Author Topic: Jabo help  (Read 1522 times)

seanyk

• Fort Pierce
    • View Profile
Jabo help
« on: January 17, 2021, 10:11:00 AM »
Does anyone know why all of my jabos keep getting brown leaves? I try to water them every 2nd day. I really feel like it isn't from under watering. This is an escarlate.

I use well water for all of my jabos. Could that be the problem?

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Jabo help
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 10:31:38 AM »
I hate dry leaf tips, because opposite problems can cause the same symptoms.
It mat be getting either too much water, or not enough water.
Half way between waterings, dump the pot out and see if the soil is sopping wet or bone dry.  If moisture is good, the next two likely culprits are low humidity and over-fertilizing.
From what I understand, jabos don't like a lot of fertilizer. It can build up in the soil (sometimes people call it "salt" buildup, but it is not sodium, per se, it is just too much fertilizer) and burn leaf tips.  You can repot and add some more soil that has not been fertilized, cutting down on the amount in the soil.

Other folks might have some other good ideas.

Cheers,
Carolyn

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 02:38:19 PM »
what fertilizer are you using and how often?

seanyk

• Fort Pierce
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »
I havent used fertilizer on any if my jabos yet. Is it possible I'm watering too much?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 06:54:52 PM »
I havent used fertilizer on any if my jabos yet. Is it possible I'm watering too much?

Are you keeping them inside or outside  (from the picture it looks like its indoors)?
- Rob

seanyk

• Fort Pierce
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 08:33:51 PM »
Almost always outdoors. I took it inside because it was getting cold out. Wasn't sure how a small jabo would do under 40 degrees.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 10:19:07 PM »
I had a deep well on my property when I moved in. After a couple years I had issues with certain
trees including jabos and I had my water checked and it was very high in salts. I had an abandoned shallow well
and switched. That has helped allot.

I still have some burnt tips on some of my jabos and I notice
the big sellers on ebay allot of times also have the burnt tips on their leaves.
I also notice this past year that when I planted various jabo seeds they initially have a great set
of leaves and the second set is usually perfect. Then I start seeing deformation in the next set of leaves and burning
and I notice the roots are growig out of the small pots. I heard early on that jabos have a shallow root system
but it seems like jabo's roots need some space or the leaves are affected?
A couple months ago I  switched to root prune pots and also deep citri cups and with Winter coning their growth has slowed
but the new growth I have now is incredible.

A couple months ago I saw a jabo for sale on ebay and the new leaves looked terrible like mine use to.
In one of the pictures you could see the roots coming out the bottom of the pot. The tree still went for hundreds of dollars
but I wondered if it will survive? Allot of my trees have crashed that start having those deformed burnt leaves

Jabos seem to be pretty damn finicky and  can be affected by too much nitroegn, high ph, chlorinated or salty water, shallow pots,
too much sun to name a few.  The trees I transfered to root prune pots are showing great signs. I use epsoma holly tone
fertilizer, rain water or my shallow well water and with the right pots I hope I got all the basics down. I have visited
several high profile jabo collectors and their trees have the same issues as mine.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 11:16:03 PM »
I learned here that jaboticaba love to have their feet wet. So I have many seedlings in different pots inside a Shallow container with 2 cm of water. And they look happy
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 05:57:13 AM »
I learned here that jaboticaba love to have their feet wet. So I have many seedlings in different pots inside a Shallow container with 2 cm of water. And they look happy

Not all jabs love wet feet.Some wont grow roots into the water from the tray .I take note when they need repotting

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 02:57:47 PM »
No one mentioned soil ph yet, does soil ph matter for Jabo?  and could it be responsible for the observed symptoms?

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:39:55 PM »
I had a deep well on my property when I moved in. After a couple years I had issues with certain
trees including jabos and I had my water checked and it was very high in salts. I had an abandoned shallow well
and switched. That has helped allot.

