Author Topic: Lancetilla owners in here!!!  (Read 2646 times)

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Lancetilla owners in here!!!
« on: July 08, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »
Hey guys i just purchased my lancetilla tree form Cookie Monstor and it came with two monster fruit, thanks cookie monster. Anyways, I want to know what do you all do to save your branches when you have one of these huge mango's hanging. Unfortunately for me, both the mango branches holding my two fruit are giving away, actually one already broke, the other one is breaking...

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Lancetilla owners in here!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
Coincidence, today I was looking at my Lancetilla, one branch has 2 fruit and is bending way down,  I was thinking of doing what many mango growers on the plantations do, just prop up the branches with a stick or a dried branch.   my container tree has 3 fruits on it.  they seem to be about 1/2 way through development.  so only time will tell if they will stay on.

Good luck.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 05:58:46 PM »
Congrats ! cant wait for my Lanc to bloom !
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:34:52 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:25:49 PM »
You could make an altar, that so that the fruit can rest on it and take the weight off the branch.

And, you could check on it everyday, turning the fruit to rest on the orther side, so it doesn't get bed sores.

Or, just let nature take its course. If one branch holding the fruit broke off, and the other is on its way, then we know where this is going.

The professional thing to do is to remove any remaining fruit, plant the tree and let it build a strong root system.

In this way you'll get to your goal the quickest. Your goal is to have a strong, healthy, established and productive tree.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:30:17 PM »
Since my trees are pretty short some of the fruits hang very low to the ground...I usually tie them up with rope/string and tie it to a stronger branch or use those PVC/Conduit to hold it up  ;)

Like this...
Taken summer 2012 (Keitt)

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 02:24:44 PM »
cool ideas, i thought of just tying it to other branches. I might try that next year.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »
puglvr1,

Where did you get those bags you put around the fruit?

Since my trees are pretty short some of the fruits hang very low to the ground...I usually tie them up with rope/string and tie it to a stronger branch or use those PVC/Conduit to hold it up  ;)

Like this...

George

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »

Like this...

You are a genius.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »
Lol...thanks!!  :)

But...I'm sorry to same the Critters are the genius ones!! the only only thing that the mesh bags worked on 100% are the birds...the rest of Critters have "chewed" through some of them...although I must say they don't all do it...they save a few for me so I guess for that it kinda works  ;) ' A few is better than none!

Don, I made those bags...I bought a roll of aluminum window screening at the Big box stores and cut them in various sizes...sewed the sides and used yarn to tie them close...like this!

Here's one of them they chewed right through the bag!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk