Author Topic: Visiting Florida late June. Suggestions?  (Read 1979 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Visiting Florida late June. Suggestions?
« on: March 14, 2021, 09:31:06 PM »
Probably Stuart/west palm on June 19th & 20th. I plan to stop by Alex‘s place. Who else has mangos to taste? Excalibur? Possibly some local grocery stores with good selections?

Next weekend in the keys/Miami. There’s a mango fest in key west I believe. Also fruit and spice park? Possibly Fairchild? But I think their tastings don’t start till July.

Shane

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Florida late June. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 09:41:50 PM »
Zills Mangos (Walter and Verna Zill) in Boynton Beach.

Hidden Acres Farm in Davie.
- Rob

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 01:14:01 AM »

Will they sell to the public? If so, I will be there!

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 01:36:06 AM »
Fruit and spice park in June you can walk and try different fruits
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 03:46:32 AM »
We'll be doing similar trip starting the 17th.  Hoping to snag all the mangoes up front, but marked a couple extra stops along the way in case.  Haven't vetted them all yet, and haven't finished looking for stuff in the later half, but possibly:

Walter Zill
Carribean Plants & Produce
Excalibur
Tropical Acres

Naga
Truly Tropical
YP
Hatcher

Hidden Acres
Alegria
Palmettto Bay Farmers Market

Fairchild

Pine Island
Siggi

Fruit & Spice
Mango Men
Serendib
Lyons

Robert Is Here
Redland Market Village

Grimal Grove

Any duds here, or other notables?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 07:10:44 AM »

Yes
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 07:12:07 AM »
We'll be doing similar trip starting the 17th.  Hoping to snag all the mangoes up front, but marked a couple extra stops along the way in case.  Haven't vetted them all yet, and haven't finished looking for stuff in the later half, but possibly:

Walter Zill
Excalibur
Tropical Acres

Naga
Truly Tropical
YP
Hatcher

Hidden Acres
Alegria

Fairchild

Pine Island
Siggi

Fruit & Spice
Mango Men
Serendib
Lyons

Robert Is Here
Redland Market Village

Grimal Grove

Dont know what all of the places are you named but you can skip Hatcher.
- Rob

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 11:15:54 AM »
Truly Tropical I highly recommend, also check out Robert is Here in Homestead/Miami area.
What is YP?

Walter Zill
Excalibur
Tropical Acres

Naga
Truly Tropical
YP
Hatcher

Hidden Acres
Alegria

Fairchild

Pine Island
Siggi

Fruit & Spice
Mango Men
Serendib
Lyons

Robert Is Here
Redland Market Village

Grimal Grove

Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 12:48:48 PM »
would contact Peace River Organics Matthew Reece (What's Ripening Florida). all natural not one chemical amazing taste like 60 varities of mango he is on facebook- no guarantee he will sell any but worth trying

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 03:22:47 PM »
Dont know what all of the places are you named but you can skip Hatcher.

Me neither.  This will be my first mango pilgrimage so was just scouring forum, yelp & google reviews for any place that might hint at a fruit stand with mangos.  Will have to call them up when we get closer to confirm varieties, availability, hours.  Thanks for helping weed out though.

YP is https://ypfarms.com/.  Oops, that was a potential lychee, vs mango, source.  Not yet sure if it is worth trying to drive out extra to Loxahatchee area, since we're staying in Boca Raton, but was just keeping it as possible (as well as Naga & Carribean) to check on later.

Will look into Peace River.  Thanks!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 05:50:54 PM »
Not sure what will be of the lychee season in Loxahatchee due to the erinose mites.  A friend of mine us commercial grower near YP that had his trees chopped and treated by the USDA due to the mites last year.
- Rob

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 01:01:53 PM »
Probably Stuart/west palm on June 19th & 20th. I plan to stop by Alex‘s place. Who else has mangos to taste? Excalibur? Possibly some local grocery stores with good selections?

Next weekend in the keys/Miami. There’s a mango fest in key west I believe. Also fruit and spice park? Possibly Fairchild? But I think their tastings don’t start till July.
if you go to only one place, go to Robert Is Here

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 01:13:33 PM »

That would be one of the last places I would go if looking for fresh fruit.  Its good for fresh squeezed sugar cane juice but beyond that, its more of a tourist destination that may or may not have limited generic local fruit.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »

That would be one of the last places I would go if looking for fresh fruit.  Its good for fresh squeezed sugar cane juice but beyond that, its more of a tourist destination that may or may not have limited generic local fruit.

Every time I go to Homestead I go visit and it's always a letdown.
Never can find anything rare (By my standards) or local.
Usually, I see various citrus, a few different bananas, Jackfruit and Mamey Sapote.

@shaneatwell
Since your coming during the mango season, I think there are a lot better options.
IF you're coming with your family and want to enjoy the sights (not solely a mango pilgrimage) it might be worth it.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 06:30:46 PM »
Thanks. We might just do F&S in homestead and call it good for there.

I am curious regarding the west palm nurseries what times they’re open. I saw Alex’s schedule from last year I think and it was midday on the weekend and afternoon/evening on weekdays. What about Zills Excalibur etc? Will I be able to bounce from place to place all day or will I have to chose one?
Shane

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 07:02:23 PM »
I recently took delivery of a Queen Anne Macadamia from Sow Exotic and was really happy with its condition.

But not long after the fact I stumbled upon a place called Brackin's Macadamia Orchard in Plant City and I suspect that they might be the actual growers for several retailers of that tree in FL.

From the Brackin's FB page it looks like they have regular tours/sales/tasting events that might be worth a look if - like me - you happened to be searching for something besides the more commonly available Beaumont and Cate varieties. 

On a related Mac Nut front, while I was searching for my tree, I discovered mention online of the late, lamented George Anderson Arboretum - the guy who seems to have been the Godfather of FL Mac Nut propagation until his recent passing. His operation was sold to a gentleman named Cliff Mohr, whom I had the good fortune to be introduced over the phone a few months ago. Cliff also spoke highly of the Queen Anne tree and that sort of sealed the deal about what I would buy.

Brackin's doesn't ship, BTW, so having the chance to see their trees first hand might be worthwhile.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 08:45:38 PM »
I recently took delivery of a Queen Anne Macadamia from Sow Exotic and was really happy with its condition.

But not long after the fact I stumbled upon a place called Brackin's Macadamia Orchard in Plant City and I suspect that they might be the actual growers for several retailers of that tree in FL.

From the Brackin's FB page it looks like they have regular tours/sales/tasting events that might be worth a look if - like me - you happened to be searching for something besides the more commonly available Beaumont and Cate varieties. 

On a related Mac Nut front, while I was searching for my tree, I discovered mention online of the late, lamented George Anderson Arboretum - the guy who seems to have been the Godfather of FL Mac Nut propagation until his recent passing. His operation was sold to a gentleman named Cliff Mohr, whom I had the good fortune to be introduced over the phone a few months ago. Cliff also spoke highly of the Queen Anne tree and that sort of sealed the deal about what I would buy.

Brackin's doesn't ship, BTW, so having the chance to see their trees first hand might be worthwhile.

What does this post have to do with this thread?
- Rob

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 09:24:47 PM »
Looks like someone had too many tabs open.
Shane

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 09:28:47 PM »
Lara Farms Homestead. Highly recommended

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 09:35:33 PM »
Your best bet is to do a prepaid for pick up order at Tropical Acre Farms 3 days before you're going to be there. It's easier just to tell Alex what you don't want. For me it's the Alphonso  class and carrie. I usually order 20 to 30 lb. That way you get to try a variety of mangoes. You could make a note Citrus coconut tart.
Unless truly Tropicals changes her first come first serve online procedures from last year. I would only go there to buy a tree because all you're going to see is the front gate I went there three times to pick up prepaid trees and was only able to score one drop bag of mangoes  Doing the online ordering system. The ladies bridge club of Delray Beach have it gamed out. They know what time she post her supplies as she gets them . I actually took a day off work and hit the refresh button every minute. At the end of the day all I scored was a bag of sapodilla. My mistake was walking out to the end of my driveway to pick up a live trap from a friend and shoot the breeze for a few minutes and missed opportunity to get fruit. I'm actually going to be a mango tourist. I live 4 hours away but I booked a resort in West Palm and one in Deerfield Beach in June and July.Hopefully if I visit Walter zill's establishment I can get a chance to ask him about Sophie Frey mango. I want to know does it taste like its mother Julie or like its Offspring Carrie. I believe he wrote that Pickering has a Sophy Frey growth habit. What I want to ask him if any of the newer zill varieties can that term be used. Or which ones have a somewhat similar Sophie Frey growth habit.
I just made up the ladies bridge club but it does seem like something similar is happening :)
After you have your mangoes I would visit Coral Castle in Homestead and the Sawgrass Mall in Fort Lauderdale. Westin
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:54:09 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 09:54:35 PM »
Lara Farms Homestead. Highly recommended

For fruit or just trees?
Shane

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 10:07:06 PM »
Call Julian Lara. Pandemic had changed the world. Before it he gave a tour to my friends. Have both small and big trees.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 04:43:31 AM »
.Hopefully if I visit Walter zill's establishment I can get a chance to ask him about Sophie Frey mango. I want to know does it taste like its mother Julie or like its Offspring Carrie. I believe he wrote that Pickering has a Sophy Frey growth habit. What I want to ask him if any of the newer zill varieties can that term be used. Or which ones have a somewhat similar Sophie Frey growth habit.
I just made up the ladies bridge club but it does seem like something similar is happening :)
After you have your mangoes I would visit Coral Castle in Homestead and the Sawgrass Mall in Fort Lauderdale. Westin

We have a Sophie Frey tree that is fruiting this year.

Gary Zill told me on more than one occasion that he didn’t think Much of it, but he’s of that opinion about a number of mangos that many think are pretty good.

I think Walter may have held it in higher regard though.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
Is there any mango tasting at the mango festival in key west?
Shane

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 08:48:07 PM »

Yes

I'm a little late, but thanks bro!!! 8)