Author Topic: Locations near I75?  (Read 5382 times)

Maltrease

• SW Ohio
    • View Profile
    • EvilFree.com
Locations near I75?
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
We'll be heading to Florida for Christmas this weekend.  Dayton, OH down I75 to Sarasota, Florida.  Any cool nurseries or otherwise interesting places we should stop at along the way?

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
Re: Locations near I75?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:23:34 AM »
There is a great place in Sarasota, but its by appointment only. They are on here, maybe they will see it.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:28:38 PM »
Just Fruits is in crawfordville.  Looks a little out of your way though  :-\
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Maltrease

• SW Ohio
    • View Profile
    • EvilFree.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »
Thanks!

I was looking at Just Fruits last week.  That is to far out of the way for this trip but definitely something I'll consider for a future visit.  We have some friends in the panhandle so could probably connect it with a visit to them.

I am planning to visit Echo -http://echonet.org/ and come home with a Moringa tree.  Something in Sarasota would be great and there is lots of other stuff in the family can do which will let me negotiate a visit to a nursery.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:36:40 PM »
Pine Island is not that far from Sarasota, compared with how far you're traveling. If you are interested in citrus - Harris Citrus Nursery, a little southeast of Tampa:
http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&ty=18&q=Harris%20Citrus%20Nursery%20Lithia%20FL&ss=ypid.YN873x131937969&ppois=27.8458404541016_-82.1455001831055_Harris%20Citrus%20Nursery_YN873x131937969~&cp=27.84584~-82.1455&v=2&sV=1
Michael

Maltrease

• SW Ohio
    • View Profile
    • EvilFree.com
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 04:48:40 PM »
Thanks!  That is perfect.  Anything within 20-30 minutes of I75 should be easy to fit in and Harris looks to be under 15.   :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »
Thanks!  That is perfect.  Anything within 20-30 minutes of I75 should be easy to fit in and Harris looks to be under 15.   :)

You cannot take citrus out of the State of Florida.
- Rob

Maltrease

• SW Ohio
    • View Profile
    • EvilFree.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 05:28:33 PM »
That applies to something you would drive out personally vs. shipping?  Harris even has a note - http://www.harriscitrus.com/store/shipping.php saying they are allowed to ship outside of Florida.

SunshineState

• Tampa Bay 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »
Kerbys. Lots of tropical fruit trees and it's 10 minutes off I75 in Tampa on your journey.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 08:26:21 PM »
That applies to something you would drive out personally vs. shipping?  Harris even has a note - http://www.harriscitrus.com/store/shipping.php saying they are allowed to ship outside of Florida.

Yes, they can ship (which is crazy as some of their stock i have seen is sickly and in lousy condition) but an individual or nursery cannot take any citrus plant or any "part" thereof (no scions, rootstock,  seeds, etc).
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 11:39:50 PM »
I have been to Harris nursery and walked through their nursery. Lots of yellow trees and leaf minor everywhere. What a dissapointing nursery. They do have a nice selection and the trees can be taken care of correctly and brought back.  Fruitscapes in Pine island is FANTASTIC. I really enjoy Pine Island and the nursery is awesome. The selection is really good and there is allot of older trees in the ground. You could get there in a little over an hour from Sarasota. If you are going to Disney/Orlando then you are about 30 minutes to Flying Fox. If you can make it there you will be impressed! As mentioned earlier
Just Fruits is also worth the detour. I went there once when I was coming back from Georgia and it added a couple hours plus a couple hours getting trees but I am sure glad I went. If you can make it to Flying Fox make sure you call and make an appointment. The two other nurserys mentioned have regular business hours.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 11:46:13 PM »
I forgot to add fruitscapes is about 25 minutes from Echo. Echo has 1/50th of the trees as fruitscapes and I am pretty sure they get some of their trees from Fruitscapes. Echo is nice though and they have some impressive bamboo in the ground.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 08:20:29 AM »
Echo is a good place to go.  You also have Jene's Tropicals in the Tampa area.  Definitely go to Pine Island, the whole Island is just cool to visit.  Many small farms that sell right out of their front yards.  There is a guy between Fruitscapes and Pine Island Road, that has a serious collection of fruit trees, I think it's called Pantropic Farm, he has a small sign right on Stringfellow, and I think he is on Cristo Way if I remember correctly.  Very impressive orchard!

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 04:56:59 PM »
n Sarasota is Troy's Tropics and Crowleys.     Crowley's is in the boonies but very interesting and lots of trees to pick from.   Troys is in town on Procter and has fruit trees as well.   

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 07:52:43 AM »
We are just a few miles west of I75 in Sarasota. I sent you a PM.

Maltrease

• SW Ohio
    • View Profile
    • EvilFree.com
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 11:13:35 AM »
Thank you for all of the fantastic suggestions!

@geosulcata, I replied to your PM and would love to visit.

Pine Island looks great and I'll try to arrange that on the same day we do the Echo trip. 

I don't think my wife will let me bring home more than 2-3 new plants which is quite reasonable considering how many I've already spread throughout the house. ;)  Still I'm excited to just look at what else is out there.

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »
Echo is a good place to visit. If you go to Pine Island the previous poster about the guy on Pine Island is correct on the location. He has stuff you won't see very often so definitely go there. He is usually only open in the afternoons everyday, and the mornings on occasional days. If you want to see if he has anything unusual, you have to ask and hope you are lucky.

Maltrease

• SW Ohio
    • View Profile
    • EvilFree.com
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »
For me anything you wouldn't see a Publics or Krogers grocery store will be unusual. ;)
I should be very easy to impress!

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »
Marie Selby botanical gardens is in Sarasota also.  Cost a few bucks but have a lot of stuff on Sarasota Bay.  Take your camera. 

Maltrease

• SW Ohio
    • View Profile
    • EvilFree.com
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »
We did the Marie Selby gardens last year.  They had a Christmas light setup, live band and some family events.  It was really fun! 

Maltrease

• SW Ohio
    • View Profile
    • EvilFree.com
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 02:42:53 PM »
I wanted to give an update on the trip.  Unfortunately, some unexpected work caused us shift our plans around so we missed Echo and most of the other excellent suggestions.  However, we get down to Florida 3-4 times/year so I'm sure we will still be able to check out everything.

We did manage to visit - http://www.sulcatagrove.com/ - which was a ton of fun.  The kids loved the giant turtles, chickens, hanging swing and getting try out a Miracle Berry for the first time.   I picked up a Florida Sweet Barbados Cherry which is doing fantastic back in the grow closet.  They also had some really interesting in-arch graphs on Jack Fruit trees.  Basically 2-3 root systems all feeding into a single tree which wasn't something I'd seen before.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 09:57:02 PM »
Sounds like a good trip, especially when the kids have a good time too.

In-arching is always cool to see  :D, its a dying propagation method.  :(

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 08:45:01 AM »
It was great meeting your family! Sorry the ECHO/Pine Island trip didn't work out. Next time. Glad to hear the Barbados cherry is doing well.