Author Topic: Land size  (Read 4223 times)

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
Land size
« on: August 24, 2020, 11:54:51 PM »
See lots of posts here with people growing all kinds of things, did a search on this topic and nothing came up.  Being new at this Im curious as to what land size you all have and the number of trees you have on it etc.  By the looks of it some people on here have some awsome properties.

My block is 2.5 acres, however not all of it is useable due to house and shed etc which will be going on.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Land size
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 01:17:53 AM »
I have .2 acres. Need more.
-Kris

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 05:32:48 AM »
I've got about 0.7acres and my land is fast becoming chockablock with trees and shrubs and vines.

I've got just over 20 mango trees, a couple canistel, a guava or two, newly planted jackfruit seedlings, suriname cherries, sapodilla seedlings, a bunch of pigeon peas growing like weeds, papayas, coffee, and a whole lot of stuff I'm forgetting.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:17:04 PM by fliptop »

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 06:35:15 AM »
We acquired 6.2 acres last year and now have over 200 tropical trees on the 3 cleared acres.  It’s a lot of work.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 06:50:02 AM »
We have 3/4 of an acre for the garden and these are the trees. Mangoes are mostly 2- 3 yrs old and still 5-6 ft tall, others are still small in size and many mangoes and some annonas have two varieties in one. So only time will tell if they will look overpopulated and shade each other, but plan is to keep some bushy and some use as a canopy shade tree. Very few are still in pots and may not ever find a place in ground.

Annonas:
Atemoyas: Arka Sahan, Dream, Geffner, Lisa, Pink Mammoth, PPC, Priestley, Tropic Sun.
Illama: Guellermo pink
Saramoya
Soursop: Bali, Costa Rica, ‘Miami’ grafted, Yucatan.
Sugar Apple: Big Red, Kampong Mauve, Na Dai, Thai Lessard, Vietnamese Na dai

Avocado:
Barbara, Day, Lula, Maria Black, Nishikawa, Oro Negro, Super Hass, Seedling-Oro Negro   

Banana:
Blue Java, Dwarf Cavendish, Dwarf Orinico, Dwarf Nam Wah, Kerala King, Mysore, Sweet Heart

Carambola:
Kari, Sri Kembengan
Dragon fruit: 4-5 red varieties and 1 yellow variety.

Guava:
Barbie Pink, Lemon cattley, Lucknow white, Ruby Supreme, Strawberry guava, Thai white crunchy, Thai seedless, Tikal,

Jackfruit:
Amber seedling, Bangkok Lemon seedling, Black gold, Mai-3 grafted, Red morning(grafted).

Lychee: Brewster, Sweet heart
Longan: Biew Kiew, Kohala, Sri Champoo

Loquat:
Big Jim, Champagne, Peluche, Seedling Tree, Vista White

Mango:
Alampur Baneshan, Ambika, Amrapali, Angie, Arka Neelkiran, CAC, Carla, Carrie, Coconut cream, Cotton Candy, Creme Brulee, Dot, Dusheri, Dwarf Hawaiian, Edward, Fairchild, Fruit Punch, Fruit Cocktail, Glenn, Guava, Honey Kiss, Jehangir, Julie, Juliette, Karen Michelle, Langra Banarasi, Lemon Meringue, Lemon Zest, Lil Gem , M-4, Mahachanok, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai, Neelam, Orange Essence, Orange Sherbet, O-15, Peach Cobbler, P-22, Phoenix, Pickering, Pina Colada, Pineapple, Pleasure, Seacrest/Triple sec, Son Pari, Sugar Loaf, Super Glenn, Super Julie, Sweet Tart, Ugly Betty, Val-Carrie, Venus, White Pirie

Mulberry:
Dwarf Everbearing, Pakistani Black, Thai dwarf everbearing, White Mulberry   

Passion fruit: Panama red, Purple possum, Yellow variety - sunset?

Sapotes:
Black sapote – grafted Rieneke variety , White sapote- Sue Belle
Mamey sapote – seedling, Sapodilla -  Butterscotch variety
Abiu – Zill’s seedling.
Starfruit/Caimito -  Green - Jaco Beach seedling.

Plinias/Eugenias/Myrciarias:
Jaboticaba – Coronate ‘Restinga’, Esalq, Escarlate, Grimal, Red Hybrid, Sabara, Spiritosantensis, White.
Rainforest plum
Pitomba
Zill black surinam cherry

Others
Manilla tamarind, Aegle marmelos(Bael fruit), Emblica officianilis(Bitter Amla), Phyllanthus acidus(Sour Amla), Jamun(Syzigium cumini), Cacao yellow.

Plus we have 7-8 raised beds 4 x 8 for annual veggies, malangas, gingers. My wife has her own section for shade loving anthuriums and ornamental tropicals.

You can surely do it densely if the soil is rich and prune trees to let them all have enough sun light hours/day but when i think back and if i could turn back time i would first make a design on paper and then work on soil health before putting any plant in. I had to un-dig and move many plants around the frist year of planting, now they are kind of clumped according to their needs -water and nitrogen, , plus some help each other fight diseases.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 08:22:58 AM »
House is about 4 acres and the farm is 13 acres of course the farm is temperate fruits :P

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »
At my old house I have a side yard around 1/4 acre rectangle that has around 25 in-ground dwarf temperate trees, about 12ft spacing between them.  Very workable. 

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 10:53:01 AM »
See lots of posts here with people growing all kinds of things, did a search on this topic and nothing came up.  Being new at this Im curious as to what land size you all have and the number of trees you have on it etc.  By the looks of it some people on here have some awsome properties.

My block is 2.5 acres, however not all of it is useable due to house and shed etc which will be going on.

Like you, Mark Valencia of the Self Sufficient Me YouTube channel lives in Queensland (though I believe in South Queensland). His property is bigger than yours, but because some of it is swampy and unusable for growing fruits and vegetables, I think he only uses a couple of acres for food production. He does not devote all of that area to fruit tree production but still has dozens of trees.

2 1/2 acres is a good sized plot. You can fit many productive fruit trees on a property of that size with some planning. Study and draw a layout of the property, including where the house and other ancillary buildings will go, paying attention to how much of the yard they will shade out and when. Make a list of the plants you want with their growing characteristics: sun requirements, size, etc. Plot out where on your property each plant will go, thinking of it like a puzzle to be put together based on which trees fit next one another. It might seem a little tedious, but it will be much less work, money, and aggravation than planting a bunch of trees, seeing some of them struggle, wishing you had planted them differently, and replacing them with more or different trees.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 11:03:34 AM »
I had a 7500 sf lot with house, circular driveway, and concrete patio pad, and I easily grew 21 fruit trees without overcrowding.  My wife called it a "jungle," but I saw it as more of a fruit "park."  I could have kept a few patches of sod, but I allowed the grass to die, due to not maintaining a functioning sprinkler system.  Alternately, I felt there was room for vegetables and herbs in grow-boxes and maybe a few chickens.  We have members with in-ground fruit trees on smaller lots than mine.  So size doesn't matter, guys, but fertility does.  Make use of what you got!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:23:10 AM by johnb51 »
John

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 04:43:53 PM »
You have heaps of room. You can fit a lot in a small space. I have a bit over half an acre and it keeps me plenty busy. I would love 40 acres but that is for other stuff, the veggie garden and orchard wouldn’t be too much larger.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 06:09:17 PM »
The property I'm on is 1.9 acres, and fruit probably occupy .25 acres of it. I think if I had my way, I would need about 1 acre for the type of orchard I want. This wouldn't include the greenhouse that I think would want to be about 100' long, and 50' wide.

I'm starting to get a feel for what I like having around and what fruit is really worth it, or not. A lot of fruit is awesome, but far too much work in the climate I'm in (9b) which limits how hard I would go. Now, if I were in 10a or 11a, things would be different and I'd want a LOT more room.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 06:14:03 PM »
My experience has been that typical temperate fruit (peaches/plums/cherries/apple) are more work than the exotics, because there a million pests that attack them.  Deer, squirrels, bugs, etc. almost completely ignore my subtropical and tropical trees.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 06:23:12 PM »
Lots of responses and different size blocks good to see.  Yeh as a couple of guys have said im trying to plant out what goes together in terms of sun/water requriements etc to save headaches in the future.  However to further complicate things my block has a creek along one of the boundaries (the longest boundary) which will flood each year for short periods in the wet season.  So i have to plan around that too.  I will be putting the more flood tolerant trees, (mangosteens, mangos, lychees, rambutans, jabotica) etc down in the flood plain.  Dragon fruit, paypaya, avacado and my cirtrus going up on the higher ground.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 06:32:53 PM »
My experience has been that typical temperate fruit (peaches/plums/cherries/apple) are more work than the exotics, because there a million pests that attack them.  Deer, squirrels, bugs, etc. almost completely ignore my subtropical and tropical trees.
So true. I have given up on peaches because of the squirrels.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 07:23:59 PM »
Brevard County, Fl.
1/2 acre with 5 mangoes, 2 avocados, several citrus (which I'm yanking out) Fedricks and Panama Red passion fruit and a star fruit. I have tons more room to keep planting lol

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 10:37:42 PM »
.37 acre corner lot in Cape Coral. Will be close to 30 total fruit trees once fully planted. Running out of room...

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 11:12:23 PM »
.37 acre corner lot in Cape Coral. Will be close to 30 total fruit trees once fully planted. Running out of room...

Wow that seems to be a lot of trees mate?? What sorta trees you got planted there?

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 12:25:28 AM »
I use an acre for appox 150 mangoes 30 avocados 15 lychees and 15 atemoyas....all are 6 meters apart so that I can drive the ute through the trees..... qld dpi in mareeba are doing trails on mango trees at only 2.5 meters apart with success.....

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 12:55:08 AM »
I use an acre for appox 150 mangoes 30 avocados 15 lychees and 15 atemoyas....all are 6 meters apart so that I can drive the ute through the trees..... qld dpi in mareeba are doing trails on mango trees at only 2.5 meters apart with success.....

Wholy heck that is a lot of trees!!!! You prune them all to keep them small?

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2020, 12:02:45 AM »

Do you mean 6ft apart?  i have seen espalier mango trees kept this way and productive as well.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2020, 12:29:17 AM »
Just got about 13 acres with 50 or so super sad avocados.  Going to be pimping it out with the thousands of rare subtropicals I've been accumulating.  Can't wait!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »
Just got about 13 acres with 50 or so super sad avocados.  Going to be pimping it out with the thousands of rare subtropicals I've been accumulating.  Can't wait!
13 acres near Santa Cruz?  You got room for me to build my cabin  I can be your retired guy/caretaker.  But those CA fires scare the hell out of me!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 11:03:06 AM by johnb51 »
John

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 04:30:42 PM »
I've got about 0.7acres and my land is fast becoming chockablock with trees and shrubs and vines.

I've got just over 20 mango trees, a couple canistel, a guava or two, newly planted jackfruit seedlings, suriname cherries, sapodilla seedlings, a bunch of pigeon peas growing like weeds, papayas, coffee, and a whole lot of stuff I'm forgetting.
you ever sell your mango scions?  Now I have just started to germinate mango seeds.  Hopefully I can get them to survive winter season here then I can buy some scions to graft on to them seedlings.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2020, 04:48:09 PM »
I do not, Lovetoplant. But you can check the Buy/Sell/Trade section for scion sellers (Tropical Acres Farm/Squam256 comes to mind). Good luck!

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2020, 07:28:19 PM »

Do you mean 6ft apart?  i have seen espalier mango trees kept this way and productive as well.
Would love to see pictures of espalier mango trees.  I presently espalier Cherimoya, plum, and peach trees due to running out of grow space