Author Topic: Melon/bubble gum flavored Jackfruit variety recommendations  (Read 873 times)

Levar

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
Hey all,

I'm looking for a variety of jackfruit with an intense, candy-sweet, melon or tropical flavor.

So far, I've had:

• Black Gold: Very soft and fibrous. Pretty sweet but has a kind of farty aftertaste. Not my favorite.
  • Golden Nugget: Pretty good but didn't blow me away.
  • Xain (from Excalibur nursery): Really intense bubblegum flavor followed by a pure durian aftertaste. Great stuff but I'm not the biggest fan of durian.

• Mai 1, Mai 3: Maybe I've never had a good one but I'm just not a really big fan. They haven't been strong enough in flavor for me. The texture is wonderful though.
  • Bangkok lemon: Really nice but I'm looking for more melon/tropical/bubble gum.
  • Crunchy lemon: Same as Bangkok lemon.

Color doesn't matter at all to me. For texture, anything from medium to firm is great. But I'll take exceptional flavor over exceptional texture.

Also, maybe less important here, but I'm looking for sweet-smelling varieties. Earlier today, I found an orange-fleshed jackfruit in Whole Foods that was imported from Jamaica - the flavor was more or less exactly like the aroma: sweet, fruity, and tropical. No sulfuric odors at all. 

Any help is appreciated :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:46:53 PM by Levar »

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Melon/bubble gum flavored Jackfruit variety recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 09:54:29 PM »
Hey all,

I'm looking for a variety of jackfruit with an intense, candy-sweet, melon or tropical flavor.

So far, I've had:

• Black Gold: Very soft and fibrous. Pretty sweet but has a kind of farty aftertaste. Not my favorite.
  • Golden Nugget: Pretty good but didn't blow me away.
  • Xain (from Excalibur nursery): Really intense bubblegum flavor followed by a pure durian aftertaste. Great stuff but I'm not the biggest fan of durian.

• Mai 1, Mai 3: Maybe I've never had a good one but I'm just not a really big fan. They haven't been strong enough in flavor for me. The texture is wonderful though.
  • Bangkok lemon: Really nice but I'm looking for more melon/tropical/bubble gum.
  • Crunchy lemon: Same as Bangkok lemon.

Color doesn't matter at all to me. For texture, anything from medium to firm is great. But I'll take exceptional flavor over exceptional texture.

Also, maybe less important here, but I'm looking for sweet-smelling varieties. Earlier today, I found an orange-fleshed jackfruit in Whole Foods that was imported from Jamaica - the flavor was more or less exactly like the aroma: sweet, fruity, and tropical. No sulfuric odors at all. 

Any help is appreciated :)

I asked about Jackfruits that didn’t have the stink and the nursery dude, although pretty helpful otherwise, responded to me like I was talking about the wrong fruit, lol... No, wasn’t talking about Durian, I was talking about the sulfur smell/taste you mentioned.  If you’re not accustomed to the fruit, it can give the experience of eating it in a port-o-let should you have a really ripe/rank one.

Levar

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Melon/bubble gum flavored Jackfruit variety recommendations
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 10:07:26 PM »
Right, I think a little stinkiness is expected, but some are just out of line. I know decent, sweet smelling jackfruits exist... I'm eating one right now lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk