Author Topic: lychee chlorosis?  (Read 2354 times)

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
lychee chlorosis?
« on: December 27, 2014, 06:31:54 PM »
I have seen some of my lychee trees exhibit some leaves which looks like either chlorosis or simple sunburn. The leaves are predominantly on limbs that have been girdled and mostly on the side of the tree getting the most direct sunlight at this time of year.
                              100_2605 by kanku123, on Flickr                              
The trees all looked perfect until late november just about when flowering was expected. I was wondering if a late micronutrient spray would help this situation. Of course there are little to no flower buds on these areas.
                              100_2605 by kanku123, on Flickr                              

I must say that I have had this much worse in the past and this year it is actually at a manageable level, but I'm already planning for next year. :) Any thoughts?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: lychee chlorosis?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Looks like sunburn to me.

Simon

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »
Simon I agree. But what I can't figure is why it is when the sun is at its least harshest and why only at that particular time of year. So is there  nutrients that would make them more resistant to this if it is sunburn is what I'm asking.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 04:20:20 AM »
Agree it looks like sunburn. I don't know the cause, but would guess it is involved with the girdling, since you say most of the leaves showing burn are on girdled branches. My guess would be that the girdling is somehow robbing the leaves of some nutrients that protects the leaves from burn. But how or what that is...don't know.
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:42:59 AM »
Not sure how good of an option this is, try misting tree at the intense time

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 10:31:22 AM »
Better option, dont girdle lychee trees.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
Better option, dont girdle lychee trees.

I think due to him being in  Jamaica, maybe he's had better success with fruiting by girdling. In FL, not girdling would be sound advice though.

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 12:39:01 PM »
Murahilin, That is correct, flowering is possible here without girdling but results in my experience are much more reliable with it.

Oscar, thanks, that was my line of thinking. As I have never used micronutrients was just thinking of starting a program for the 2014 - 15 year, hoping that that would somehow help.

Doglips, Misting may be possible with a single tree but I have two acres to deal with.

Thanks for your input everybody.

(Of note we had 6 to 8 weeks of hard regular rains in October to mid november then back to dry conditions)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk