Author Topic: What's wrong with my Loquats?  (Read 1577 times)

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
What's wrong with my Loquats?
« on: April 18, 2020, 12:01:06 AM »

A few of my Big Jim Loquats are doing this. I cut them open, no bugs. Weather has been a little cold (gloomy 65f-70f daytime) and we just got a little rain. They almost look like...well lets just say I wasn't sure if I should mark this post NSFW ;D Anyone had this problem before?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:18:35 AM by shmojojojo »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with my Loquats?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 12:10:33 AM »
Looks kind of like fireblight.

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 12:38:29 AM »
Oh man. That's not good. I did notice some blackening, drying and falling off of some of the flowering stems earlier in the spring. I guess I'll start pruning and a vinegar treatment before moving on to some stronger stuff.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 12:54:06 AM »
Our normally trouble-free springs interrupted by some rain. My peach has some leaf curl as well. Just a little more upkeep than usual.

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 01:04:11 AM »
Yeah, the rain came at the worst time a couple weeks ago, just as everything was blooming. I took my little paint brush and tried to pollinate as much as I could before the storm hit. Looks like I'm getting about half the amount of fruit from my Red Baron peach this year compared to last. What kind of peach are you growing?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 01:25:40 AM »
The same, I'm not especially happy about the astringency of it's fruit though.
I'm going to give it more potassium and calcium this year to try and improve the crop, but it's been a let down for the last couple years, I'm getting ready to top-work to a white peach which I strongly prefer anyways.

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 02:06:15 AM »
The same

That's funny, although I guess we have pretty limited peaches choices in SoCal. I was thinking about adding to my tree. Which white did you go with?

Hope you get a better batch this year. They are probably my favorite fruit in my yard. I love a good ripe yellow peach and they look great  :)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 02:43:42 AM »
I hear great things about Arctic Star, and I really like Tropic Snow. Unfortunately their seasons overlap leading to a glut. I'm not above eating dried peaches though, and I've considered a freeze drier for the future.

My peaches(Red Baron) have flesh that is far too soft and juicy (more like watery), I'm thinking it's a Calcium issue.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »
shmojojojo, your peach bloom is beautiful but keep and eye on your loquat and if the dead moves into your branches you'll want cut below a good 10-12" below death to try and stop fireblight!! You could spray with anti-fungal too but that is better before a strike of blight.

dmwong93

• Father Fruit
    • USA, Southern CA, Zone 10b, E. Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 02:35:41 PM »
My Eva's Pride peach does good. Also blooms and fruits very early.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »

A few of my Big Jim Loquats are doing this. I cut them open, no bugs. Weather has been a little cold (gloomy 65f-70f daytime) and we just got a little rain. They almost look like...well lets just say I wasn't sure if I should mark this post NSFW ;D Anyone had this problem before?

Could be Fusicladium eriobrotryae Check out second pic, not exactly the same but... https://www.agroes.es/fotos-videos/fotos/fotos-de-agricultura/cultivos-lenosos-frutales-y-vid/manzanos/enfermedades-de-frutales-de-pepita/moteado-del-nispero-21888

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 10:06:35 PM »
I went out to Anna and found a Fireblight eating back a branch. Glad I caught it when I did, Anna never seems to mind a little sanitation pruning.

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 11:10:45 PM »
 Thank you everyone for your advice. I went out and did some pruning today. The Loquat tree in my childhood home is the fruit that got me into fruits to begin with.  I hope this one recovers :(