What root-pruning pots are you using, and how big are the jaboticabas in them? Also, what sort of mix do you use for them in containers? How often do you feed the epsoma and at what rate? Sorry for all the questions, after buying my first early last year I’m slowly building up my collection of jabos and I’m still figuring out what makes them tick, especially in regards to container culture. I’ve done considerable research on them over the past couple years but it always helps to know what specific routine different people follow for their own plants.

Rain water is definitely a necessity for me...I thought I could get away with a couple waterings of my high ph (8.0) irrigation water but it burned the leaf tips on a beautiful red just 3 weeks later. It also seems I’ve overestimated how much sun a young potted jaboticaba can tolerate as my 3 year old plant has exhibited some leaf-yellowing (not iron related it seems) over the summer in 6+ hours of sun. It’s still in a 3 gallon pot though, so I think it’s also related to warm roots despite the fact I painted the pot white and tried to shade it. It grew from 1’ to 3’ in a year, which I suppose is pretty good growth despite it not always getting consistent water, a little too much sun, and only a few handfuls of compost throughout the entire time. Not quite sure if I should step up slowly to a 7 gallon, or to a 15 to give plenty of room for root growth?

I’m interested in the idea of keeping them in an air root pruning pot, since I don’t think I’ve heard much of anyone else trying such with jaboticabas, but am a little wary of the idea for myself since I’d figure they’d need much more watering and these are already fairly thirsty plants. (And I have limited amount of rainwater storage)

Speaking of root-pruning, I was originally planning on using MicroKote (copper based paint for pot interiors which prunes root-tips) for such a purpose since I’ve had some experience using it on annuals i.e. tomatoes and other veggies, and have had very good luck. I’d imagine a decently thick coating could last a good 4-5 years with a jaboticaba since their root systems aren’t particularly aggressive compared to a 8’ tall cherry tomato, and I’ve had a couple coated pots holding several of the latter for the past 2 years and the paint could probably still last another season. I’ll probably try it when I repot my biggest red.

No one mentioned soil ph yet, does soil ph matter for Jabo?  and could it be responsible for the observed symptoms?

It’s pretty darn established that jaboticabas like it acid, but some varieties are supposedly more sensitive than others. I’d say a ph of 6.5 would be the minimum, (5.5-6.0 would likely be safer) any higher and sulfur or chelated iron would be needed to help prevent signs of iron chlorosis. Watering a couple times with my irrigation water bumped up the ph to 7.0 for my largest jabo and I got some chlorosis as well as tip-burn, but an iron drench and subsequent waterings with rain water fixed it pretty quickly.

Also note that tip-burn in jaboticabas (at least in most common cases with significant symptoms) seems to be due to an excess of mineral salts (calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, etc.) and not exclusive to high ph, though high ph water or soil is often so because of an abundance of specific salts. I don’t see any major chlorosis in OP’s plant though, so while the ph might be fine, the burn is probably due to salty well water as achetadomestica suggested.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:52:06 PM by IndigoEmu »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 10:40:53 PM »
I got my pots from this web site
https://dealzer.com/10-root-pruning-pot-7-5l/?msclkid=f640c3acd97b1ca55123a3aa95364fb3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20PLA(BSC)&utm_term=4580153131446021&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231

I ordered $150 worth of various sizes and it took a while for them to ship and they still back ordered half
my shipment. It took a couple months total to complete the order but in the end the guy named Albert
sent me 10 extra free 20L pots. I will order again and get the 50L pots when I bump my larger trees.
I ended up getting better prices then the website but I had to talk to Albert.

For soil I use the promix I get from Diamond R
https://monstergardens.com/premier-tech-pro-mix-hp-mycorrhizae-3-8-cu-ft-bale.html?scid=scbplpgm_sm_008&sc_intid=gm_sm_008&msclkid=e4ccc3d523f514d94a24a3d370cf8aad&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC%20Shopping%20-%20General&utm_term=4574930447028943&utm_content=All%20Products

or I mix lambert peat mix I get from wal mart and add my own perlite.
I also add a small handful of tiger 90 sulpher every month for ph. And the epsoma I also put on the first of every month

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk