preparation for spring growth.

I am now looking at getting a mandarin to accompany my lemon tree. However, given the wide temperature variations, and the fairly strong and frequent winds on the plains where I live, the plant would ideally be a primary indoor container-grown plant. There may be a few weeks outside in the summer months, but with winds routinely in the 15-20 mph range frequently, and lack of natural shelter in my backyard, I am nervous about keeping the plants outside for too long.

I have heard and read good things about Shasta gold, but didn’t know how well that would do as a primary indoor plant under a grow light? Also, with it being primarily indoors, is rootstock as important, or just monitoring soil moisture? I have the lemon tree in the 5-1-1, and after some learning curve about the drop in moisture needs over the winter, it seems to be doing well.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations on a mandarin tree
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 03:58:24 PM »
Right now Shasta Gold is my favorite mandarin.   I don't think the growing requirements vary significantly between cultivars so you might as well pick the type you like. 

I have many trees in containers but haven't tried using grow lights.  Others on this forum seem to have success with grow lights.  I greenhouse my trees in winter and bring them outside in warmer months

I doubt the rootstock will make a big difference in your results with an indoor container tree.  The care you take of it will be the primary factor.

I basically clamp my container trees to each other and my deck so they dont blow over in the wind.  The wind itself hasnt really harmed them, just rollovers
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:02:55 PM by brian »

Lemon Bob

• USA, Kansas 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 01:25:45 PM »
Thanks Brian! And nice to hear from someone growing citrus in zone 6 also! I am probably going to look at picking up a Shasta gold plant when they start shipping in the latter spring. I may venture out and try keeping my lemon tree outside a little more this summer if possible too, as I am sure it would appreciate the extra heat and sunshine, the wind has just made me nervous with such a young tree!

Ideally I would build my dream greenhouse and keep all of my citrus trees and orchids in there, but for now the hoa forbids the extra outbuildings, so will have to wait awhile...

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 01:39:32 PM »
When you can, move and build a greenhouse :)

You won't regret it.  No-HOA and good siting was a primary factor in house hunting for my wife and I.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 08:23:12 AM »

I have many trees in containers but haven't tried using grow lights.  Others on this forum seem to have success with grow lights.  I greenhouse my trees in winter and bring them outside in warmer months

I doubt the rootstock will make a big difference in your results with an indoor container tree.  The care you take of it will be the primary factor.

Mandarins under grow light don't do well. They need 2-3 months of cold and rest.

Rootstock makes a difference. PT will be a very slow grower and expect a good crop 5 years after grafting in containers.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 03:56:55 PM »
A lot of this depends on personal taste preferences.

I think you really need to taste a wide selection of different mandarin varieties, and give your opinions on them, before someone else can really help you decide which variety you will like.

Do you like the sweeter varieties, or the more sour and aromatic ones?

There are already a huge number of threads on different mandarin varieties, and the "best" mandarin varieties, in this Citrus General Discussion subforum, so it might be best for you to go try to find those.

Lemon Bob

• USA, Kansas 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 07:32:42 AM »
Thanks for the information! I had also heard that orange varieties really needed a colder period to ripen and sweeten up, didn’t know if that also applied to mandarins or not in others’ experience. Has anyone successfully grown a mandarin tree indoors year round?

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 10:56:14 AM »
NO!  I hear the longest living citrus tree kept indoors only lived 362.571 days.  They really do better outside.

Lemon Bob

• USA, Kansas 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 04:06:13 PM »
Lol! Well I may get a little more adventurous this summer and see how much I can get them outside when not so windy. Thanks for all the input!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 06:26:42 PM »
Wind is what makes the tree's trunk and branches strong.  It is the flexing back and forth in resistance to the wind that accomplishes this.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:56:41 PM by Millet »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 10:07:31 AM »
Not trying to hijack but what are y’all’s thoughts on Shiranui, is it worth the 40 bucks for a sapling? I like tart, and don’t mind sweet/tart. Minneola for example is one of my favorites (ovb not a mandarin)

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 12:00:59 PM »
I like shiranui, one of my favorites of the citrus I've grown myself.  And minneola is one of my favorite citrus taste wise, but I have been dissapointed that the flesh is so soft and mushy from the ones I've grown so far

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 02:28:52 PM »
Does it have any tart or complex flavor, or just sweet?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 08:53:23 PM »
Shiranui is good, has both sweet/tart but flesh is firm. Better tasting to me than Minneola. Yes its worth the $40 bucks, it produces lots of fruits on the branches. I had to put a stake/post under the grafted branch because it had 14 fruits hanging and started to crack the 1" diameter branch.

It's one of my top 3 mandarins I have tasted so far.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:32:29 AM by sc4001992 »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 11:57:47 PM »
Kicking myself for not snatching it while I had the chance. I’ll have to check out the other big box stores tomorrow..

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 05:15:03 PM »
How tall will a Minneola or Shiranui tree get?  Have a power line about 10' off the ground I need to plant under. 
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 05:56:45 PM »
sc4001992,
The Sumo fruits look beautiful.
What are those white spots on the leaves? Are they from the insecticides spayed on?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 06:01:33 PM »
Yorgos, the Shiranui tree would be OK, but the Minneola tree grows much taller that 10-feet.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 06:26:19 PM »
sc4001992,
The Sumo fruits look beautiful.
What are those white spots on the leaves? Are they from the insecticides spayed on?
Demodex mites. Gotta hit em with some neem

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 07:30:56 PM »
Yes, I think it was the insecticide soap spray I used. It works really well for the white flies.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 07:38:09 PM »
sc4001992,

Great. I just purchased it. 

One more question: For insecticidal soap vs minimal oil, what are the advantage and disadvantage?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 07:43:24 PM »
I couldn't answer that, maybe Millet can give you some details. I rarely use any sprays, this one is the only thing I have started to use once in a while.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:35:51 AM by sc4001992 »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 07:52:31 PM »
I think they are pretty much equal effectiveness.  I usually use soap, but I've used hort oil and it works the same.  Both smothering agents.  Seems possible oil might stick around longer but I dunno.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 11:51:02 AM »
Yorgos, the Shiranui tree would be OK, but the Minneola tree grows much taller that 10-feet.
Thanks Millet.  Now to find one...
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 04:39:16 PM »
Thanks both.   Fighting with the pests is one of the keys for growing citrus.